Re: [Hammock Camping] candle heat

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
      brian... when i was making the insulated winter hammock, i used pads, pillows, & even a foot stool to spread & weight the hammock.
      but you better think about what your going to say to the wife if something goes wrong <g> ...tim

      opnheartscrub@... wrote: Tim,

      I did a small burn test on some silnylon. It did not burn any better
      than the uncoated nylon I tested which surprised me. I believe that
      hot air balloons are made from silnylon. The burners that fire into
      them are incredibly hot and only inches away at the base. I think
      that if the candle was supended in a can the worst that could happen
      from sudden movement is that the flame would be extinguished if it
      were splashed with molten wax. I also have a hard time believing that
      a candle can produce enough CO2 to be dangerous under a tarp. Maybe
      someone has a detector that can prove me wrong. In order to do a mock-
      up I'll have to figure a way to simulate a body in the hammock. Any
      ideas?

      Brian
      T-BACK.
      .

      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
        Thaks the ol' trick I've read about only using a space blanket instead
        of a bag. I've never known anyone who had actually tried it before.
        Thanks, that's good news about the CO2 level.

        Brian
        T-BACK

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
          Brian, why not just use the wife (if married) for this test...

          Coy Boy

        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
            Maybe I should start thinking of a cover story now. My wife's dad was
            a vol. firefighter when she was growing up and she went on many calls
            with him. She watched many people loose their homes and some their
            lives. She is very nervious about fire so I don't think that I could
            come up with an excuse that was good enough to explain away the reason
            I had a small fire lit under my hammock. :'). I guess I shouldn't use
            HER pillow for the test.

            Brian
            T-BACK

            > brian... when i was making the insulated winter hammock, i used
            > pads, pillows, & even a foot stool to spread & weight the hammock.
            >
            > but you better think about what your going to say to the wife
            > if something goes wrong <g> ...tim

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
              an excuse that was good enough to explain away the reason
              I had a small fire lit under my hammock. :'). I guess I shouldn't use
              HER pillow for the test.

              Brian
              T-BACK

              Wow, flashback image to old Tarzan movies and human bar-b-que. Hmmmm.

              Ralph Oborn

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006

                > Wow, flashback image to old Tarzan movies and human bar-b-que.
                Hmmmm.

                I can see the jokes now. I guess Ed should change his shirt
                from "bear pinata" to "bear bbq at table height"...

                Jeff
              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Somehow Coy, I think even if I wasn't the one in the hammock, I'd
                  still be the one who gets burned in the end. If you know what I mean.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK

                  > Brian, why not just use the wife (if married) for this test...
                  >
                  > Coy Boy
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:

                    > Somehow Coy, I think even if I wasn't the one in the hammock, I'd
                    > still be the one who gets burned in the end. If you know what I
                    mean.

                    Well you don't put the candle on your butt, silly...
                  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                      No but that's what my wife would probably do with it...

                      Brian
                      T-BACK

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                        Candle heat -- is this an oxymoron?

                        To my way of thinking, if the candle is burning properly and you're
                        not suffering from CO poisoning or diminished oxygen then fresh (cold)
                        air is being drawn in to replenish/replace that which was consumed.
                        IF the candle is burning and you're not getting sick then fresh air is
                        drawn into the tent, hammock, or whatever shelter you're dealing with
                        and nothing (i.e., the enclosed air) is being heated by the candle.

                        Whatcha' think?

                        john
                      • Brian Neeley
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                          Hello all

                          I'm suprised that no one has (yet) mentioned that CO2 and CO and both denser than air.

                          In a tent (where you would be sleeping at the bottom of your "air column") this is a problem, especially since you have walls and a floor that are sewn up together. In a hammock, you sleep toward the top of the "air column" (where the carbon oxides *won't* be, unless they manage to build up; and in that case, they would put out the candle anyway). Also, a hammock uses a tarp, so there is plenty of ventilation for the gases.

                          Now, the only real problem is not burning up your hammock.

                          Just my $.02 .

                          Brian Neeley

                          ...I also have a hard time believing that

                          a candle can produce enough CO2 to be dangerous under a tarp. Maybe

                          someone has a detector that can prove me wrong. In order to do a mock-

                          up I'll have to figure a way to simulate a body in the hammock.

