RE: Hammock Camping AT Section Hike

    Message 1 of 25 , May 28 10:31 AM
      Message
      Tony, I take 1,000mg glucosamine twice a day every day.   General advice is to take 3,000mg/d for first month, then drop back to a smaller maintance dosage.  On a long trail, i'll take up to 6,000mg/d, starting a month before the hike. It's not like a pain killer that takes effect immediately--instead, it works very slowly to rehydrate joint cartledge.  Most folks won't notice any improvement for weeks or months after starting to take it--some folks stop taking it because they don't see quick improvement--it's very subtle over a long time. It is also non toxic, so you can't overdose. Since rehydration is involved, be sure to drink lots of water every day of your life--tea, soda, coffee, etc don't count as water. How much water?  A gallon/d at home is not too much; of course, more when on the trail.  Yes this is a LOT of water! I no longer drink anything but water--my knees thank me every day! By the way, lower back pain is also commonly due to dehydration--mine has gone away since I started drinking lots of water and taking glucosamine!

      I use Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart--just glucosamine, not chrondrotin. I've read in a medical book that chrondrotin works wonders if taken by injection, but is not adsorbed into the body when taken orally. The commonly combined glucosamine-chrondrotin supplements that are heavily advertised are way too expensive for me, so I take only glucosamine.  Happy hiking...Ed

      Message 2 of 25 , May 28 1:26 PM
        > could you explain, having not actually used a
        > hammock yet, but will do so soon, i'd like to know
        > what it is ppl do wrong, then i can avoid making
        > those mistakes.

        Rick covered this really well, but I wanted to add one thing:

        People tend to hang their hammocks too low. This causes lots of problems
        getting in and out. If you are having trouble, it's too low.

        Shane
      • amy
        Message 3 of 25 , May 28 4:17 PM
          On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:31 PM, Ed Speer wrote:

          > Tony, I take 1,000mg glucosamine twice a day every day.   General
          > advice is to take 3,000mg/d for first month, then drop back to a
          > smaller maintance dosage.  On a long trail, i'll take up to 6,000mg/d,
          > starting a month before the hike. It's not like a pain killer that
          > takes effect immediately--instead, it works very slowly to
          > rehydrate joint cartledge.  Most folks won't notice any improvement
          > for weeks or months after starting to take it--some folks stop taking
          > it because they don't see quick improvement--it's very subtle over a
          > long time. It is also non toxic, so you can't overdose. Since
          > rehydration is involved, be sure to drink lots of water every day of
          > your life--tea, soda, coffee, etc don't count as water. How much
          > water?  A gallon/d at home is not too much; of course, more when on
          > the trail.  Yes this is a LOT of water! I no longer drink anything but
          > water--my knees thank me every day! By the way, lower back pain is
          > also commonly due to dehydration--mine has gone away since I started
          > drinking lots of water and taking glucosamine!
          >
          > I use Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart--just glucosamine, not
          > chrondrotin. I've read in a medical book that chrondrotin works
          > wonders if taken by injection, but is not adsorbed into the body when
          > taken orally. The commonly combined glucosamine-chrondrotin
          > supplements that are heavily advertised are way too expensive for me,
          > so I take only glucosamine.  Happy hiking...Ed

          I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in combination
          with
          other substances. Both my old horses are on a supplement which contains
          glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c. I ran out and used a
          glucosamine
          only supplement for a while. The combo definitely worked better, in
          that
          while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy within
          two weeks.

          Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology, of
          course.

          -amy
          Message 4 of 25 , May 28 4:50 PM
            Message
            Amy, that MSM is probably better than either glucosamine or chrondroitin for joints--I'd be taking it except it's very, very expensive...Ed

            Message 5 of 25 , May 29 6:48 AM
              Funny you mention this. I just read that "other stuff" is required
              to help absorb Glucosamine sulfate. Of course, in was on a "vendors"
              site, so I took it with a grain of salt.

              See Item #7 on this
              http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/arthritis-tips/
              page.

              The only item I see that you mentioned that I have concerns about is
              chondroitin. Most of what I read, and what my pharmacists told me,
              states that this stuff just isn't absorbed well, if at all, via oral
              meds. I think Ed mentioned this as well.

