Re: Darts and hems

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
      Wanted to pass on this site with some helpful definitions.
      http://www.loudzen.com/users/jessica/precostuming/jargon.html

      Doesn't help much for the difference between folded and rolled hems,
      though. I guess what I've been doing could be called a double folded
      hem according to this.

      Folded Hem - This is the simplest type of hem, formed by folding the
      raw edge over twice and sewing the folded edge down, encasing the raw
      edge. For a fabric that doesn't fray easily, you can instead simply
      fold the hem over once before sewing it down.

      Rolled Hem - A variation of a folded hem, a rolled hem is formed by
      rolling over a tiny amount of the edge of the fabric and sewing it
      down. This type of hem is often used for edging very thin or sheer
      fabrics.
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
        Keith wrote:
        >The one drawback I've found to doing it this way is that it takes a
        >while to fold and pin each time. However, since I haven't had enough
        >practice yet, I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
        >first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

        Get a rolled-hem foot for your machine.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
          I have sometimes described it as a single fold hem with exposed fabric
          edge and a rolled hem with hidden fabric edge.

          Rick