                          <!--

                          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                          #ygrp-text{
                          font-family:Georgia;
                          }
                          #ygrp-text p{
                          margin:0 0 1em 0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                          font-family:Arial;
                          clear:both;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vitnav{
                          padding-top:10px;
                          font-family:Verdana;
                          font-size:77%;
                          margin:0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vitnav a{
                          padding:0 1px;
                          }
                          #ygrp-actbar{
                          clear:both;
                          margin:25px 0;
                          white-space:nowrap;
                          color:#666;
                          text-align:right;
                          }
                          #ygrp-actbar .left{
                          float:left;
                          white-space:nowrap;
                          }
                          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                          #ygrp-grft{
                          font-family:Verdana;
                          font-size:77%;
                          padding:15px 0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-ft{
                          font-family:verdana;
                          font-size:77%;
                          border-top:1px solid #666;
                          padding:5px 0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                          padding-bottom:10px;
                          }

                          #ygrp-vital{
                          background-color:#e0ecee;
                          margin-bottom:20px;
                          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                          font-size:77%;
                          font-family:Verdana;
                          font-weight:bold;
                          color:#333;
                          text-transform:uppercase;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vital ul{
                          padding:0;
                          margin:2px 0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vital ul li{
                          list-style-type:none;
                          clear:both;
                          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                          font-weight:bold;
                          color:#ff7900;
                          float:right;
                          width:2em;
                          text-align:right;
                          padding-right:.5em;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                          font-weight:bold;
                          }
                          #ygrp-vital a {
                          text-decoration:none;
                          }

                          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                          text-decoration:underline;
                          }

                          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                          color:#999;
                          font-size:77%;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                          padding:6px 13px;
                          background-color:#e0ecee;
                          margin-bottom:20px;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                          padding:0 0 0 8px;
                          margin:0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                          list-style-type:square;
                          padding:6px 0;
                          font-size:77%;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                          text-decoration:none;
                          font-size:130%;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                          background-color:#eee;
                          margin-bottom:20px;
                          padding:0 8px;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                          padding:8px 0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                          font-family:Arial;
                          font-weight:bold;
                          color:#628c2a;
                          font-size:100%;
                          line-height:122%;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                          text-decoration:none;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                          text-decoration:underline;
                          }
                          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                          margin:0;
                          }
                          o {font-size:0;}
                          .MsoNormal {
                          margin:0 0 0 0;
                          }
                          #ygrp-text tt{
                          font-size:120%;
                          }
                          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                          .replbq {margin:4;}
                          -->

                        • Black Wolfe
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                            Side stepping the candle next to your tarp issues and giving a new approach.

                            This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.

                            1) Build a very small boiler, really nothing more is needed than a copper
                            tubing coil over the candle.

                            2) A coil of tubing inside your sleeping system. Perhaps built into your
                            pad.

                            3) Connecting tubing and perhaps a reservoir.

                            4) Setup; The "boiler" must be at the low point, the "heater", near the
                            top, with the reservoir at the top. There must be no air bubbles in the
                            loop. Convection will carry the heated water up through the system, The
                            cooled water will sink to be rewarmed in the boiler.

                            Down side? Weight! I expect that we could not make a working system under
                            1.5 pounds. If the tubing is to small friction will lock it so the heated
                            water won't flow fast enough to be usable. And if you boil the water it
                            might create a air bubble that will lock the system too.

                            Black Wolfe
                            Bruce W. Calkins

                            > Now, the only real problem is not burning up your hammock.
                          • jimdb00
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                              HI new here. WHy not just end your pain and do like the rest of us up
                              north. wear a wool cap at nite and put a hand warmer in your sack to
                              keep you warm. If its really bad use two.
                              jim
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                interresting. ...tim

                                Black Wolfe <blackwolfe@...> wrote: Side stepping the candle next to your tarp issues and giving a new approach.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Black Wolfe" <blackwolfe@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.

                                  Couldn't you use plastic tubing? Just have copper for the boiler and
                                  6" on either side, then connect it to the plastic. The water should
                                  keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no? That would save
                                  some weight and make it flexible enough to fun the tubing inside the
                                  hammock as it moves around.

                                  Jeff
                                • Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006

                                    > The water should
                                    > keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no?

                                    I guess since it's a closed system, the water could be superheated
                                    before it boiled. If the tea candle could actually get the water hot
                                    enough, it might damage the plastic. Wonder how hot a single burn
                                    would get the water, or how many candles you could use before it did
                                    get too hot.

