Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: tarps (was Tarp Tent)

    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 4, 2006
      Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:
      Thanks, Tim... I bought it quite a while ago - almost a year??? before I knew about silnylon...I've pulled it out so don't think HH would take it back for an exchange.

      ### even if you decide to get a silnylon tarp for backpacking, the other one will still be good to have for car camping & loaning out.

      hmmm...not joining the beaks in the middle? seems as if it would defeat their purpose...and putting velcro to allow opening and closing would add weight. or a nylong zipper?????

      ### i haven`t actualy experimented w/ that idea, but i`ve been giving a lot of though to some type of "end caps" that would weigh near nothing, be easy to use, & be flexible to accomidate for differant situations.
      the main reason for them would be to keep rain from drifting/blowing in onto the ends of the hammock.
      if the main ridge line of the tarp is longer than your hammock from attachment point to attachment point, then rain should not be able to drip down onto your hammock. the thought about the divided end caps (or beaks) would be that they over-lap & stop blowing rain before it goes under the main tarp. if rain runs in at the slit, it will simply drop strait down shy of the hammock end. just a thought at this point.
      also you could take a look at the hammock booties/mini scoks or whatever<g> that i made to cover the end of my hammock. i think there`s a photo of them in the SEHHA 06 album.
      it seems that a lot of people have less problems w/ rain blowing in the ends, because they hang the tarp a lot closer to the hammock. but i like to hang my tarp high & wide when i can so the view`s unrestricted... like laying under a big porch<G> ...tim
      .

      .
      .

      .

      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph