newby needs advice

  • teblum@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 11, 2006
      Hi folks

      Tom in Florida here.

      I've been interested in Hammocks ever since I saw the Hennessey Bag site a fer years ago.

      I motorcycle camp several times a year. The cost of a professionally made hammock has kept me from trying out the concept until now.

      Recently, I found the Risk Test Hammock page (thanks Risk!!)and made one. In forest green 100% polyester, it came out beautiful.
      On the first test sleep, I couldn't get to sleep. Went over the guidelines and found I had strung it too tight.I also have retied the ends several times to raise the center and better allow 'sleeping flat'.

      Tried again and slept for about 4 hours. Then couldn't get back to sleep.

      My typical sleep pattern is to sleep soundly for about that length of time and then wake up stiff. I vary position for the rest of the night, sleeping one to two hours at a stretch.

      In the hammock, this tossing around doesn't go so well.

      How does one get on their stomach? I can't get there from here.

      Thanks for any pointers

      Tom
    • teblum
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
        I still need advise about how to sleep flat. I can't be the only one
        with problems???

        Come on guys, share some secrets.

        Please??

        Does nylon , as compared to polyester, make it easier?

        Tom
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
          You made a TestHammock, right?

          - How long and wide is the hammock?
          - How tall and wide are you?
          - Are you hanging it with enough sag?

          The material can make a difference, but it depends on how it stretches
          rather than what it's made from.

          Answer these and maybe we'll be able to offer some more help.

          Jeff
        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
            I'm also learning, I have only two nights in the hammock hanging, and one on
            the ground. I'm no expert but I think the silence tou are hearing is because
            there is no "right answer" for everyone. Just try different things and find
            what works for you. You won't ever sleep completely flat, but you can get
            really really comfortable.

            What to try? Tighter and looser suspension. Looser may allow more angle in
            your position. Tighter/looser tie-out lines (if you have a HH). Raise the
            foot a little higher than the head end. Not the attachment point, but the
            hammock itself. I say that because if you tie both ends at the same height,
            but the foot is closer to the support than the head, the head will sag more
            and be lower. This helps because your CG will find the lowest point, and if
            that lowest point is toward the foot end, your feet will be crammed into the
            narrow end.

            Place a small duffel with spare clothes behind your knees to keep them from
            being pressed down.

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
              From someone who grew up in Venezuela and has slept many nights in
              the woven type of hammocks: you need to lie diagonally - like half
              of an "X".... the more to the center (like a "T" on the hammock) you
              are, the flatter it will get.

              I cringe when I see people lying in line with the hammock..their
              bodies are like a "C." Must be hell on their backs.

              I like to use a pillow for even more comfort.

              sandy k
              miami

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

              > I still need advise about how to sleep flat. I can't be the only one
              > with problems???
              >
              > Come on guys, share some secrets.
              >
              > Please??
              >
              > Does nylon , as compared to polyester, make it easier?
              >
              > Tom

            • teblum
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                -Thanks Jeff.

                I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 165 pounds.

                My hammock is 9 1/2 yards long before knotting, and measures 93
                inches, knot to knot. The material was 58 inches wide, it seems to
                measure a few inches less than that now.. It is a test hammock and
                looks just like the picture on Risk's site.

                I read about sag and am hanging it with the support lines at 30
                degrees, prox. measured with a protractor and eyeballs.

                It seems like, no matter how I adjust the ends, I sink INTO the thing,
                with the outside edges very taut, (kind of like Risk in the picture on
                his site).

                If I can tell you anything else, let me know. I really WANT to hang.
                It simplifies a lot of packing details.

                Tom

                -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                > You made a TestHammock, right?
                >
                > - How long and wide is the hammock?
                > - How tall and wide are you?
                > - Are you hanging it with enough sag?
                >
                > The material can make a difference, but it depends on how it stretches
                > rather than what it's made from.
                >
                > Answer these and maybe we'll be able to offer some more help.
                >
                > Jeff

              • teblum
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                  Thanks Sandy,

                  That would mean chosing wider and longer hammocks? right? I've been
                  trying to get diagonal in my homemade, but it fights me since the
                  sides are very tight. Here's the site I got instructions from
                  http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

                  Thanks for the advice.

