Re: [Hammock Camping] Crazy Creek straps

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
      that`s good to hear jeff.
      since it may be possible to order the buckles w/o the straps, what are your thoughts on the straps?
      i know you may not be able to say just how they compare w/ other straps of the same size over time, but what`s your impression?
      thanks. ...tim
      Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Several people have expressed an interest in getting the Crazy Creek
      strap/buckle set. All you have to do it click on the "Contact" link
      at the top of their homepage (www.crazycreek.com) and request a
      set. It's $10 by credit card.

      Brian H told me they'll sell the buckles separately as well.
      Getting more info on that right now.

      Jeff

      =====

      Hello Jeff,
      Yes, we sell a pair of straps with the buckles for $10 Plus
      shipping.
      Please send your shipping information, a phone number and a credit
      card number with expiration date and we can send them out to you.
      You may also call this information in to the number below.
      Thank you,
      Annie Fitzgerald
      Crazy Creek Products
      800-331-0304
      afitzgerald@...

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
        I've asked if they have a tested strength for their straps and
        buckles - haven't gotten a reply yet. My gut feel is that the
        buckle won't break - I think it's cast or stamped rather than
        welded. Depending on what kind of webbing is used, it might not
        have enough friction to hold...but again, I'm confident enough that
        it'll work that I'm ordering some buckles unless they reply that the
        tested results are too low.

        The straps work fine in their system. I get some stretch in the
        hang, but I can't tell if it's the hammock or the strap that's
        stretching. I guess I could measure it but it hasn't been enough to
        really matter. I wouldn't want to hang a single strap w/o a good
        answer from Crazy Creek about the strength, though. They may be
        strong enough, but I already have enough webbing from Ed that I'm
        just gonna order the buckles. Besides, they print "Crazy Creek" on
        their straps and I'd rather use Ed's all black webbing.

        I'll post the answer on the strength when I get a reply.

        Jeff
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hey Kieth, a dart is used to allow for expansion. Some pockets on
          cargo pants and shorts have them. Here is a link for a very good
          picture description. http://tinyurl.com/qajyn A rolled hem is an
          outside, or finished, hem in the fabric. Here is a pictorial.
          http://tinyurl.com/g9jcn This one use pins and irons and all that but
          in reality most of us just roll on the fly. When you first start it is
          easier t mark the fabric, but eventually you will learn to feel the
          right length and use the marks on the sewing machine.

          Rat

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
            I've used the CC straps in this way.

            My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with a lark's head.

            I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

            This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.

            If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps separate.

            Bear

          • terry_and_pearl
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
              Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

              http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

              or these:

              http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

              I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
              straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

              I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

              They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
              widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
              to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
              doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
              polyester.

              Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
              buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
              strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

              The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
              for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
              Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
              use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
              lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

              > I've used the CC straps in this way.
              >
              > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
              into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
              a lark's head.

              > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
              the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
              the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

              > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
              >
              > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
              last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
              separate.

              > Bear

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
                <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                > Does anybody have pics of the buckles??

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
                20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Jeff%20Jackson/Initial%20Report/

                There's a pic in the most recent SEHHA folder on this forum.

                Their straps are nylon. She didn't give a breaking strength but
                seemed confident they would hold up (straps and buckles).

                Strap/buckle sets are $10 a set when purchased separately.

                Jeff
              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                  i don't know the answer to the question, but I have ordered cam buckles from Quest Outfitters (google them)...they have a LOT of stuff to make things, plus they have these cam buckles in plastic.

                  terry_and_pearl <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                  Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

                  or these:

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

                  I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                  straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

                  I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                  They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
                  widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
                  to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
                  doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
                  polyester.

                  Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
                  buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
                  strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

                  The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
                  for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
                  Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
                  use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
                  lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

                  > I've used the CC straps in this way.
                  >
                  > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
                  into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
                  a lark's head.

                  > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
                  the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
                  the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                  > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
                  >
                  > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
                  last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
                  separate.

                  > Bear

                  Sandy Kramer

                • RevT
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                    Here are a couple of close up shots of the buckles.

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Brian%20Tannehill/Initial%20Report/

                    or
                    http://tinyurl.com/ke7uo

                    Brian

                    > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                  • bbqporksteak
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 5, 2006
                      <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                      > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble
                      these:

                      > http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm
                      >
                      > or these:
                      >
                      > http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm
                      >
                      > I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                      > straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).
                      >
                      > I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                      terry_and_pearl,
                      Did you, by chance, happen to weigh those buckles? Have you had any
                      slippage or wear to the straps with them?
                      Thanks