candle heat

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 5, 2006
      i`m thinking of a couple differant dirrections this could go.
      1) a hammock that`s not got much swing to it.
      mabey it would hang from the trees by two straps on each end...
      instead of the straps attaching to a single point on the hammock end,
      they mite attach about a foot apart, then each strap would go around
      oppisite sides of the tree. there would be less swing that way.
      then the candle lantern in it`s little house...mabey made of
      flashing, which is also your stove`s wind shield, would sit on the
      ground. small tabs on the bottom of the wind shield would alow you to
      use rocks, etc, to weight it down.
      attached to the bottom of the outter hammock shell would be a tube
      made of fabric that is both fire proof/retardant & flexible, this
      would alow for some movement. the tube would be only slightly larger
      than the wind sheid that the candle lantern sits in, so it slides down
      over the wind shield. some air would need to be avalble to alow the
      chimney effect.
      2) another option would be to have the candle hanging from the bottom
      of the hammock`s outter shell, probably by the same type fire
      proof/retardent fabric. again, i belive the bottom of this fabric
      tube would need to be given it`s round shape by the wind shield & air
      intake holes would be needed.

      with either method, the fire proof/retardant fabric tube would be
      needed to give a certian amount of distance between the candle lantern
      & the bottom of the actual hammock. the distance would be determined
      with testing, BUT i belive another layer would be needed to father
      seperrate the top of the candle & the bottom of the hammock. this mite
      be another length of the fire proof/retardant fabric. this could
      greatly spread the intence heat coming off the candle lantern, mixing
      it with surrounding air inside the shell. (mabey some of jd`s stuff?)

      also with either method, the sides of the outter shell would be
      attached to the hammock body in such a way that little heat would
      escape along the sides of the hammock, but would vent from both ends.
      just a thought (or two)<g>
      again, if anybody`s going to try any thing along this line... please
      do it people free untill you`ve got a sure thing. ...tim
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 5, 2006
        Tim,

        I did a small burn test on some silnylon. It did not burn any better
        than the uncoated nylon I tested which surprised me. I believe that
        hot air balloons are made from silnylon. The burners that fire into
        them are incredibly hot and only inches away at the base. I think
        that if the candle was supended in a can the worst that could happen
        from sudden movement is that the flame would be extinguished if it
        were splashed with molten wax. I also have a hard time believing that
        a candle can produce enough CO2 to be dangerous under a tarp. Maybe
        someone has a detector that can prove me wrong. In order to do a mock-
        up I'll have to figure a way to simulate a body in the hammock. Any
        ideas?

        Brian
        T-BACK

        > 2) another option would be to have the candle hanging from the bottom
        > of the hammock`s outter shell, probably by the same type fire
        > proof/retardent fabric. again, i belive the bottom of this fabric
        > tube would need to be given it`s round shape by the wind shield & air
        > intake holes would be needed.
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 5, 2006
          Maybe
          someone has a detector that can prove me wrong. In order to do a mock-
          up I'll have to figure a way to simulate a body in the hammock. Any
          ideas?

          Brian
          T-BACK

          Risk did a test a while back. Surprised everyone by sitting in a garbage bag
          (as I remember)
          With a lit candle between his legs and his head inside to get warmed up.
          He had a CO detector with him. Seems OK.

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
            brian... when i was making the insulated winter hammock, i used pads, pillows, & even a foot stool to spread & weight the hammock.
            but you better think about what your going to say to the wife if something goes wrong <g> ...tim

            opnheartscrub@... wrote: Tim,

            .

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
              Thaks the ol' trick I've read about only using a space blanket instead
              of a bag. I've never known anyone who had actually tried it before.
              Thanks, that's good news about the CO2 level.

              Brian
              T-BACK

              > Risk did a test a while back. Surprised everyone by sitting in a
              > garbage bag
              > (as I remember)
              > With a lit candle between his legs and his head inside to get
              > warmed up.
              > He had a CO detector with him. Seems OK.
              >
              > Ralph
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                Brian, why not just use the wife (if married) for this test...

