Re: Darts and hems

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006

      > Here's something that explains darts as they work on underquilts.
      And
      > a pic of the rolled hem...I think it's the same as a folded hem.

      On second thought, I think a folded hem might just be one fold,
      whereas a rolled hem is like two folds - you roll the raw edge under
      and then sew it inside so it's not exposed. In that case, a folded
      hem could still fray until it's damaged, while a rolled hem won't fray.

      Anyone else understand it this way?

      Might have to redo that picture.

      Jeff
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
        The rolled hem is definitely what I've been doing all along - it just
        seemed like the only way to completely stop raveling.

        Sewing ripstop has made this really easy. I just fold and pin 3
        squares wide (about 3/8"), then loosely stitch it. Then I fold the
        hem back over itself, and run a final stitch.

        The one drawback I've found to doing it this way is that it takes a
        while to fold and pin each time. However, since I haven't had enough
        practice yet, I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
        first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Here's something that explains darts as they work on underquilts.
        > And
        > > a pic of the rolled hem...I think it's the same as a folded hem.
        >
        > On second thought, I think a folded hem might just be one fold,
        > whereas a rolled hem is like two folds - you roll the raw edge under
        > and then sew it inside so it's not exposed. In that case, a folded
        > hem could still fray until it's damaged, while a rolled hem won't fray.
        >
        > Anyone else understand it this way?
        >
        > Might have to redo that picture.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
          wrote:

          > I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
          > first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

          Just try doing it w/o pinning. Mine hems aren't perfect, but after a
          few projects they're pretty good - good enough that I'm glad I didn't
          spend any time pinning it, at least. The only time I pin is when I
          have a tricky connection, like putting the undercover on the insulated
          hammock. YMMV.

          Jeff
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            Wanted to pass on this site with some helpful definitions.
            http://www.loudzen.com/users/jessica/precostuming/jargon.html

            Doesn't help much for the difference between folded and rolled hems,
            though. I guess what I've been doing could be called a double folded
            hem according to this.

            Folded Hem - This is the simplest type of hem, formed by folding the
            raw edge over twice and sewing the folded edge down, encasing the raw
            edge. For a fabric that doesn't fray easily, you can instead simply
            fold the hem over once before sewing it down.

            Rolled Hem - A variation of a folded hem, a rolled hem is formed by
            rolling over a tiny amount of the edge of the fabric and sewing it
            down. This type of hem is often used for edging very thin or sheer
            fabrics.
          • Matthew Takeda
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
              Keith wrote:
              >The one drawback I've found to doing it this way is that it takes a
              >while to fold and pin each time. However, since I haven't had enough
              >practice yet, I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
              >first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

              Get a rolled-hem foot for your machine.

              Matthew Takeda
              the JOAT
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
                I have sometimes described it as a single fold hem with exposed fabric
                edge and a rolled hem with hidden fabric edge.

                Rick