Re: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2003
      Rick-

      Cool!  Pardon me for "profiling."  I don't expect most men to know much about fabrics.  Guys in auto parts stores didn't usually expect me to have a clue about which part I'd need.  We can all feel the pinch, I guess.

      Keep us posted as to whether or not you want to switch to no-see-um in the dog days of summer.  There have been nights I was tempted to take out window screens because they impede airflow.

      Try "cutting" the chiffon with a quick pass with a hot soldering iron.  Hold the edge with a metal rule, or one that you don't mind damage to the edge.

      From: "Rick" <geoflyfisher@...>
      Subject: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net

      The stuff is very sheer.  It was labeled chiffon in WalMart - made of
      polyester.  Very lightweight, much lighter in feel than noseeum.  It
      seems very strong!  I have used it for more than a week of camping
      and had no problem with snags, tearing, or other problems.  Only
      problem I had was that it needs to have its edge seared, unlike
      noseeum which does not need this treatment.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      >Rick-
      >
      >Do you really mean "chiffon," or could you be talking about a fine
      nylon net

      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2003
        Rosaleen,

        No appology needed... I just wish I could get more of the XY members
        of this group interested in the little bit of sewing necessary to do
        hammock experiments.

        I am going to switch to noseeum for now anyway... I really did not
        like that wet feeling early in the AM from absorbed moisture.

        I have tried cutting nylon and other fraying fabrics several ways. I
        keep coming back to a method I learned while making skin on frame
        kayaks... A cheap wood handled steak knife (or cheese knife) heated
        about a half inch from the pointly end to dull red with a propane
        torch.

        I have found that almost all "plastic" fabrics need to be cut this
        way (nylons, polyester) with the major exceptions being silnylon and
        noseeum net.

        Have fun sewing.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > Rick-
        >
        > Cool! Pardon me for "profiling." I don't expect most men to know
        much about
        > fabrics. Guys in auto parts stores didn't usually expect me to
        have a clue
        > about which part I'd need. We can all feel the pinch, I guess.
        >
        > Keep us posted as to whether or not you want to switch to no-see-um
        in the
        > dog days of summer. There have been nights I was tempted to take
        out window
        > screens because they impede airflow.
        >
        > Try "cutting" the chiffon with a quick pass with a hot soldering
        iron. Hold
        > the edge with a metal rule, or one that you don't mind damage to
        the edge.

        > > From: "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net
        > >
        > > The stuff is very sheer. It was labeled chiffon in WalMart -
        made of
        > > polyester. Very lightweight, much lighter in feel than noseeum.
        It
        > > seems very strong! I have used it for more than a week of
        camping
        > > and had no problem with snags, tearing, or other problems. Only
        > > problem I had was that it needs to have its edge seared, unlike
        > > noseeum which does not need this treatment.
        > >
        > > Rick
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > > >Rick-
        > > >
        > > >Do you really mean "chiffon," or could you be talking about a
        fine
        > > nylon net

      • robi dawson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2003
          Rick,

          For what it's worth, I Rob Dawson, am interested in sewing my own hammock gear and making kayaks/canoes, skin on frame, again lots of sewing.....

          In fact I have become so intrigued with the idea of sewing my own gear, that i plan on making lots.

          there are lots of things i need (OK, would really like) and sewing my own will give me the satisfaction that I have made it myself. I truly believe the time spent on creating things is time well spent. Much nicer than a store bought item.

          for example, my children go to a Waldorf Steiner school... point is in grade 3, they knit hats as part of their handy craft lessons. I have been wearing one my son Aron made for the last two winters, i get laughed at because it looks a bit strange, not so good color combinations and he was not knitted evenly. But it was made by someone special to me and with love and I would not trade that for any store bought, mass produced hat!

          I guess i am old fashioned with this attitude towards homemade gear/items... well, enough of this gibberish, have to get out and finish the cob oven i am building with the kids so we can make even better bread and pizzas...

          robi

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          a3e6d.jpg
          a3efa.jpg