Candle heat

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
      An intriguing idea Black Wolf! I woke up early this am in my hammock
      thinking about your “Hammock Radiator”. I guess I’m not mechanically
      inclined enough to fully understand the setup, but wouldn’t there be some
      operational issues?

      1) A long burning candle flame would drop & no longer be in contact
      with the boiler tube as the candle slowly burns down—the spring loaded
      candles in the Candle Lantern are notorious for getting clogged with melted
      wax & malfunctioning. An oil lantern with a wick could solve this
      problem—it might also have a fuel tank large enough to hold enough oil for
      all night

      2) A copper tube boiler sounds feasible, but how would you then connect
      that to soft tubing?

      3) How much heat can be transferred this way to the hammock? Not
      enough or too much?

      4) Would there be any need to regulate the heat? How?

      5) What size tubing is appropriate? ½” ID?

      6) The radiator would be filled for each use, then drained for
      transport & storage; right? What kind of reusable connectors are suitable?

      7) Would filling the radiator with water be a problem? How can you
      remove all the air?

      8) Would an air-bleed valve be required in the line?

      9) What kind of reservoir is needed? How does it function? How can it
      be made?

      10) The heater tubing in the hammock could be heat-suitable soft tubing;
      right?

      11) A fabric pad that holds the soft tube ‘heater’ in place can be
      constructed for the hammock. It could be placed inside the PeaPod or bottom
      blanket so it lies beneath the hammock fabric itself yet still has a layer
      of insulation protecting it from the outside air. It must be flexible so it
      will conform to the occupied hammock. A size of 24”w x 36”l with ‘heater’
      tubes spaced every 4” might be suitable

      12) Total soft tubing for this setup would be about 20’ for the in-hammock
      pad + two 5’ connector tubes to the boiler = a total 30’ of soft tubing.
      How much would this weigh & how much water would it take to fill it?

      BW, are you working on such a project, or just making suggestions? Sorry
      for all the questions, but I’m always intrigued by out-of-the box thinking
      like this. In any event, thanks for the ideas….Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____