Re: [Hammock Camping] Byer's (was HH Ultra BPAsym VS. Speer 8.0A)

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
      I have only used it for weekend R&R along our community lake (had hip replaced earlier this year), but my el cheapo Byer's of Maine hammock has some features that I really like: top entry, bug screen with ridge line and zipper along the side (easy to reach for stuff outside), can be flipped over to use sans net, "almost queen size," stuffs into own gear pocket... oh, and did I mention it was cheap?

      Does not come with tarp, which is why I ordered the HH tarp that cost me about $60!! And I am concerned about the bulk and weight of that tarp!

      http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

      Has anyone camped with the Byer's? Comments?

      I bought their toggle rope set from Campmor - C & C Outdoors has another style.

      tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
      wow... that seems like a loaded question<G>
      some people like one & some people like the other. then some people like both!
      i clearly like the speer (top loading) type. for one thing, it seems to work a little better w/ a thicker pad like the exped d.a.m.
      but even more important to me is that i don`t like being closed in w/ bug net unless it`s REALLY needed. since i started using a hammock in spring of 05, i`ve not used a bug net. i also like to be able to reach stuff on the ground.
      but that`s just one persons oppinion. ..tim

      Jim <james.a.thompson@...> wrote: !! HELP !!
      I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
      Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

      I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I completed
      a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.

      I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.

      Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost

      Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection

      What do y'all think?

      Pray for Peace ... JIM

      Sandy Kramer

    • bbqporksteak
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <james.a.thompson@...>
        wrote:

        > !! HELP !!
        > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
        > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

        Personally,
        I am quite fond of the Speer. I must admit, though, that I have not
        used the Hennessey, but I did spend time sweating over this same
        issue before buying. With the Speer I like top entry, the removable
        bug net, the bigger tarp, the tarp being separate from the hammock
        (it doesn't sag when you get into the hammock), no need to peg the
        sides to the ground, very easy to set up, very comfortable, and if
        you aren't afraid to try sewing, very cheap. It was my very first
        sewing project, and I breezed right through it. If you buy it pre-
        sewn, it is still fairly priced. And Ed will give you a signed copy
        of his book with the purchase. I can hang my LED light and medical
        needs form the bug net line, within easy-to-find-in-the-darkness-
        reach. I must say that I also like the elegant simplicity of the
        design.
        Hope this helps.
        Bob.
      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
          Jim-

          I don't have a Speer, but do have several Hennessys. I'm sending you a PM. We might be able to meet in between us for a dayhike or overnight to compare gear. I'm relatively near you (in MA). I don't have a roadworthy bike, but I bet you have good legs for riding or walking.

          Rosaleen

          Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A
          Posted by: "Jim" james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...> marriedmuscle

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
            Jim,

            I've used both those hammocks before. The weight difference isn't
            very much and most of it is in the tarp size so if you go with the
            same size tarps there likely isn't a weight difference of any
            significance. Most people find both those hammocks comfortable but
            there are folks who prefer one type or the other. Some of the
            issues that divide some folks one way or the other are the sewn-in
            bugnet versus removable bugnet, access to gear outside the hammock,
            bottom entry versus side entry, full time integral ridgeline,
            differences in setup procedures, how well it functions as a camp
            chair and flexibility with insulation. The flexibility with
            insulation effects wrap around insulation like a Peapod or other
            large sleeping bags that can encompass the hammock for the most part
            and the bottom side entry being somewhat of an issue with bottom
            side insulation when you exit and enter the hammock to a smaller
            degree.

            Youngblood

            wrote:

            > !! HELP !!
            > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
            > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?
            >
            > I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I
            completed
            > a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.
            >
            > I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.
            >
            > Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost
            >
            > Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection
            >
            > What do y'all think?
            >
            > Pray for Peace ... JIM

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
              Hi Jim,

              I also have both types of hammocks. I don't own Ed's model but I do
              have a top entry.

              The only difference I can see is in the HH you are fully enclosed
              all the time and that gives a slightly more tent-like feeling. I
              liked this when I first transitioned from my tent to a tree
              dweller. The bottom entry is also very nice as I didn't have to
              worry about rolling myself out in my deep sleep. :)

              As far as insulation goes, they are different but there are option
              suited for both on the market and from what I have seen they are
              comparable.

              In my opinion the plusses go like this....

              HH - Pros - More tentlike, bug protection is wonderful, bottom entry
              gives me a safe feel, excellent craftsmanship and service from HH,
              several insluation options, easier to keep a sleeping pad in place
              on the inside (this is my personal experience, I'm others might
              disagree)

              Speer type - Pros - slightly lighter than HH, some are cheeper,
              removable bug netting, side entry allows faster entry and exit
              during moonlight restroom breaks, you can make your own, you can use
              a ridgeline or not, works great as a chair, and you can reach things
              on the ground. If you buy from Ed you will also get impeccable
              craftmanship and service.

              Jamie in AZ

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                Thanks for your question Jim-glad to see you made it online and joined us!
                As you can see by the numerous thoughtful responses, this is a wonderful
                List and a great place to learn about hammock camping. I'd also like to
                thank everyone who responded to Jim's question. The responses are
                respective and very informative-but I'd also like to thank everyone for
                helping maintain the spirit of this List. As long as we continue to openly
                & respectfully share our personal experiences, our List will remain
                healthy..Ed

                Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                Editor, Hammock Camping News

                Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Jim-

                  Where was my brain the other day? Hmm! Besides getting our opinions on-line, consider attending a gathering of some sort where you can see hammockers and their gear. There should be some hammock fans (like Ed, maybe) at the ALDHA Gathering in W VA this month. Closer to you, a bunch of us are getting together less formally at Dingmans Campground in the Delaware Water Gap region of PA, and the PA "RUCK" in January.

                  JD and I are getting the ball rolling on the Nov. one, and it is wide open to anyone who wishes to attend. Some of us will show up Thursday, Nov. 9, in order to get some hiking in on Friday, and several will mosey on in over the weekend. I anticipate all of us will be out of there by Sunday Noon or so. I've received some Atsko Sport-Wash samples to pass out. The grain company hasn't responded, so no Hogsdon Mills dishes to share, so far. We may do some pot luck dinners, burgers over gas grilles, whatever. Jeff G. (another list) is donating one of his Magna Screens, and I'll make at least one stove and probably some other pet goodies to donate as "prizes." I doubt we will have the competition involving a length of hose and a funnel, but may go for neatest/lightest rig, greatest distance, whatever. At least we will have some toys to use for drawings. You would have a chance to meet some other hammockers and see at least one Hennessy and at least one Speer set up.

                  If you aren't in a rush to buy, consider some fun field study options...

                  Everyone is welcome. Send me a PM and I'll add you to our E-mail list.

                  Cheers!

                  Rosaleen

                  (PS-You must meet J.D.'s dog, too!)

                  Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A
                  Posted by: "Jim" james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...>> marriedmuscle
                  Date: Tue Oct 3, 2006 4:56 pm (PDT)

                  !! HELP !!
                  I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
                  Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

                  (SNIP)
                  What do y'all think?

                  Pray for Peace ... JIM

                • Richard Perlman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Rosaleen Sullivan wrote:
                    > I've received some Atsko Sport-Wash samples to pass out.

                    I've been using this stuff for a couple of years now, on the
                    recommendation of the guys at Campmor. It's much less expensive
                    than McNett and the other mfrs of wash soap for W/B laminates,
                    fleece, base layers, etc. I use it for all my hiking and
                    skiing clothes.

                    Rich