Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: New style Hammock

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2006
      Funny you should mention that Tim. On my last AT hike I decided to
      sleep in a shelter with a guy we had met on the trail. He had a fever
      and I wanted to be close by (the closest hanging trees were quite a
      ways away) in case he needed help during the night. I only had my
      ridge rest and my SPE for padding. I folded the wings under the SPE
      and doubled the pad thickness. Don't get me wrong, I won't be trading
      in my hammock and doing the shelter hopping routine anytime soon but
      better to have Two layers that one 'tween me and the wood floor. I'm
      guessing that if it's cold enough to be using an Exped I would
      probably need the 1/2" inserts for my SPE wings and could fold them up
      to use as groung insulation if my inflatable should die on me. I Don't
      remember if you have an SPE or not but your line of thinking just
      saved me the weight and bulk of my ridgerest as backup ground
      insulation. Thanks!

      Brian
      T-BACK