                                    I like the idea, though I'd still be hesitant to hike out depending on
                                    that system w/o enough traditional insulation to survive.

                                    Jeff
                                  • Ralph Oborn
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                      On 10/7/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Black Wolfe" <blackwolfe@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.
                                      >
                                      > Couldn't you use plastic tubing? Just have copper for the boiler and
                                      > 6" on either side, then connect it to the plastic. The water should
                                      > keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no? That would save
                                      > some weight and make it flexible enough to fun the tubing inside the
                                      > hammock as it moves around.
                                      >
                                      > Jeff

                                      OK folks, who said we would let engineers post here? :]

                                      Run the tubing over to a campfire (if you have one). The plastic (tygone (R)
                                      ) would also act as an expansion bladder.

                                      Ralph Oborn

                                    • Black Wolfe
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                        LOL, because the engineering type is not satisfied until the project is
                                        completely overengineered. ;)

                                        Black Wolfe
                                        Bruce W. Calkins

                                        > HI new here. WHy not just end your pain and do like the rest of us up
                                        > north. wear a wool cap at nite and put a hand warmer in your sack to
                                        > keep you warm. If its really bad use two.
                                        > jim
                                      • Ralph Oborn
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                          On 10/7/06, Black Wolfe <blackwolfe@...> wrote:

                                          > LOL, because the engineering type is not satisfied until the project is
                                          > completely overengineered. ;)
                                          >
                                          > Black Wolfe
                                          > Bruce W. Calkins

                                          I guess in the spirit of full disclosure I should have noted my degrees in
                                          Physics and Engineering :]

                                          Ralph Oborn

                                        • Keith
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                            Hmm....I'm away a day or two and when I come back, we're building
                                            hammock stills? Woohoo! Should make for an interesting New Year's
                                            campout! :)

                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Black Wolfe" <blackwolfe@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.
                                            >
                                            > Couldn't you use plastic tubing? Just have copper for the boiler and
                                            > 6" on either side, then connect it to the plastic. The water should
                                            > keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no? That would save
                                            > some weight and make it flexible enough to fun the tubing inside the
                                            > hammock as it moves around.
                                            >
                                            > Jeff

                                          • Black Wolfe
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                              > LOL, because the engineering type is not satisfied until the project is
                                              > completely overengineered. ;)
                                              >
                                              > Black Wolfe
                                              > Bruce W. Calkins

                                              I guess in the spirit of full disclosure I should have noted my degrees in
                                              Physics and Engineering :]

                                              Ralph Oborn

                                              While I am but a lowly Electrical Engineering student. With many years in the school of hard knocks. ;) Oh, did you say full disclosure? Well that ain't goin'a happen.

                                              Black Wolfe
                                              Bruce W. Calkins

                                            • Jeff
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > ...we're building hammock stills...

                                                AWESOME - a multi-use hammock heater! The man's a genius, I don't
                                                care if he IS an engineer...or a physicist.

                                                Jeff
                                              • Keith
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                  Lol...

                                                  That reminds me - I heard a joke the other day that some of you might
                                                  appreciate.

                                                  A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are sharing a hotel room
                                                  to save money while attending a conference. Sometime in the middle of
                                                  the night, all three of their beds catch fire.

                                                  The engineer is the first to react. He runs out of the room, returns
                                                  a moment later with the end of a garden hose, and douses his bed. The
                                                  fire is out, but now he has to sleep in a wet bed.

                                                  The physicist observes the engineer's technique, but decides to go a
                                                  different route. He scribbles on a pad of paper for a moment, then
                                                  gets a precise amount of water from the bathroom and dumps it on his
                                                  bed. The fire is put out and there is no water left over, so his bed
                                                  is now nice and dry.

                                                  The mathematician has been calmly watching the other two the entire
                                                  time. After noting the successes and failures of the previous
                                                  approaches, he turns to the other two and states simply, "A solution
                                                  exists."

                                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > ...we're building hammock stills...
                                                  >
                                                  > AWESOME - a multi-use hammock heater! The man's a genius, I don't
                                                  > care if he IS an engineer...or a physicist.
                                                  >
                                                  > Jeff

                                                • chcoa
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 8, 2006
                                                    See what happens when you sleep in a bed!!! hahaha

                                                    jamie