Cold weather test...

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 17, 2006
      Hey guys. Just wanted to post a quick update of my first use of a
      hammock in cold(er) temps. This past weekend I was out along the
      AT, and temps were hovering around the upper 20's and low 30's. I
      packed in my Mountain Hardware mummy bag, a CCF pad, and a
      lightweight fleece blanket to line my bag with. This proved to be
      overkill, but I figured better safe than sorry. My pack weight was
      not terrible, still nicely under 30 pounds with food/water included,
      and I'm pretty sure I can cut out one or the other of my insulating
      methods.

      Right now I'm leaning to leaving the CCF at home as it was a tad
      awkward in the hammock...and by the morning half of it was hanging
      off the side of the hammock anyway. Were I to be going out in temps
      below 20 degrees, I would likely still bring both, but I was more
      than comfortable.

      A method some may not have considered for staying warm which I carry
      over from my pre-hammock experiences is to make a warm water
      bottle. Most of us already carry some sort of lexan water
      container. I carry one in addition to my camelbak, just for ease of
      water collection/treatment. If you warm (*note* do not boil--you
      will burn yourself) some water and fill your nalgene, it will be a
      constant source of heat throughout the night. I usually stick the
      bottle at my feet, or between my knees. Some find it awkward, but I
      don't personally find it a bother.

      Here's to the coming months, and those who see no need to stay out
      of the woods because it's cold! Besides, the winter can be some of
      the best times to get some solitude in nature with fewer people
      along trails and willing to brave the temps.

      -Matt
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 17, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gtwnresdnt@...> wrote:

        > A method some may not have considered for staying warm which I carry
        > over from my pre-hammock experiences is to make a warm water
        > bottle.

        I haven't tried this yet, but someone also posted that they make their
        oatmeal breakfast at bedtime. Put it in the Nalgene and it not only
        keeps you warm at night, it's still warm and ready to eat in the
        morning...no morning cooking and you still get a warm breakfast.

        I guess you could put freezer bag oatmeal in there and still not have
        to clean anything, too.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 17, 2006
          Matt <gtwnresdnt@...> wrote:.

          A method some may not have considered for staying warm which I carry
          over from my pre-hammock experiences is to make a warm water
          bottle. Most of us already carry some sort of lexan water
          container. I carry one in addition to my camelbak, just for ease of
          water collection/treatment. If you warm (*note* do not boil--you
          will burn yourself) some water and fill your nalgene, it will be a
          constant source of heat throughout the night. I usually stick the
          bottle at my feet, or between my knees. Some find it awkward, but I
          don't personally find it a bother.
          ### i did that for the first time last winter. MAN !!! did that feel good to my cold feet. helped warm everything under the quilt pretty quick too, so i got to warm & had to vent. not a bad source of heat for the cost of a fule tab.

          Here's to the coming months, and those who see no need to stay out
          of the woods because it's cold! Besides, the winter can be some of
          the best times to get some solitude in nature with fewer people
          along trails and willing to brave the temps.
          ### i agree. looking forward to cooler temps. ...tim

          -Matt

          ..

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 17, 2006

            > helped warm everything under the quilt
            > pretty quick too, so i got to warm & had to vent.

            If you heat the water at dinner, you can put it inside your hammock in
            your quilt while you eat. When you crawl into bed, it'll already be
            warm for you. Much better than cold nylon.

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 17, 2006
              one thing i forgot to mention is that you`ll probably need to put it in something.
              some people use a sock (will dry your wet socks, but be prepared for a real stink), but i used a cozy made of reflex (like windshield material). having it in something keeps it hot longer & distributes the heat more slowly over a longer period of time. also keeps you from making direct contact w/ the bottle when it`s still pretty hot.
              i used a gator aid bottle & the cozy gave a little protection against the possibillity of twisting on the cap w/ your legs. a pretty light combo for that kind of luxury.
              good idea jeff about having a warm bed to craw into.
              ...tim

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 17, 2006

                > one thing i forgot to mention is that you`ll probably need to put it
                in something.

                I found a fleece-lined silnylon ThermaRest stuff sack at the REI
                member sale - it was like $4 or something, and it's the short kind.
                Great for a clothing sack/pillow, and it's the right size for the
                nalgene cantene.

                I was also gonna sew a stuffsack out of a packtowel...clothing bag and
                pillow, plus a normal pack towel if needed. Haven't tried that yet,
                though.

                I used socks at first...and since I was wearing my sleeping sock, that
                meant I had to use the dirty ones. Holy crap do those things stink
                when you put a hot water bottle in there. Definitely worth carrying
                something extra, even if it's just for that purpose!

                Jeff
              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 18, 2006
                  has anyone used those neoprene cooler sacks? they come in several
                  sizes: can, bottle, lunch bag (stitching down 1/3 allows for bottle
                  on one side and food on the other)

                  How effective are they for retaining cold/heat?

                  sandy in miami

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > one thing i forgot to mention is that you`ll probably need to put
                  it
                  > in something.
                  >
                  > I found a fleece-lined silnylon ThermaRest stuff sack at the REI
                  > member sale - it was like $4 or something, and it's the short
                  kind.
                  > Great for a clothing sack/pillow, and it's the right size for the
                  > nalgene cantene.
                  >
                  > I was also gonna sew a stuffsack out of a packtowel...clothing bag
                  and
                  > pillow, plus a normal pack towel if needed. Haven't tried that
                  yet,
                  > though.
                  >
                  > I used socks at first...and since I was wearing my sleeping sock,
                  that
                  > meant I had to use the dirty ones. Holy crap do those things stink
                  > when you put a hot water bottle in there. Definitely worth
                  carrying
                  > something extra, even if it's just for that purpose!
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 18, 2006
                    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-
                    bin/backpackinglight/integral_designs_hot_socks__spotlite_review.html

                    > one thing i forgot to mention is that you`ll probably need to put
                    it in something.
                    > some people use a sock (will dry your wet socks, but be prepared
                    for a real stink), but i used a cozy made of reflex (like windshield
                    material). having it in something keeps it hot longer & distributes
                    the heat more slowly over a longer period of time. also keeps you
                    from making direct contact w/ the bottle when it`s still pretty hot.
                    > i used a gator aid bottle & the cozy gave a little protection
                    against the possibillity of twisting on the cap w/ your legs. a
                    pretty light combo for that kind of luxury.
                    > good idea jeff about having a warm bed to craw into.
                    > ...tim
                    >
                    > Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: -.
                    > If you heat the water at dinner, you can put it inside your hammock
                    in
                    > your quilt while you eat. When you crawl into bed, it'll already
                    be
                    > warm for you. Much better than cold nylon.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • ij santiago
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18, 2006
                      Sandy, I have the one that fits the Nalgene bottle.. I love it!! I freeze my
                      water and it keeps it from melting in the Ga heat and humidity for a long
                      while.. Next i will use hot water to pre-heat my hammock and see how it will
                      work out!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 18, 2006
                        sandy... link didn`t go through, but i`ll go to backpackinglight.com & check it out.
                        and i`ve looked at the neopren cozys. looks like they would work great.
                        ...tim

                        Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:
                        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-
                        bin/backpackinglight/integral_designs_hot_socks__spotlite_review.html
                        .
                        .

                      • CC Wayah
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 18, 2006
                          I'm not so sure about the neoprene cozies. They may insulate too much to
                          that you don't get enough heat into your hammock???
                          CCWayah
                          Yes it's me Ed I've finally signed in and spoken up.
                        • chcoa
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 18, 2006
                            Welcome CC,

                            I'm looking forward to hearing how the inagural night goes in
                            your "new" hammock!! :)

                            Jamie in AZ

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 19, 2006
                              Jaime,
                              When I got home form work around 8PM, I asked my husband why he didn't have
                              it set up for me yet!.
                              His answer was that there's no light out in the back porch. We have put in
                              heavy duty eye hooks on the posts.

                              > I'm looking forward to hearing how the inagural night goes in your "new"
                              hammock!! :)

                              Right now it's far too warm outside in Chattanooga to do a cold weather
                              test.

                              CCWayah
                              And thanks Jamie for the unexpected gift. A handfull of Arizona oak leaves
                              for the fall season and my composter!.
                              .
                            • chcoa
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 19, 2006
                                Oak leaves??? Oh my gosh!! My apologies. The last time I had it
                                set up I was teaching a backpacking/hiking class to several woman up
                                in Prescott AZ. Rain was threatening while we were "playing" with
                                some of the gear I brought and I took it down in a hurry. I thought
                                I had it all mucked out later but clearly I missed some stuff.