Re: Tarp Tent

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 5, 2006
      Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
      >This parallels my experience. I still have the third, and most recent,
      >Cand-oil (tm) oil lamp I bought in 1992. It has not however, been used in
      >more than half a decade.
      >
      >>Keith Wrote:
      >>A while ago before converting from tents to tarps - LONG before my
      >>hammock conversion - I used a candle lantern in my tent during the
      >>winter. It did provide some extra warmth in my double-wall tent, and
      >>it kept the condensation down.

      Same here. It works really well in a tent. My hammock setup is a
      little more enclosed than most, I think, but there is still room for
      a lot of cold air to move through. compared to a tent, unless I
      completely close the top. An oil lamp hanging from the ridgeline (my
      hammock has a ridgeline) inside adds warmth and does seem to reduce
      condensation a little, but not as much as in a tent (again, unless I
      completely close it up).

      My oil lamp is a Northern Lights Ultralight oil lantern. AFAIK, it
      hasn't been made in years. Too bad, as it's a nice little lamp.
      Weighs 192 g full and burns 17 hours on a fill. For the curious,
      there's a picture of one at this website:
      <http://www.lazily.net/camp/stove/candle.html> An interesting place
      to browse ... too bad I can't read Japanese well enough to get the
      descriptions.

      Northern Lights also made the Candoil, but I haven't seen any of
      those on the market recently, either. I saw a notice at
      <http://www.modernoutpost.com/> saying that "Northern Lights candle
      lanterns are no longer available from the manufacturer." Maybe they
      went out of business.

      About a year and a half ago, I posted my design for a water-jacketed
      oil lamp in the MakeGear group. It uses disposable oil candle
      cartridges from a restaurant supply store. The water jacket was
      necessary because the heat of the flame melted the plastic sides
      without it. Of course, that reduces the amount of heat to warm you.

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph