[Hammock Camping] Re: cold weather set up

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Richard Perlman <richard@...>
      wrote:

      > Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.
      >
      > I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the
      low 20*s
      > and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad
      has a R7
      > rating.
      >
      > The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear,
      Possum down
      > socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a
      quilt on
      > top and slept directly on the TR pad.
      >
      > This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer
      hammock with
      > PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm
      totally sold on
      > under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.
      >
      > My sleeping kit:
      > Speer 8.0A hammock
      > Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
      > Speer PeaPod
      > Speer TopBlanket
      > HH Explorer UL Asym
      > HH Hyperlight
      > JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
      > TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
      > Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
      > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
      > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants
      >
      > I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder
      temps.

      > This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
      > the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
      > my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.
      >
      > Rich

      Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
      great for me too! All my trips these days are in western Montana
      so, even May thru October, I have to be ready for hard freezes and
      nasty weather. I therefore carry insulated clothing all the time
      and using it for a sleep system gives me double-usage. I use
      Integral Designs' Dolomitti jacket w/hood and Denali pants (since
      replaced by BMW's Cocoon pants). If it's in the middle of summer
      and hard freezes don't look like a realistic possibility I'll leave
      the pants at home. The rest is the typical collection of balaclava,
      fresh wool socks and booties, long underware and fleece mittens. I
      use the 7oz Oware pad and usually clip a light fleece throw to it
      for a total of 21oz for that under insulation. To date, I've only
      used a sleeping bag as a quilt once, all other times I didn't use,
      or need, a top cover/bag. I have added a quilt to extend my range
      but haven't used it in cold weather hammocking yet.

      All this has kept me comfortable to the high-20s which I expected it
      to do. The unanticipated benefit was the late-night Nature
      calls...already dressed including booties, I just drop out of the
      Hennessy, walk to a good tree :) and return. No struggling with
      putting on clothes in the cold, no cold sleeping bag to return to,
      etc. No early morning dressing in the cold, either. I just
      wait 'til temps are 'more comfortable.'

      john
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jmgarberson@...> wrote:
        > Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
        > great for me too!

        I've always done this, even before converting to hammocks. I've
        always thought it odd that people don't pay more attention to it. The
        colder it gets the greater the proportion of insulation that must be
        shifted to protective clothing. What's the point of having a
        bombproof cold-weather hammock setup if you freeze yourself numb
        fixing breakfast and packing up?

        Doug Frost
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
          i agree. makes sense to me that the clothing that keeps me warm when i`m up, is part of my sleep system. & like you said, makes getting up less of a shock. ....tim