Darts and hems

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
      Here's something that explains darts as they work on underquilts. And
      a pic of the rolled hem...I think it's the same as a folded hem.

      http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesHomemadeGear/Dartsandhems.JPG

      Jeff
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006

        > Here's something that explains darts as they work on underquilts.
        And
        > a pic of the rolled hem...I think it's the same as a folded hem.

        On second thought, I think a folded hem might just be one fold,
        whereas a rolled hem is like two folds - you roll the raw edge under
        and then sew it inside so it's not exposed. In that case, a folded
        hem could still fray until it's damaged, while a rolled hem won't fray.

        Anyone else understand it this way?

        Might have to redo that picture.

        Jeff
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          The rolled hem is definitely what I've been doing all along - it just
          seemed like the only way to completely stop raveling.

          Sewing ripstop has made this really easy. I just fold and pin 3
          squares wide (about 3/8"), then loosely stitch it. Then I fold the
          hem back over itself, and run a final stitch.

          The one drawback I've found to doing it this way is that it takes a
          while to fold and pin each time. However, since I haven't had enough
          practice yet, I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
          first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here's something that explains darts as they work on underquilts.
          > And
          > > a pic of the rolled hem...I think it's the same as a folded hem.
          >
          > On second thought, I think a folded hem might just be one fold,
          > whereas a rolled hem is like two folds - you roll the raw edge under
          > and then sew it inside so it's not exposed. In that case, a folded
          > hem could still fray until it's damaged, while a rolled hem won't fray.
          >
          > Anyone else understand it this way?
          >
          > Might have to redo that picture.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
            wrote:

            > I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
            > first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

            Just try doing it w/o pinning. Mine hems aren't perfect, but after a
            few projects they're pretty good - good enough that I'm glad I didn't
            spend any time pinning it, at least. The only time I pin is when I
            have a tricky connection, like putting the undercover on the insulated
            hammock. YMMV.

            Jeff
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
              Wanted to pass on this site with some helpful definitions.
              http://www.loudzen.com/users/jessica/precostuming/jargon.html

              Doesn't help much for the difference between folded and rolled hems,
              though. I guess what I've been doing could be called a double folded
              hem according to this.

              Folded Hem - This is the simplest type of hem, formed by folding the
              raw edge over twice and sewing the folded edge down, encasing the raw
              edge. For a fabric that doesn't fray easily, you can instead simply
              fold the hem over once before sewing it down.

              Rolled Hem - A variation of a folded hem, a rolled hem is formed by
              rolling over a tiny amount of the edge of the fabric and sewing it
              down. This type of hem is often used for edging very thin or sheer
              fabrics.
            • Matthew Takeda
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
                Keith wrote:
                >The one drawback I've found to doing it this way is that it takes a
                >while to fold and pin each time. However, since I haven't had enough
                >practice yet, I doubt I could get a straight hem without pinning
                >first. Any thoughts on how I could speed the process up?

                Get a rolled-hem foot for your machine.

                Matthew Takeda
                the JOAT
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
                  I have sometimes described it as a single fold hem with exposed fabric
                  edge and a rolled hem with hidden fabric edge.

                  Rick