Re: [Hammock Camping] Getting there

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
      Jeff... you are right, that pad is too wide for that. I generally
      use a 10x20 that I also use for padding in my backpack. I have used
      a 6x7 pad in the footpocket before to augment cold heels with a full
      length pad and that was workable. It is amazing what you can do
      with a couple of 6x7 pads in cold weather. They sometimes hit the
      spot when you lay on your side if your knee or tush is cold and they
      don't weight much of anything... they also work under your head if
      that gets cold because it extends off the top of your insulation. I
      recommend carrying a couple in cold weather. I keep them in the
      very top of my pack and if it is cold enough I may use them as a sit
      pad during the day or when I'm cooking dinner, obviously they also
      come in handy when everything you want to sit on is wet. (For a sit
      pad you can simply lay them side by side to have a 12x7 pad.)

      If you have cold spots and you don't have little pads, you can use
      whatever you have, like mittens shirts, etc. Sometimes it is easier
      to deal with them if you put them in a stuff sack. It will all work
      to various degrees, some of it is more flexible and easier to deal
      with than others. Just try to identify specifically where your
      problem is and what the problem is, once you have done that you have
      worked out about 2/3 of the solution.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      co-developer of the Speer SPE