Re: [Hammock Camping] What pad to use in tropics?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      The tube 'sarong' is called a Lungi (pronounced lung-gee) in Bangladesh.
      It is what the men wear.

      Any lightweight cotton will do. I particularly like Madras Plaid (right
      weight, but can be hard to find). You want the bolt to be about 41
      inches wide. Then cut 1.5-2 yards depending on the size of your tummy.
      Sew the loose ends together to form a tube. No need to hem because of
      the finished edges. Step through, gather the cloth into two rabbits
      ears, twist, tuck, and you're ready to go.

      I have worn lungis daily since I was 10 or 12--especially for sleeping.
      They work great on bikes, climbing trees, swimming, etc. They can
      make a great addition to backpacking gear: portable changing room,
      towel, stuffsac, etc.

      With hard wear, they can last 4 or 5 years.
      Like t-shirts, the older the more comfortable.

      CL

      hiker & ecologist
      Taiwan