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Maybe I should start thinking of a cover story now. My wife's dad was
                  a vol. firefighter when she was growing up and she went on many calls
                  with him. She watched many people loose their homes and some their
                  lives. She is very nervious about fire so I don't think that I could
                  come up with an excuse that was good enough to explain away the reason
                  I had a small fire lit under my hammock. :'). I guess I shouldn't use
                  HER pillow for the test.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK

                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                    an excuse that was good enough to explain away the reason
                    I had a small fire lit under my hammock. :'). I guess I shouldn't use
                    HER pillow for the test.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK

                    Wow, flashback image to old Tarzan movies and human bar-b-que. Hmmmm.

                    Ralph Oborn

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006

                      > Wow, flashback image to old Tarzan movies and human bar-b-que.
                      Hmmmm.

                      I can see the jokes now. I guess Ed should change his shirt
                      from "bear pinata" to "bear bbq at table height"...

                      Jeff
                    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                        Somehow Coy, I think even if I wasn't the one in the hammock, I'd
                        still be the one who gets burned in the end. If you know what I mean.

                        Brian
                        T-BACK

                        > Brian, why not just use the wife (if married) for this test...
                        >
                        > Coy Boy
                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:

                          > Somehow Coy, I think even if I wasn't the one in the hammock, I'd
                          > still be the one who gets burned in the end. If you know what I
                          mean.

                          Well you don't put the candle on your butt, silly...
                        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                            No but that's what my wife would probably do with it...

                            Brian
                            T-BACK

                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                              Candle heat -- is this an oxymoron?

                              To my way of thinking, if the candle is burning properly and you're
                              not suffering from CO poisoning or diminished oxygen then fresh (cold)
                              air is being drawn in to replenish/replace that which was consumed.
                              IF the candle is burning and you're not getting sick then fresh air is
                              drawn into the tent, hammock, or whatever shelter you're dealing with
                              and nothing (i.e., the enclosed air) is being heated by the candle.

                              Whatcha' think?

                              john
                            • Brian Neeley
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
                                Hello all

                                I'm suprised that no one has (yet) mentioned that CO2 and CO and both denser than air.

                                In a tent (where you would be sleeping at the bottom of your "air column") this is a problem, especially since you have walls and a floor that are sewn up together. In a hammock, you sleep toward the top of the "air column" (where the carbon oxides *won't* be, unless they manage to build up; and in that case, they would put out the candle anyway). Also, a hammock uses a tarp, so there is plenty of ventilation for the gases.

                                Now, the only real problem is not burning up your hammock.

                                Just my $.02 .

                                Brian Neeley

                                ...I also have a hard time believing that

                                a candle can produce enough CO2 to be dangerous under a tarp. Maybe

                                someone has a detector that can prove me wrong. In order to do a mock-

                                up I'll have to figure a way to simulate a body in the hammock.

                                <!--

                                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                #ygrp-text{
                                font-family:Georgia;
                                }
                                #ygrp-text p{
                                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                font-family:Arial;
                                clear:both;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vitnav{
                                padding-top:10px;
                                font-family:Verdana;
                                font-size:77%;
                                margin:0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                padding:0 1px;
                                }
                                #ygrp-actbar{
                                clear:both;
                                margin:25px 0;
                                white-space:nowrap;
                                color:#666;
                                text-align:right;
                                }
                                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                float:left;
                                white-space:nowrap;
                                }
                                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                #ygrp-grft{
                                font-family:Verdana;
                                font-size:77%;
                                padding:15px 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-ft{
                                font-family:verdana;
                                font-size:77%;
                                border-top:1px solid #666;
                                padding:5px 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                padding-bottom:10px;
                                }