                  Tom

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
                  wrote:

                  > From someone who grew up in Venezuela and has slept many nights in
                  > the woven type of hammocks: you need to lie diagonally - like half
                  > of an "X".... the more to the center (like a "T" on the hammock) you
                  > are, the flatter it will get.
                  >
                  > I cringe when I see people lying in line with the hammock..their
                  > bodies are like a "C." Must be hell on their backs.
                  >
                  > I like to use a pillow for even more comfort.
                  >
                  > sandy k
                  > miami
                  >

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I still need advise about how to sleep flat. I can't be the only one
                  > > with problems???
                  > >
                  > > Come on guys, share some secrets.
                  > >
                  > > Please??
                  > >
                  > > Does nylon , as compared to polyester, make it easier?
                  > >
                  > > Tom

                • teblum
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                    Thanks, Carey.
                    I've tried these things.
                    I'm beginning to think the test hammock is the problem.
                    It is very hard to get diagonal in it.

                    I'm bidding on some ripstop nylon. If that fails, I may buy a Byer's
                    Traveler. They are available cheap enough for a test.

                    Tom
                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                      The problem I see with that test hammock is that the ends are
                      gathered but there is no stretch in them.

                      I have Byer's Mosquito Traveler and it says it's queen sized..also it
                      has strings which will allow you to spread. I believe Campmor has it
                      for about $40, but you can't beat this:

                      http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

                      However, I bought the Byer ropes from Campmor (approx $15) (did not
                      like the ones from C & C) and they have a super simple
                      rope/loop/toggle system for tying off - easy to adjust.

                      I bought luggage straps (cut off the buckles - but the buckles
                      themselves would probably cost more than $2) at the dollar store to
                      protect the tree trunk. Am thinking of trying a cut up bicycle inner
                      tube as someone else suggested.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Sandy,
                      >
                      > That would mean chosing wider and longer hammocks? right? I've been
                      > trying to get diagonal in my homemade, but it fights me since the
                      > sides are very tight. Here's the site I got instructions from
                      > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                      >
                      > Thanks for the advice.
                      >
                      > Tom
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > From someone who grew up in Venezuela and has slept many nights
                      in
                      > > the woven type of hammocks: you need to lie diagonally - like
                      half
                      > > of an "X".... the more to the center (like a "T" on the hammock)
                      you
                      > > are, the flatter it will get.
                      > >
                      > > I cringe when I see people lying in line with the hammock..their
                      > > bodies are like a "C." Must be hell on their backs.
                      > >
                      > > I like to use a pillow for even more comfort.
                      > >
                      > > sandy k
                      > > miami
                      > >

                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I still need advise about how to sleep flat. I can't be the
                      only one
                      > > > with problems???
                      > > >
                      > > > Come on guys, share some secrets.
                      > > >
                      > > > Please??
                      > > >
                      > > > Does nylon , as compared to polyester, make it easier?
                      > > >
                      > > > Tom

                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                        Here's the link for the ropes I bought:

                        http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
                        productId=30560175&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226
                        &langId=-1

                        <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                        > The problem I see with that test hammock is that the ends are
                        > gathered but there is no stretch in them.
                        >
                        > I have Byer's Mosquito Traveler and it says it's queen sized..also
                        it
                        > has strings which will allow you to spread. I believe Campmor has
                        it
                        > for about $40, but you can't beat this:
                        >
                        > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html
                        >
                        > However, I bought the Byer ropes from Campmor (approx $15) (did not
                        > like the ones from C & C) and they have a super simple
                        > rope/loop/toggle system for tying off - easy to adjust.
                        >
                        > I bought luggage straps (cut off the buckles - but the buckles
                        > themselves would probably cost more than $2) at the dollar store to
                        > protect the tree trunk. Am thinking of trying a cut up bicycle
                        inner
                        > tube as someone else suggested.
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Thanks Sandy,
                        > >
                        > > That would mean chosing wider and longer hammocks? right? I've
                        been
                        > > trying to get diagonal in my homemade, but it fights me since the
                        > > sides are very tight. Here's the site I got instructions from
                        > > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the advice.
                        > >
                        > > Tom
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                        <sandykayak@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > From someone who grew up in Venezuela and has slept many nights
                        > in
                        > > > the woven type of hammocks: you need to lie diagonally - like
                        > half
                        > > > of an "X".... the more to the center (like a "T" on the
                        hammock)
                        > you
                        > > > are, the flatter it will get.
                        > > >
                        > > > I cringe when I see people lying in line with the
                        hammock..their
                        > > > bodies are like a "C." Must be hell on their backs.
                        > > >
                        > > > I like to use a pillow for even more comfort.
                        > > >
                        > > > sandy k
                        > > > miami

