Re: Hammock Camping AT Section Hike

  • amy
    Message 1 of 25 , May 28, 2003
      On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:31 PM, Ed Speer wrote:

      > Tony, I take 1,000mg glucosamine twice a day every day.   General
      > advice is to take 3,000mg/d for first month, then drop back to a
      > smaller maintance dosage.  On a long trail, i'll take up to 6,000mg/d,
      > starting a month before the hike. It's not like a pain killer that
      > takes effect immediately--instead, it works very slowly to
      > rehydrate joint cartledge.  Most folks won't notice any improvement
      > for weeks or months after starting to take it--some folks stop taking
      > it because they don't see quick improvement--it's very subtle over a
      > long time. It is also non toxic, so you can't overdose. Since
      > rehydration is involved, be sure to drink lots of water every day of
      > your life--tea, soda, coffee, etc don't count as water. How much
      > water?  A gallon/d at home is not too much; of course, more when on
      > the trail.  Yes this is a LOT of water! I no longer drink anything but
      > water--my knees thank me every day! By the way, lower back pain is
      > also commonly due to dehydration--mine has gone away since I started
      > drinking lots of water and taking glucosamine!
      >
      > I use Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart--just glucosamine, not
      > chrondrotin. I've read in a medical book that chrondrotin works
      > wonders if taken by injection, but is not adsorbed into the body when
      > taken orally. The commonly combined glucosamine-chrondrotin
      > supplements that are heavily advertised are way too expensive for me,
      > so I take only glucosamine.  Happy hiking...Ed

      I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in combination
      with
      other substances. Both my old horses are on a supplement which contains
      glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c. I ran out and used a
      glucosamine
      only supplement for a while. The combo definitely worked better, in
      that
      while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy within
      two weeks.

      Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology, of
      course.

      -amy
      Message 2 of 25 , May 28, 2003
        Message
        Amy, that MSM is probably better than either glucosamine or chrondroitin for joints--I'd be taking it except it's very, very expensive...Ed

        Message 3 of 25 , May 29, 2003
          Funny you mention this. I just read that "other stuff" is required
          to help absorb Glucosamine sulfate. Of course, in was on a "vendors"
          site, so I took it with a grain of salt.

          See Item #7 on this
          http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/arthritis-tips/
          page.

          The only item I see that you mentioned that I have concerns about is
          chondroitin. Most of what I read, and what my pharmacists told me,
          states that this stuff just isn't absorbed well, if at all, via oral
          meds. I think Ed mentioned this as well.

          --- amy <askowronek@...> wrote:
          > I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in
          > combination
          > with
          > other substances. Both my old horses are on a supplement which
          > contains
          > glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c. I ran out and used a
          >
          > glucosamine
          > only supplement for a while. The combo definitely worked better,
          > in
          > that
          > while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy
          > within
          > two weeks.
          >
          > Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology,
          > of
          > course.
          >
          > -amy

          =====
          Tony

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • colonelcorn76
          Message 4 of 25 , May 29, 2003
            > Amy, that MSM is probably better than either glucosamine or
            chrondroitin
            > for joints--I'd be taking it except it's very, very expensive...Ed

            I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
            combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
            take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
            them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
            tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
            price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
            glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.
            Message 5 of 25 , May 29, 2003
              Message
              Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll check that out...Ed

              Message 6 of 25 , May 29, 2003
                On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 11:35 AM, colonelcorn76 wrote:

                > I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
                > combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
                > take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
                > them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
                > tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
                > price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
                > glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.

                You don't even want to know how much it costs to dose two eleven hundred
                pound animals with the stuff daily. :)

                -amy
                Message 7 of 25 , May 30, 2003
                  Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff. My knee is doing better
                  with rest and occasional vit I. I did a bit of an internet search on
                  the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                  As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                  of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                  Article I studied is here:

                  http://tinyurl.com/415d

                  Rick,
                  The country doctor,
                  Hammock hanger,
                  sewing maniac,
                  limping AT hiker
                  > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                  > check that out...Ed

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=17
                  05
                  > 065843:HM/A=1595053/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?
                  YH=3

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 30, 2003
                    Message
                    Rick, I noticed improvement in my knees after only two weeks--some people don't notice anything for 4 weeks or so. In any event, I'm confident you will feel better if you stick with it....Ed

                    Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
                    with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
                    the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                    As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                    of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                    Article I studied is here:

                    http://tinyurl.com/415d

                    Rick,
                    The country doctor,
                    Hammock hanger,
                    sewing maniac,
                    limping AT hiker
                    > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                    > check that out...Ed

                  • robi dawson
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 30, 2003
                      With all this talk of glucosamine of late i was wondering what the side'negative effects of it can be? Is there any known long term minuses for taking so much?

                      rob

                      b96a6.jpg
                      b9725.jpg

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 31, 2003
                        Message
                        No, Robi, there are no serious known side effects.  The link Rick gave below mentiones some minor ones--but the medical book I have gives none...Ed

                        Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
                        with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
                        the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                        As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                        of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                        Article I studied is here:

                        http://tinyurl.com/415d

                        Rick,
                        The country doctor,
                        Hammock hanger,
                        sewing maniac,
                        limping AT hiker
                        > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                        > check that out...Ed

                      • dawnhark
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 19, 2003
                          Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                          Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                          says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also warned
                          me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it and
                          it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com

                          Dawn
                        • alidisaster
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                            Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                            arthritis)
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                            > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                            > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                            warned
                            > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                            and
                            > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                            >
                            > Dawn
                          • Risk
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                              Dawn,

                              Vit I: TrailName for ibuprophen aka Motrin aka Advil; I take 400 mg
                              when anything/everything is sore, usually just in the morning when
                              hiking, but can be used 4 times a day. After a couple days on the
                              trail, I usually don't need it anymore.

                              Oh, and for Ed who was looking for an inexpensive source of
                              Glucosamine: Sams Club (next to Walmart most places) has plain
                              Glucosamine 1000 mg; 240 tabs for $9.50 At $.04 per tab and Ed's
                              recommended daily dose of 2000 mg (2 gm) it ends up costing $2.40 a
                              month.

                              That is the best price I have found in the last month of looking.

                              Rick

                              wrote:

                              > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                              > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                              > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                              warned
                              > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                              and
                              > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                              >
                              > Dawn
                            • dawnhark
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 21, 2003
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                                <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                                > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                                > arthritis)

                                I'm sure there is, but LOL I can only afford it for my dog right now!!

                                Dawn and the ever-lovin' Jesse

                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                                > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                                > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                                > warned
                                > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                                > and
                                > > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                                > >
                                > > Dawn
                              • colonelcorn76
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 22, 2003
                                  <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                                  > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due
                                  > arthritis)
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on
                                  Joint
                                  > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My
                                  friend
                                  > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                                  > warned
                                  > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without

                                  BJ's Wholesale Club (& Sam's Club) sell Glucosamine/MSM combos in
                                  180 count bottles of 500mg tablets (500mg each of Glucosamine & MSM)
                                  for 10 bucks. The one I got had a special with 240 count in the
                                  bottle last time.

                                  They also have Gluc/Chondroitin and Gluc/Chon/MSM but at about 3
                                  times the price and Chondroitin oral supplements don't seem to have
                                  the efficacy in testing as Gluc/MSM does.

                                  Jim