Re: [Hammock Camping] support attachment questions

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2006
      From: Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

      > PS Just a thought on the double hammock experiments. Since the
      > purpose of
      > the double layer is to a) keep skeeters away, or b) hold up a pad,
      > wold mesh
      > be lighter?

      Some types of mesh would be lighter. This would probably hold a pad
      just fine but unless it was hanging very loosely and the hammock was
      pulled out from the sides to open it up, there would be very little
      mosquito protection. I haven't found any single layer material that
      protects me from these little little buggers. It might be because I
      weigh 250 #'s and I stretch the weave of the fabric open enough to
      allow them to bite me. I have made a hammock that has mesh as a
      second layer sewn to the main body. It took lots of trial and error
      and help from the wife while I was in the hammock to get the geometry
      right so that the netting was not touching the areas that my body was
      against. It works well for hot, swampy, bug infested areas that I
      sometimes frequent. Sometimes frequent...hmmm...is that an oxymoron?
      Anyway back to the question at hand, the extra layer of nylon I
      believe forces the a moquitos to insert its proboscus (snout:P)
      through one layer of fabric and then be
      nd it through the weave of the next layer in order to get to my skin.
      This is all theory of course but what ever the reason it has stopped
      the bites and allows me to sleep bare skinned (sorry for the visual
      folks) against the hammock in hot weather. Sleeping cooler in hot
      weather is the reason I first tried a hammock in the first place.
      Hope all this rambling make sense to you...

      Brian
      T-BACK