                        > only one

                      • teblum
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                          Thanks a million, Kathy. I just ordered one.

                          NOTE
                          If anyone else orders, at the end of the order form, there is a code
                          for 10% off. Enter that and price is reduced to $17.95.
                          KRIPES!! I've got nearly that much in the test hammock.

                          wrote:

                          > The problem I see with that test hammock is that the ends are
                          > gathered but there is no stretch in them.
                          >
                          > I have Byer's Mosquito Traveler and it says it's queen sized..also it
                          > has strings which will allow you to spread. I believe Campmor has it
                          > for about $40, but you can't beat this:
                          >
                          > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html
                          >
                          > However, I bought the Byer ropes from Campmor (approx $15) (did not
                          > like the ones from C & C) and they have a super simple
                          > rope/loop/toggle system for tying off - easy to adjust.
                          >
                          > I bought luggage straps (cut off the buckles - but the buckles
                          > themselves would probably cost more than $2) at the dollar store to
                          > protect the tree trunk. Am thinking of trying a cut up bicycle inner
                          > tube as someone else suggested.
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Thanks Sandy,
                          > >
                          > > That would mean chosing wider and longer hammocks? right? I've been
                          > > trying to get diagonal in my homemade, but it fights me since the
                          > > sides are very tight. Here's the site I got instructions from
                          > > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the advice.
                          > >
                          > > Tom
                          > >
                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > From someone who grew up in Venezuela and has slept many nights
                          > in
                          > > > the woven type of hammocks: you need to lie diagonally - like
                          > half
                          > > > of an "X".... the more to the center (like a "T" on the hammock)
                          > you
                          > > > are, the flatter it will get.
                          > > >
                          > > > I cringe when I see people lying in line with the hammock..their
                          > > > bodies are like a "C." Must be hell on their backs.
                          > > >
                          > > > I like to use a pillow for even more comfort.
                          > > >
                          > > > sandy k
                          > > > miami

                          > only one

                        • Sandy Kramer
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                            err.. it's Sandy.

                            As you can see, this does not come with a tarp...scroll back to last
                            week. I ordered a 10 x 12 coated nylon (?) from HH, but it's quite
                            bulky and heavy..bet it does a super job in a downpour tho!

                            I guess silnylon is the way to go?????

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                              tom... i`m trying to remember if your the fellow that said he didn`t want to have to use a pad, but i use an exped DAM (partly inflated) & i hang my hammock much more horizonal (taught) than most.
                              i also have to slide only slightly to the diaginal & i`m extreamly close to flat.
                              i do like to use something as a pillow under my knees when i`m on my back & between my knees when on my side.
                              that`s what works for me. ...tim

                              teblum <teblum@...> wrote: Thanks, Carey.
                              I've tried these things.
                              I'm beginning to think the test hammock is the problem.
                              It is very hard to get diagonal in it.
                              .
                              Tom

                              .

                            • teblum
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006

                                > tom... i`m trying to remember if your the fellow that said he didn`t
                                want to have to use a pad,

                                Not me.

                                I have tried pads, a 20 " thermarest, a 20" ccf pad and a 24"ccf.
                                These helped a bit, but not enough.

                                I'm going in the direction of the homemade hammock being
                                "anti-diagonal". I just ordered a Mosquito Traveler. When that gets
                                here we'll try again and see what happens.