              --- amy <askowronek@...> wrote:
              > I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in
              > combination
              > with
              > other substances. Both my old horses are on a supplement which
              > contains
              > glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c. I ran out and used a
              >
              > glucosamine
              > only supplement for a while. The combo definitely worked better,
              > in
              > that
              > while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy
              > within
              > two weeks.
              >
              > Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology,
              > of
              > course.
              >
              > -amy

              =====
              Tony

              http://calendar.yahoo.com
            • colonelcorn76
              Message 6 of 25 , May 29 8:35 AM
                > Amy, that MSM is probably better than either glucosamine or
                chrondroitin
                > for joints--I'd be taking it except it's very, very expensive...Ed

                I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
                combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
                take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
                them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
                tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
                price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
                glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.
                Message 7 of 25 , May 29 9:51 AM
                  Message
                  Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll check that out...Ed

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 29 4:34 PM
                    On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 11:35 AM, colonelcorn76 wrote:

                    > I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
                    > combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
                    > take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
                    > them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
                    > tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
                    > price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
                    > glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.

                    You don't even want to know how much it costs to dose two eleven hundred
                    pound animals with the stuff daily. :)

                    -amy
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 30 5:29 PM
                      Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff. My knee is doing better
                      with rest and occasional vit I. I did a bit of an internet search on
                      the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                      As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                      of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                      Article I studied is here:

                      http://tinyurl.com/415d

                      Rick,
                      The country doctor,
                      Hammock hanger,
                      sewing maniac,
                      limping AT hiker
                      > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                      > check that out...Ed

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=17
                      05
                      > 065843:HM/A=1595053/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?
                      YH=3

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 30 6:10 PM
                        Message
                        Rick, I noticed improvement in my knees after only two weeks--some people don't notice anything for 4 weeks or so. In any event, I'm confident you will feel better if you stick with it....Ed

                        Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
                        with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
                        the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                        As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                        of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                        Article I studied is here:

                        http://tinyurl.com/415d

                        Rick,
                        The country doctor,
                        Hammock hanger,
                        sewing maniac,
                        limping AT hiker
                        > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                        > check that out...Ed

                      • robi dawson
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 30 10:32 PM
                          With all this talk of glucosamine of late i was wondering what the side'negative effects of it can be? Is there any known long term minuses for taking so much?

                          rob

                          b96a6.jpg
                          b9725.jpg

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 31 4:41 AM
                            Message
                            No, Robi, there are no serious known side effects.  The link Rick gave below mentiones some minor ones--but the medical book I have gives none...Ed

                            Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
                            with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
                            the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

                            As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
                            of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

                            Article I studied is here:

                            http://tinyurl.com/415d

                            Rick,
                            The country doctor,
                            Hammock hanger,
                            sewing maniac,
                            limping AT hiker
                            > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
                            > check that out...Ed

                          • dawnhark
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 19, 2003
                              Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                              Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                              says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also warned
                              me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it and
                              it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com

                              Dawn
                            • alidisaster
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                                Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                                arthritis)
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                                > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                                > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                                warned
                                > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                                and
                                > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                                >
                                > Dawn
                              • Risk
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                                  Dawn,

                                  Vit I: TrailName for ibuprophen aka Motrin aka Advil; I take 400 mg
                                  when anything/everything is sore, usually just in the morning when
                                  hiking, but can be used 4 times a day. After a couple days on the
                                  trail, I usually don't need it anymore.

                                  Oh, and for Ed who was looking for an inexpensive source of
                                  Glucosamine: Sams Club (next to Walmart most places) has plain
                                  Glucosamine 1000 mg; 240 tabs for $9.50 At $.04 per tab and Ed's
                                  recommended daily dose of 2000 mg (2 gm) it ends up costing $2.40 a
                                  month.

                                  That is the best price I have found in the last month of looking.

                                  Rick

                                  wrote:

                                  > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                                  > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                                  > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                                  warned
                                  > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                                  and
                                  > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                                  >
                                  > Dawn
                                • dawnhark
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 21, 2003
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                                    <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                                    > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                                    > arthritis)

                                    I'm sure there is, but LOL I can only afford it for my dog right now!!

                                    Dawn and the ever-lovin' Jesse

                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                                    > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                                    > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                                    > warned
                                    > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                                    > and
                                    > > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                                    > >
                                    > > Dawn
                                  • colonelcorn76
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 22, 2003
                                      <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                                      > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due
                                      > arthritis)
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on
                                      Joint
                                      > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My
                                      friend
                                      > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                                      > warned
                                      > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without

                                      BJ's Wholesale Club (& Sam's Club) sell Glucosamine/MSM combos in
                                      180 count bottles of 500mg tablets (500mg each of Glucosamine & MSM)
                                      for 10 bucks. The one I got had a special with 240 count in the
                                      bottle last time.

                                      They also have Gluc/Chondroitin and Gluc/Chon/MSM but at about 3
                                      times the price and Chondroitin oral supplements don't seem to have
                                      the efficacy in testing as Gluc/MSM does.

                                      Jim