CC Straps or happy birthday to me!

  • BRIAN
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
      I got my Crazy Creek straps two days ago. I finished my set-up last
      night and WOW! I cut the straps about a foot from the buckle and
      sewed a loop large enough for the buckle to pass through in the free
      end. Those two pieces form cinch loops around my hammock ends. The
      remaining pieces of strapping also have loops sewn into one of each
      of their ends. Setting up is a breeze now. Not that it was a chore
      before but I have to admit that my 250 pound butt often caused the
      old straps to stretch enough to need retying at least once before I
      settled in for the night. Now I just bring the strap around each
      tree (2 or 3 times on my pipe hammock stand to prevent slippage)
      pull one end of the hammock out of the stuff sack and lace it
      through the buckle. Pull the hammock out of the sack by walking
      toward the other tree, pick up the strap and lace the other buckle
      and cinch it so that the hammock never touches the ground.
      Then I make final adjustments by tightening/loosening each end and
      I'm ready to get in. On my stand I can be set up in about a
      minute. Take down is about the same if you include stuffing the
      hammock. I found that I can carry shorter straps now because I don't
      have to tie knots anymore. At Hot Springs Jeff was wondering if a
      single strap and buckle would hold up (without being doubled up like
      the standard CC set-up). I'd say that it is safe to use. I even
      bounced (a little, with my hands over my face to protect me from the
      buckle) to make sure I was safe. The straps tightened slightly on
      the pipes but held up fine. Thanks to Jeff for bringing his CC
      hammock to the hangout and inspiring me to attempt this project.
      What an awesome mod to my hammock. Pictures to follow.

      Brian
      T-BACK
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
        sound`s quite interresting brian. looking forward to seeing the photos.
        and happy BD ...tim

        BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...> wrote: I got my Crazy Creek straps two days ago. I finished my set-up last
[...]

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
          Awesome - glad it works for ya! It really is easier than tying, and
          if the buckle ever fails (doubt it) you still have the straps for a
          standard webbing system.

          Did you get any stretch in the straps? CC said they're nylon. I
          never noticed stretch but I was using them as designed with two
          lengths of strap supporting each side.

          Jeff
        • BRIAN
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
            > if the buckle ever fails (doubt it) you still have the straps for a
            > standard webbing system.
            >
            > Did you get any stretch in the straps? CC said they're nylon. I
            > never noticed stretch but I was using them as designed with two
            > lengths of strap supporting each side.
            >
            > Jeff

            I haven't spent the night in it yet (maybe tonite)but so far I haven't
            noticed any stretch from the straps. That's a great idea about having
            the straps as backup. Hopefully I won't find the buckle imbedded in my
            skull if it breaks. :P

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
              The photos are uploaded and thanks for the birthday wishes!

              Brian
              T-BACK

              > sound`s quite interresting brian. looking forward to seeing the
              > photos. and happy BD ...tim
            • BRIAN
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
                > Did you get any stretch in the straps? CC said they're nylon. I
                > never noticed stretch but I was using them as designed with two
                > lengths of strap supporting each side.
                >
                > Jeff

                I spent two nights in the hammock (this made the dog very happy!) and I
                did not notice any stretch at all. I love this set up. I found that
                the bottom layer completely seals the bugnet to the hammock with no
                velcro or zippers. I also changed my tarp lines so that they can be
                adjusted while I'm under it and out of the rain. I put two small
                carbiners on the ridge tieouts so that I can first clip them around the
                trees and tighten/adjust them at the tarp.
                Works great in the yard now I need an extended hike to test them out.

                Brian
                T-BACK
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Works great in the yard now I need an extended hike to test them out.
                  >
                  > Brian
                  > T-BACK

                  Brian,

                  Are you hiking to test out gear or are you testing out gear so you can
                  hike? I know sometimes it is hard to tell but you need to get your
                  story straight when you go ask for permisssion. <grin>

                  Dave
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
                    > Are you hiking to test out gear or are you testing out gear so you
                    can
                    > hike? I know sometimes it is hard to tell but you need to get your
                    > story straight when you go ask for permisssion. <grin>

                    HAHAHA - that's great, Dave. Good life advice.

                    Jeff
                  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
                      Dave,

                      Right now I'm hiking to test my gear. Sometime before 2008 I'm going
                      to switch my angle to testing gear so that I can take a long hike.
                      Then in 2008 I'm planning on taking a loooong hike. That's my story
                      and I'm stickin to it! :^)

                      Brian
                      T-BACK