                                Thanks

                                Tom

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > The problem I see with that test hammock is that the ends are
                                    > gathered but there is no stretch in them.

                                    The TestHammock is basically made like a Speer hammock. No problem
                                    with the ends not being stretchy - there's plenty of room to get
                                    diagonal and flat if the fabric is long and wide enough.

                                    //

                                    Sounds like the hammock is long and wide enough. Maybe you pulled the
                                    ends out too much before you whipped the ends?

                                    Jeff
                                  • Ralph Oborn
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 16, 2006
                                      Try this experiment... if the sides are to tight.

                                      When you gather the ends before whipping. pull the middle out an inch or so
                                      so it will be tighter. then whip and suspend.
                                      The hammock will not be so "deep".

                                      Warning: I once went to far and the hammock was unstable.
                                      All initial hammock tests should be done at low altitude, over soft
                                      material, without spouses watching. :]

                                      Ralph Oborn

                                    • teblum
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                        Jeff,

                                        I have pulled the ends in every way I can think of. I got a little
                                        improvement by pulling the center about 2 inches. Maybe the edge of
                                        the material doesn't stretch as much as the rest of it??

                                        I'm going to wait for the purchased hammock to arrive and then see
                                        what happens.

                                        If I still can't get diagonal I'll send pictures and ask forb more advice.

                                        Thanks for trying.

                                        Tom

                                      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006

                                          > Warning: I once went to far and the hammock was unstable.
                                          > All initial hammock tests should be done at low altitude, over soft
                                          > material, without spouses watching. :]

                                          ...or neighbors...

                                          Brian
                                          T-BACK
                                        • teblum
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                            Ralph,
                                            I did that, pulling the center 12 inches out and I could feel a
                                            difference. I'll try it again but this time I'll pull all but the
                                            outside foot back two inches.

                                            LOL at your test description. I feel that way everytime I get in. I
                                            had the whipping pull out once, but I was only about 2 inches off the
                                            ground.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Tom

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                              "measures 93 inches, knot to knot"

                                              That sounds like a short hammock. Is that measured along the edge
                                              of the hammock and did you pull the fabric along the edges of the
                                              hammock before forming the hammock knot? If the hammock is
                                              too short for you... then it is just too short and you can't put
                                              enough sag into when you hang it to fit in it and lay diagonal. In
                                              a way, sag basically reduces the usable length of a hammock but it
                                              increases the comfort by reducing shoulder squeeze and allows you to
                                              lay on a diagonal. When hammockers say they lay flat when they lay
                                              on a diagonal, they are taking some liberities with the truth as you
                                              don't really lay flat, you lay flatter or less curved. It is
                                              comfortable to most people like that but not everybody.

                                              Dave Womble
                                              aka Youngblood 2000
                                              co-developer of the Speer SPE

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

                                              > -Thanks Jeff.
                                              >
                                              > I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 165 pounds.
                                              >
                                              > My hammock is 9 1/2 yards long before knotting, and measures 93
                                              > inches, knot to knot. The material was 58 inches wide, it seems to
                                              > measure a few inches less than that now.. It is a test hammock and
                                              > looks just like the picture on Risk's site.
                                              >
                                              > I read about sag and am hanging it with the support lines at 30
                                              > degrees, prox. measured with a protractor and eyeballs.
                                              >
                                              > It seems like, no matter how I adjust the ends, I sink INTO the
                                              thing,
                                              > with the outside edges very taut, (kind of like Risk in the
                                              picture on
                                              > his site).
                                              >
                                              > If I can tell you anything else, let me know. I really WANT to
                                              hang.
                                              > It simplifies a lot of packing details.
                                              >
                                              > Tom
                                              >

                                              > -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > You made a TestHammock, right?
                                              > >
                                              > > - How long and wide is the hammock?
                                              > > - How tall and wide are you?
                                              > > - Are you hanging it with enough sag?
                                              > >
                                              > > The material can make a difference, but it depends on how it
                                              stretches
                                              > > rather than what it's made from.
                                              > >
                                              > > Answer these and maybe we'll be able to offer some more help.
                                              > >
                                              > > Jeff

                                            • teblum
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                                Dave,
                                                You may be right. The term "shoulder squeeze" certainly describes
                                                most of my problem. Half the trouble with being a newby is you don't
                                                even know the probable problems.