                                #ygrp-vital{
                                background-color:#e0ecee;
                                margin-bottom:20px;
                                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                font-size:77%;
                                font-family:Verdana;
                                font-weight:bold;
                                color:#333;
                                text-transform:uppercase;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital ul{
                                padding:0;
                                margin:2px 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                list-style-type:none;
                                clear:both;
                                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                font-weight:bold;
                                color:#ff7900;
                                float:right;
                                width:2em;
                                text-align:right;
                                padding-right:.5em;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                font-weight:bold;
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital a {
                                text-decoration:none;
                                }

                                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                text-decoration:underline;
                                }

                                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                color:#999;
                                font-size:77%;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                padding:6px 13px;
                                background-color:#e0ecee;
                                margin-bottom:20px;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                                margin:0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                list-style-type:square;
                                padding:6px 0;
                                font-size:77%;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                text-decoration:none;
                                font-size:130%;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                                background-color:#eee;
                                margin-bottom:20px;
                                padding:0 8px;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                padding:8px 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                font-family:Arial;
                                font-weight:bold;
                                color:#628c2a;
                                font-size:100%;
                                line-height:122%;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                text-decoration:none;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                text-decoration:underline;
                                }
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                margin:0;
                                }
                                o {font-size:0;}
                                .MsoNormal {
                                margin:0 0 0 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-text tt{
                                font-size:120%;
                                }
                                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                .replbq {margin:4;}
                                -->

                              • Black Wolfe
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                  Side stepping the candle next to your tarp issues and giving a new approach.

                                  This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.

                                  1) Build a very small boiler, really nothing more is needed than a copper
                                  tubing coil over the candle.

                                  2) A coil of tubing inside your sleeping system. Perhaps built into your
                                  pad.

                                  3) Connecting tubing and perhaps a reservoir.

                                  4) Setup; The "boiler" must be at the low point, the "heater", near the
                                  top, with the reservoir at the top. There must be no air bubbles in the
                                  loop. Convection will carry the heated water up through the system, The
                                  cooled water will sink to be rewarmed in the boiler.

                                  Down side? Weight! I expect that we could not make a working system under
                                  1.5 pounds. If the tubing is to small friction will lock it so the heated
                                  water won't flow fast enough to be usable. And if you boil the water it
                                  might create a air bubble that will lock the system too.

                                  Black Wolfe
                                  Bruce W. Calkins

                                  > Now, the only real problem is not burning up your hammock.
                                • jimdb00
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                    HI new here. WHy not just end your pain and do like the rest of us up
                                    north. wear a wool cap at nite and put a hand warmer in your sack to
                                    keep you warm. If its really bad use two.
                                    jim
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                      interresting. ...tim

                                      Black Wolfe <blackwolfe@...> wrote: Side stepping the candle next to your tarp issues and giving a new approach.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Black Wolfe" <blackwolfe@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.

                                        Couldn't you use plastic tubing? Just have copper for the boiler and
                                        6" on either side, then connect it to the plastic. The water should
                                        keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no? That would save
                                        some weight and make it flexible enough to fun the tubing inside the
                                        hammock as it moves around.

                                        Jeff
                                      • Jeff
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006

                                          > The water should
                                          > keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no?

                                          I guess since it's a closed system, the water could be superheated
                                          before it boiled. If the tea candle could actually get the water hot
                                          enough, it might damage the plastic. Wonder how hot a single burn
                                          would get the water, or how many candles you could use before it did
                                          get too hot.

                                          I like the idea, though I'd still be hesitant to hike out depending on
                                          that system w/o enough traditional insulation to survive.

                                          Jeff
                                        • Ralph Oborn
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                            On 10/7/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Black Wolfe" <blackwolfe@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.
                                            >
                                            > Couldn't you use plastic tubing? Just have copper for the boiler and
                                            > 6" on either side, then connect it to the plastic. The water should
                                            > keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no? That would save
                                            > some weight and make it flexible enough to fun the tubing inside the
                                            > hammock as it moves around.
                                            >
                                            > Jeff

                                            OK folks, who said we would let engineers post here? :]

                                            Run the tubing over to a campfire (if you have one). The plastic (tygone (R)
                                            ) would also act as an expansion bladder.

