Re: Hammock Camping AT Section Hike

  • Tony Burnett
    Message 1 of 25 , May 29, 2003
      Funny you mention this. I just read that "other stuff" is required
      to help absorb Glucosamine sulfate. Of course, in was on a "vendors"
      site, so I took it with a grain of salt.

      See Item #7 on this
      http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/arthritis-tips/
      page.

      The only item I see that you mentioned that I have concerns about is
      chondroitin. Most of what I read, and what my pharmacists told me,
      states that this stuff just isn't absorbed well, if at all, via oral
      meds. I think Ed mentioned this as well.

      --- amy <askowronek@...> wrote:
      > I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in
      > combination
      > with
      > other substances. Both my old horses are on a supplement which
      > contains
      > glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c. I ran out and used a
      >
      > glucosamine
      > only supplement for a while. The combo definitely worked better,
      > in
      > that
      > while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy
      > within
      > two weeks.
      >
      > Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology,
      > of
      > course.
      >
      > -amy

      =====
      Tony

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 25 , May 29, 2003
        > Amy, that MSM is probably better than either glucosamine or
        chrondroitin
        > for joints--I'd be taking it except it's very, very expensive...Ed

        I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
        combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
        take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
        them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
        tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
        price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
        glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.
        Message 3 of 25 , May 29, 2003
          Message
          Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll check that out...Ed

          > Amy, that MSM is probably better than either glucosamine or
          chrondroitin
          > for joints--I'd be taking it except it's very, very expensive...Ed

          I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
          combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
          take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
          them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
          tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
          price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
          glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.

        • amy
          Message 4 of 25 , May 29, 2003
            On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 11:35 AM, colonelcorn76 wrote:

            > I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
            > combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
            > take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
            > them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
            > tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
            > price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
            > glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.

            You don't even want to know how much it costs to dose two eleven hundred
            pound animals with the stuff daily. :)

            -amy
            Message 5 of 25 , May 30, 2003
              Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff. My knee is doing better
              with rest and occasional vit I. I did a bit of an internet search on
              the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

              As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
              of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

              Article I studied is here:

              http://tinyurl.com/415d

              Rick,
              The country doctor,
              Hammock hanger,
              sewing maniac,
              limping AT hiker
              > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
              > check that out...Ed

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=17
              05
              > 065843:HM/A=1595053/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?
              YH=3

              Message 6 of 25 , May 30, 2003
                Message
                Rick, I noticed improvement in my knees after only two weeks--some people don't notice anything for 4 weeks or so. In any event, I'm confident you will feel better if you stick with it....Ed

                Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
                with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
                the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                Article I studied is here:

                http://tinyurl.com/415d

                Rick,
                The country doctor,
                Hammock hanger,
                sewing maniac,
                limping AT hiker
                > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                > check that out...Ed

              • robi dawson
                Message 7 of 25 , May 30, 2003
                  With all this talk of glucosamine of late i was wondering what the side'negative effects of it can be? Is there any known long term minuses for taking so much?

                  rob

                  b96a6.jpg
                  b9725.jpg

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 31, 2003
                    Message
                    No, Robi, there are no serious known side effects.  The link Rick gave below mentiones some minor ones--but the medical book I have gives none...Ed

                    Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
                    with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
                    the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                    As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                    of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                    Article I studied is here:

                    http://tinyurl.com/415d

                    Rick,
                    The country doctor,
                    Hammock hanger,
                    sewing maniac,
                    limping AT hiker
                    > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                    > check that out...Ed

                  • dawnhark
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 19, 2003
                      Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                      Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                      says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also warned
                      me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it and
                      it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com

                      Dawn
                    • alidisaster
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                        Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                        arthritis)
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                        > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                        > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                        warned
                        > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                        and
                        > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                        >
                        > Dawn
                      • Risk
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                          Dawn,

                          Vit I: TrailName for ibuprophen aka Motrin aka Advil; I take 400 mg
                          when anything/everything is sore, usually just in the morning when
                          hiking, but can be used 4 times a day. After a couple days on the
                          trail, I usually don't need it anymore.

                          Oh, and for Ed who was looking for an inexpensive source of
                          Glucosamine: Sams Club (next to Walmart most places) has plain
                          Glucosamine 1000 mg; 240 tabs for $9.50 At $.04 per tab and Ed's
                          recommended daily dose of 2000 mg (2 gm) it ends up costing $2.40 a
                          month.

                          That is the best price I have found in the last month of looking.

                          Rick

                          wrote:

                          > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                          > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                          > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                          warned
                          > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                          and
                          > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                          >
                          > Dawn
                        • dawnhark
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 21, 2003
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                            <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                            > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                            > arthritis)

                            I'm sure there is, but LOL I can only afford it for my dog right now!!

                            Dawn and the ever-lovin' Jesse

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                            > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                            > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                            > warned
                            > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                            > and
                            > > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                            > >
                            > > Dawn
                          • colonelcorn76
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 22, 2003
                              <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                              > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due
                              > arthritis)
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on
                              Joint
                              > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My
                              friend
                              > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                              > warned
                              > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without

                              BJ's Wholesale Club (& Sam's Club) sell Glucosamine/MSM combos in
                              180 count bottles of 500mg tablets (500mg each of Glucosamine & MSM)
                              for 10 bucks. The one I got had a special with 240 count in the
                              bottle last time.

                              They also have Gluc/Chondroitin and Gluc/Chon/MSM but at about 3
                              times the price and Chondroitin oral supplements don't seem to have
                              the efficacy in testing as Gluc/MSM does.

                              Jim