adjustable guy lines

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
      i was looking at some of the knot resorces that rat & others have
      provided, but i`m not seeing the knot that some of you use to attach
      guy lines to the tarp sides. it alows you to silde & adjust tention
      right at the tarp. thanks. ...tim
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
        Tim,

        I don't know the name of it but Karen showed me a knot at the first
        hangout I attended that works very well for tarp adjustments. Maybe
        she could enlighten us with the name. I'm working on getting my set-
        up to the point where I can make all my adjustments to my hammock and
        tarp from under my tarp.

        Brian
        T-BACK

        From: tim garner <slowhike@...>

        > i was looking at some of the knot resorces that rat & others have
        > provided, but i`m not seeing the knot that some of you use to attach
        > guy lines to the tarp sides. it alows you to silde & adjust tention
        > right at the tarp. thanks. ...tim
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006

          > i was looking at some of the knot resorces that rat & others have
          > provided, but i`m not seeing the knot that some of you use to attach
          > guy lines to the tarp sides. it alows you to silde & adjust tention
          > right at the tarp. thanks. ...tim

          Taught line hitch?

          http://scouttroop.org/nj/bsa/23/tenderfoot_taught-line_hitch.htm

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            that`s it. i thought that might be it, but i think i did it wrong the 1st time i tryed.
            thanks ralph. ...tim

            Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: On 10/4/06, tim garner wrote:

            > i was looking at some of the knot resorces that rat & others have
            > provided, but i`m not seeing the knot that some of you use to attach
            > guy lines to the tarp sides. it alows you to silde & adjust tention
            > right at the tarp. thanks. ...tim

            Taught line hitch?

            http://scouttroop.org/nj/bsa/23/tenderfoot_taught-line_hitch.htm

            Ralph
            .

            .

          • Rat
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
              Hey Tim, instead of tying the Taught-line Hitch try using the
              Rolling Hitch. The Rolling Hitch is tied basically the same way
              except the second wrap is tucked in front of the first. This way it
              doesn't slip at all. The Taught-Line will slip on slick rope and
              cord (550 cord, sheathed Spectra etc.), especially in windy
              conditions wher the cord is constantly taking and shedding loads.
              Here is the link:
              http://tinyurl.com/oz43l

              Rat

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
                ok... i`ll give that a try. the cord is defiantly slick. thanks ...tim

                Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote: Hey Tim, instead of tying the Taught-line Hitch try using the

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                wrote:

                > that`s it. i thought that might be it, but i think i did it wrong
                the 1st time i tryed.
                > thanks ralph. ...tim
                >
                > Ralph Oborn wrote: On 10/4/06, tim garner wrote:
                > >
                > > i was looking at some of the knot resorces that rat & others have
                > > provided, but i`m not seeing the knot that some of you use to
                attach
                > > guy lines to the tarp sides. it alows you to silde & adjust
                tention
                > > right at the tarp. thanks. ...tim
                >

                > Taught line hitch?
                >
                > http://scouttroop.org/nj/bsa/23/tenderfoot_taught-line_hitch.htm
                >
                > Ralph
                > .
                >
                > .

              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Hey Rat, thanks for the tip! I've been tying Tautline hitches for years,
                  and sometimes cussing them when it rained on the nylon lines and I had to go
                  out in the rain and snug them up. That simple modification really locks them
                  in, doesn't it? Way cool.

                  Thanks again,

                  Carey