Re: Hammock Camping Moisture control in the hammock

  • amy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2003
      On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:49 PM, Ed Speer wrote:

      > An interesting idea Amy!  I've also noticed the accumulated water when
      > using a z-rest pad. Not sure if drain holes would work or not, but
      > would be interested to find out.  It would probably take fairly large
      > holes, and as you mentioned, this might ruin the pad's warmth. How
      > would you make the holes?  Burn them in with a hot ice pick or screw
      > driver?  I suspect holes large enough to drain liquid water would have
      > to be 1/16-1/8" diameter and this would defeat the purpose of the
      > traped air space in each dimple.  Instead could you keep the holes
      > very tight by piercing each dimple with a hot paperclip and then place
      > a short piece of wicking yarn thru each one?  However, this may be too
      > much work and the yarn may not stay in place; the wet yarn may also
      > transmit heat away--just thinking out loud...Ed

      I'll have to do some testing, obviously. Good idea with the yarn. I
      have no idea
      if wet yarn would pump heat out or not. I can think of arguments for
      and
      against.

      -amy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2003
        Hi Amy,

        Another approach is the double bottomed hammock some of us are
        experimenting with. With a layer of cloth against the skin, the
        sweat is absorbed by the cloth and has more of a chance to evaporate.

        Rick