RE: Hammock Camping Moisture control in the hammock

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2003
      Message
      An interesting idea Amy!  I've also noticed the accumulated water when using a z-rest pad. Not sure if drain holes would work or not, but would be interested to find out.  It would probably take fairly large holes, and as you mentioned, this might ruin the pad's warmth. How would you make the holes?  Burn them in with a hot ice pick or screw driver?  I suspect holes large enough to drain liquid water would have to be 1/16-1/8" diameter and this would defeat the purpose of the traped air space in each dimple.  Instead could you keep the holes very tight by piercing each dimple with a hot paperclip and then place a short piece of wicking yarn thru each one?  However, this may be too much work and the yarn may not stay in place; the wet yarn may also transmit heat away--just thinking out loud...Ed

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2003
        On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:49 PM, Ed Speer wrote:

        > An interesting idea Amy!  I've also noticed the accumulated water when
        > using a z-rest pad. Not sure if drain holes would work or not, but
        > would be interested to find out.  It would probably take fairly large
        > holes, and as you mentioned, this might ruin the pad's warmth. How
        > would you make the holes?  Burn them in with a hot ice pick or screw
        > driver?  I suspect holes large enough to drain liquid water would have
        > to be 1/16-1/8" diameter and this would defeat the purpose of the
        > traped air space in each dimple.  Instead could you keep the holes
        > very tight by piercing each dimple with a hot paperclip and then place
        > a short piece of wicking yarn thru each one?  However, this may be too
        > much work and the yarn may not stay in place; the wet yarn may also
        > transmit heat away--just thinking out loud...Ed

        I'll have to do some testing, obviously. Good idea with the yarn. I
        have no idea
        if wet yarn would pump heat out or not. I can think of arguments for
        and
        against.

        -amy
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2003
          Hi Amy,

          Another approach is the double bottomed hammock some of us are
          experimenting with. With a layer of cloth against the skin, the
          sweat is absorbed by the cloth and has more of a chance to evaporate.

          Rick