RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Crazy Creek straps

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
      I've used the CC straps in this way.

      My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with a lark's head.

      I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

      This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.

      If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps separate.

      Bear

    • terry_and_pearl
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
        Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

        http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

        or these:

        http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

        I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
        straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

        I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

        They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
        widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
        to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
        doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
        polyester.

        Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
        buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
        strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

        The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
        for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
        Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
        use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
        lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

        > I've used the CC straps in this way.
        >
        > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
        into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
        a lark's head.

        > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
        the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
        the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

        > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
        >
        > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
        last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
        separate.

        > Bear

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
          <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

          > Does anybody have pics of the buckles??

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
          20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Jeff%20Jackson/Initial%20Report/

          There's a pic in the most recent SEHHA folder on this forum.

          Their straps are nylon. She didn't give a breaking strength but
          seemed confident they would hold up (straps and buckles).

          Strap/buckle sets are $10 a set when purchased separately.

          Jeff
        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
            i don't know the answer to the question, but I have ordered cam buckles from Quest Outfitters (google them)...they have a LOT of stuff to make things, plus they have these cam buckles in plastic.

            terry_and_pearl <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

            Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

            http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

            or these:

            http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

            I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
            straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

            I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

            They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
            widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
            to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
            doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
            polyester.

            Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
            buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
            strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

            The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
            for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
            Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
            use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
            lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

            > I've used the CC straps in this way.
            >
            > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
            into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
            a lark's head.

            > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
            the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
            the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

            > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
            >
            > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
            last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
            separate.

            > Bear

            Sandy Kramer

          • RevT
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
              Here are a couple of close up shots of the buckles.

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Brian%20Tannehill/Initial%20Report/

              or
              http://tinyurl.com/ke7uo

              Brian

              > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

            • bbqporksteak
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2006
                <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble
                these:

                > http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm
                >
                > or these:
                >
                > http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm
                >
                > I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                > straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).
                >
                > I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                terry_and_pearl,
                Did you, by chance, happen to weigh those buckles? Have you had any
                slippage or wear to the straps with them?
                Thanks