                                            Ralph Oborn

                                          • Black Wolfe
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                              LOL, because the engineering type is not satisfied until the project is
                                              completely overengineered. ;)

                                              Black Wolfe
                                              Bruce W. Calkins

                                              > HI new here. WHy not just end your pain and do like the rest of us up
                                              > north. wear a wool cap at nite and put a hand warmer in your sack to
                                              > keep you warm. If its really bad use two.
                                              > jim
                                            • Ralph Oborn
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                On 10/7/06, Black Wolfe <blackwolfe@...> wrote:

                                                > LOL, because the engineering type is not satisfied until the project is
                                                > completely overengineered. ;)
                                                >
                                                > Black Wolfe
                                                > Bruce W. Calkins

                                                I guess in the spirit of full disclosure I should have noted my degrees in
                                                Physics and Engineering :]

                                                Ralph Oborn

                                              • Keith
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                  Hmm....I'm away a day or two and when I come back, we're building
                                                  hammock stills? Woohoo! Should make for an interesting New Year's
                                                  campout! :)

                                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Black Wolfe" <blackwolfe@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > This idea is a miniaturizing of a gravity assisted hot water system.
                                                  >
                                                  > Couldn't you use plastic tubing? Just have copper for the boiler and
                                                  > 6" on either side, then connect it to the plastic. The water should
                                                  > keep the copper from heating to more than 212F, no? That would save
                                                  > some weight and make it flexible enough to fun the tubing inside the
                                                  > hammock as it moves around.
                                                  >
                                                  > Jeff

                                                • Black Wolfe
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                    > LOL, because the engineering type is not satisfied until the project is
                                                    > completely overengineered. ;)
                                                    >
                                                    > Black Wolfe
                                                    > Bruce W. Calkins

                                                    I guess in the spirit of full disclosure I should have noted my degrees in
                                                    Physics and Engineering :]

                                                    Ralph Oborn

                                                    While I am but a lowly Electrical Engineering student. With many years in the school of hard knocks. ;) Oh, did you say full disclosure? Well that ain't goin'a happen.

                                                    Black Wolfe
                                                    Bruce W. Calkins

                                                  • Jeff
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
                                                      wrote:

                                                      > ...we're building hammock stills...

                                                      AWESOME - a multi-use hammock heater! The man's a genius, I don't
                                                      care if he IS an engineer...or a physicist.

                                                      Jeff
                                                    • Keith
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
                                                        Lol...

                                                        That reminds me - I heard a joke the other day that some of you might
                                                        appreciate.

                                                        A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are sharing a hotel room
                                                        to save money while attending a conference. Sometime in the middle of
                                                        the night, all three of their beds catch fire.

                                                        The engineer is the first to react. He runs out of the room, returns
                                                        a moment later with the end of a garden hose, and douses his bed. The
                                                        fire is out, but now he has to sleep in a wet bed.

                                                        The physicist observes the engineer's technique, but decides to go a
                                                        different route. He scribbles on a pad of paper for a moment, then
                                                        gets a precise amount of water from the bathroom and dumps it on his
                                                        bed. The fire is put out and there is no water left over, so his bed
                                                        is now nice and dry.

                                                        The mathematician has been calmly watching the other two the entire
                                                        time. After noting the successes and failures of the previous
                                                        approaches, he turns to the other two and states simply, "A solution
                                                        exists."

                                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@>
                                                        > wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > ...we're building hammock stills...
                                                        >
                                                        > AWESOME - a multi-use hammock heater! The man's a genius, I don't
                                                        > care if he IS an engineer...or a physicist.
                                                        >
                                                        > Jeff

                                                      • chcoa
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 8, 2006
                                                          See what happens when you sleep in a bed!!! hahaha

                                                          jamie