                                                When I lie in the hammock there is about 18 inches remaining at both
                                                ends. The 93 inches was with the hammock lying on the ground and
                                                stretched out till the opposite end dragged.

                                                If the store bought unit (mosquito traveler) doesn't result in
                                                improved comfort, I will try a extra yard of material and see what
                                                happens.

                                                Thanks again
                                                Tom
                                              • Jeff
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > but you can't beat this:
                                                  > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

                                                  Hey - thanks for posting this. I just got 3...prolly keep one and
                                                  give the other two for Xmas.

                                                  Jeff
                                                • Ralph Oborn
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                                    Most of my test hammocks use 4 yards (12 feet) of material. Then I lose a
                                                    little for the sheet bends etc.

                                                    Ralph

                                                    On 10/17/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:

                                                    > Dave,
                                                    > You may be right. The term "shoulder squeeze" certainly describes
                                                    > most of my problem. Half the trouble with being a newby is you don't
                                                    > even know the probable problems.
                                                    >
                                                    > When I lie in the hammock there is about 18 inches remaining at both
                                                    > ends. The 93 inches was with the hammock lying on the ground and
                                                    > stretched out till the opposite end dragged.
                                                    >
                                                    > If the store bought unit (mosquito traveler) doesn't result in
                                                    > improved comfort, I will try a extra yard of material and see what
                                                    > happens.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks again
                                                    > Tom

                                                  • RevT
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 17, 2006
                                                      Tom,

                                                      I made and still use one of the test hammocks. I love it. Initially it
                                                      was very deep and I had lots of shoulder squeeze. I used 4 yards of
                                                      material and when I whipped it I did like was mentioned and made the
                                                      middle section just a bit linger, like an inch or two, than the sides.
                                                      I've also found that unless you really tie it off or sew it, the ends
                                                      will slip, especially in the middle. I wound up having to sew mine
                                                      together at the ends...twice cause the first one ripped...

                                                      Brian

                                                      > Most of my test hammocks use 4 yards (12 feet) of material. Then I lose a
                                                      > little for the sheet bends etc.
                                                      >
                                                      > Ralph

                                                    • Jeff
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                                        > wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > but you can't beat this:
                                                        > > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

                                                        Has anyone received the $20 Moskito Traveler hammock yet?

                                                        I bought the 3 Moskito Travelers for $20, but now the $20 is the
                                                        Traveler (w/o bug net) and the Moskito Traveler is $36. I rechecked
                                                        my order and it confirms that I got the Moskito Traveler for
                                                        $20...hoping that's really the one that shows up.

                                                        Jeff
                                                      • Tom Blum
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                          A friend in California ordered and recieved it. It was the Mosquito
                                                          Traveler. Mine was shipped the same day and is due in next Tuesday. I'll
                                                          let you know if something goes wrong (or right!!!)

                                                          These places often raise prices when a sale price causes a run on
                                                          remaining stock.

                                                          Tom

                                                          Jeff wrote:

                                                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                                          > <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                                          > > wrote:
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > but you can't beat this:
                                                          > > > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html
                                                          > <http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html>
                                                          >
                                                          > Has anyone received the $20 Moskito Traveler hammock yet?
                                                          >
                                                          > I bought the 3 Moskito Travelers for $20, but now the $20 is the
                                                          > Traveler (w/o bug net) and the Moskito Traveler is $36. I rechecked
                                                          > my order and it confirms that I got the Moskito Traveler for
                                                          > $20...hoping that's really the one that shows up.
                                                          >
                                                          > Jeff

                                                        • Sandy Kramer
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                            wow. they've had them for $20 for at least a year.

                                                            please note that Byer's have at least two types of ropes. I don't like
                                                            the type from C&C - I ordered the (I think they are called) Byer's
                                                            micro ropes from Campmor for about $15-16. these have the aluminum
                                                            toggle. s

                                                            sandy in miami