Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
      wow... that seems like a loaded question<G>
      some people like one & some people like the other. then some people like both!
      i clearly like the speer (top loading) type. for one thing, it seems to work a little better w/ a thicker pad like the exped d.a.m.
      but even more important to me is that i don`t like being closed in w/ bug net unless it`s REALLY needed. since i started using a hammock in spring of 05, i`ve not used a bug net. i also like to be able to reach stuff on the ground.
      but that`s just one persons oppinion. ..tim

      Jim <james.a.thompson@...> wrote: !! HELP !!
      I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
      Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

      I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I completed
      a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.

      I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.

      Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost

      Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection

      What do y'all think?

      Pray for Peace ... JIM

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
        I have only used it for weekend R&R along our community lake (had hip replaced earlier this year), but my el cheapo Byer's of Maine hammock has some features that I really like: top entry, bug screen with ridge line and zipper along the side (easy to reach for stuff outside), can be flipped over to use sans net, "almost queen size," stuffs into own gear pocket... oh, and did I mention it was cheap?

        Does not come with tarp, which is why I ordered the HH tarp that cost me about $60!! And I am concerned about the bulk and weight of that tarp!

        http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

        Has anyone camped with the Byer's? Comments?

        I bought their toggle rope set from Campmor - C & C Outdoors has another style.

        tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
[...]

      • bbqporksteak
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <james.a.thompson@...>
          wrote:

          > !! HELP !!
          > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
          > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

          Personally,
          I am quite fond of the Speer. I must admit, though, that I have not
          used the Hennessey, but I did spend time sweating over this same
          issue before buying. With the Speer I like top entry, the removable
          bug net, the bigger tarp, the tarp being separate from the hammock
          (it doesn't sag when you get into the hammock), no need to peg the
          sides to the ground, very easy to set up, very comfortable, and if
          you aren't afraid to try sewing, very cheap. It was my very first
          sewing project, and I breezed right through it. If you buy it pre-
          sewn, it is still fairly priced. And Ed will give you a signed copy
          of his book with the purchase. I can hang my LED light and medical
          needs form the bug net line, within easy-to-find-in-the-darkness-
          reach. I must say that I also like the elegant simplicity of the
          design.
          Hope this helps.
          Bob.
        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
            Jim-

            I don't have a Speer, but do have several Hennessys. I'm sending you a PM. We might be able to meet in between us for a dayhike or overnight to compare gear. I'm relatively near you (in MA). I don't have a roadworthy bike, but I bet you have good legs for riding or walking.

            Rosaleen

            Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A
            Posted by: "Jim" james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...> marriedmuscle

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
              Jim,

              I've used both those hammocks before. The weight difference isn't
              very much and most of it is in the tarp size so if you go with the
              same size tarps there likely isn't a weight difference of any
              significance. Most people find both those hammocks comfortable but
              there are folks who prefer one type or the other. Some of the
              issues that divide some folks one way or the other are the sewn-in
              bugnet versus removable bugnet, access to gear outside the hammock,
              bottom entry versus side entry, full time integral ridgeline,
              differences in setup procedures, how well it functions as a camp
              chair and flexibility with insulation. The flexibility with
              insulation effects wrap around insulation like a Peapod or other
              large sleeping bags that can encompass the hammock for the most part
              and the bottom side entry being somewhat of an issue with bottom
              side insulation when you exit and enter the hammock to a smaller
              degree.

              Youngblood

              wrote:

              > !! HELP !!
              > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
              > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?
              >
              > I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I
              completed
              > a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.
              >
              > I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.
              >
              > Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost
              >
              > Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection
              >
              > What do y'all think?
              >
              > Pray for Peace ... JIM

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                Hi Jim,

                I also have both types of hammocks. I don't own Ed's model but I do
                have a top entry.

                The only difference I can see is in the HH you are fully enclosed
                all the time and that gives a slightly more tent-like feeling. I
                liked this when I first transitioned from my tent to a tree
                dweller. The bottom entry is also very nice as I didn't have to
                worry about rolling myself out in my deep sleep. :)

                As far as insulation goes, they are different but there are option
                suited for both on the market and from what I have seen they are
                comparable.

                In my opinion the plusses go like this....

                HH - Pros - More tentlike, bug protection is wonderful, bottom entry
                gives me a safe feel, excellent craftsmanship and service from HH,
                several insluation options, easier to keep a sleeping pad in place
                on the inside (this is my personal experience, I'm others might
                disagree)

                Speer type - Pros - slightly lighter than HH, some are cheeper,
                removable bug netting, side entry allows faster entry and exit
                during moonlight restroom breaks, you can make your own, you can use
                a ridgeline or not, works great as a chair, and you can reach things
                on the ground. If you buy from Ed you will also get impeccable
                craftmanship and service.

                Jamie in AZ

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Thanks for your question Jim-glad to see you made it online and joined us!
                  As you can see by the numerous thoughtful responses, this is a wonderful
                  List and a great place to learn about hammock camping. I'd also like to
                  thank everyone who responded to Jim's question. The responses are
                  respective and very informative-but I'd also like to thank everyone for
                  helping maintain the spirit of this List. As long as we continue to openly
                  & respectfully share our personal experiences, our List will remain
                  healthy..Ed

                  Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                  Editor, Hammock Camping News

                  Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Jim-

                    Where was my brain the other day? Hmm! Besides getting our opinions on-line, consider attending a gathering of some sort where you can see hammockers and their gear. There should be some hammock fans (like Ed, maybe) at the ALDHA Gathering in W VA this month. Closer to you, a bunch of us are getting together less formally at Dingmans Campground in the Delaware Water Gap region of PA, and the PA "RUCK" in January.

                    JD and I are getting the ball rolling on the Nov. one, and it is wide open to anyone who wishes to attend. Some of us will show up Thursday, Nov. 9, in order to get some hiking in on Friday, and several will mosey on in over the weekend. I anticipate all of us will be out of there by Sunday Noon or so. I've received some Atsko Sport-Wash samples to pass out. The grain company hasn't responded, so no Hogsdon Mills dishes to share, so far. We may do some pot luck dinners, burgers over gas grilles, whatever. Jeff G. (another list) is donating one of his Magna Screens, and I'll make at least one stove and probably some other pet goodies to donate as "prizes." I doubt we will have the competition involving a length of hose and a funnel, but may go for neatest/lightest rig, greatest distance, whatever. At least we will have some toys to use for drawings. You would have a chance to meet some other hammockers and see at least one Hennessy and at least one Speer set up.

                    If you aren't in a rush to buy, consider some fun field study options...

                    Everyone is welcome. Send me a PM and I'll add you to our E-mail list.

                    Cheers!

                    Rosaleen

                    (PS-You must meet J.D.'s dog, too!)

                    Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A
                    Posted by: "Jim" james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...>> marriedmuscle
                    Date: Tue Oct 3, 2006 4:56 pm (PDT)

                    !! HELP !!
                    I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
                    Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

                    (SNIP)
                    What do y'all think?

                    Pray for Peace ... JIM

                  • Richard Perlman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                      Rosaleen Sullivan wrote:
                      > I've received some Atsko Sport-Wash samples to pass out.

                      I've been using this stuff for a couple of years now, on the
                      recommendation of the guys at Campmor. It's much less expensive
                      than McNett and the other mfrs of wash soap for W/B laminates,
                      fleece, base layers, etc. I use it for all my hiking and
                      skiing clothes.

                      Rich