Re: Crazy Creek straps

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
      I've asked if they have a tested strength for their straps and
      buckles - haven't gotten a reply yet. My gut feel is that the
      buckle won't break - I think it's cast or stamped rather than
      welded. Depending on what kind of webbing is used, it might not
      have enough friction to hold...but again, I'm confident enough that
      it'll work that I'm ordering some buckles unless they reply that the
      tested results are too low.

      The straps work fine in their system. I get some stretch in the
      hang, but I can't tell if it's the hammock or the strap that's
      stretching. I guess I could measure it but it hasn't been enough to
      really matter. I wouldn't want to hang a single strap w/o a good
      answer from Crazy Creek about the strength, though. They may be
      strong enough, but I already have enough webbing from Ed that I'm
      just gonna order the buckles. Besides, they print "Crazy Creek" on
      their straps and I'd rather use Ed's all black webbing.

      I'll post the answer on the strength when I get a reply.

      Jeff
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
        Hey Kieth, a dart is used to allow for expansion. Some pockets on
        cargo pants and shorts have them. Here is a link for a very good
        picture description. http://tinyurl.com/qajyn A rolled hem is an
        outside, or finished, hem in the fabric. Here is a pictorial.
        http://tinyurl.com/g9jcn This one use pins and irons and all that but
        in reality most of us just roll on the fly. When you first start it is
        easier t mark the fabric, but eventually you will learn to feel the
        right length and use the marks on the sewing machine.

        Rat

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
          I've used the CC straps in this way.

          My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with a lark's head.

          I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

          This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.

          If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps separate.

          Bear

        • terry_and_pearl
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
            Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

            http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

            or these:

            http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

            I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
            straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

            I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

            They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
            widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
            to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
            doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
            polyester.

            Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
            buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
            strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

            The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
            for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
            Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
            use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
            lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

            > I've used the CC straps in this way.
            >
            > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
            into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
            a lark's head.

            > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
            the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
            the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

            > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
            >
            > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
            last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
            separate.

            > Bear

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
              <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

              > Does anybody have pics of the buckles??

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
              20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Jeff%20Jackson/Initial%20Report/

              There's a pic in the most recent SEHHA folder on this forum.

              Their straps are nylon. She didn't give a breaking strength but
              seemed confident they would hold up (straps and buckles).

              Strap/buckle sets are $10 a set when purchased separately.

              Jeff
            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                i don't know the answer to the question, but I have ordered cam buckles from Quest Outfitters (google them)...they have a LOT of stuff to make things, plus they have these cam buckles in plastic.

                terry_and_pearl <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

                or these:

                http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

                I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

                I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
                widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
                to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
                doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
                polyester.

                Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
                buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
                strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

                The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
                for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
                Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
                use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
                lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

                > I've used the CC straps in this way.
                >
                > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
                into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
                a lark's head.

                > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
                the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
                the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
                >
                > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
                last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
                separate.

                > Bear

                Sandy Kramer

              • RevT
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Here are a couple of close up shots of the buckles.

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Brian%20Tannehill/Initial%20Report/

                  or
                  http://tinyurl.com/ke7uo

                  Brian

                  > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                • bbqporksteak
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2006
                    <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                    > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble
                    these:

                    > http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm
                    >
                    > or these:
                    >
                    > http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm
                    >
                    > I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                    > straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).
                    >
                    > I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                    terry_and_pearl,
                    Did you, by chance, happen to weigh those buckles? Have you had any
                    slippage or wear to the straps with them?
                    Thanks