Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tarp Tent

    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 3, 2006
      Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote: after reading complaints from HH owners on rain and the original HH tarps, I ordered the HH 10 x 12 tarp... Haven't used it yet, but it's quite bulky. Does anyone take something like this with them?

      I ordered Ray Jardine's Tarp kit - no time to sew yet! - Has anyone made this? and used it over a hammock? (Also ordered his bug tent - don't remember the name?)
      .
      sandy... i`m asuming that your talking about one of the HH hex flys. a friend of mine has the 10 x 12 silnylon hex & i like it (so does he).
      it gives good coverage plus extra room for cooking, gear, etc. and the pockets on the corners for storing the guy lines are real handy.
      i think it weighs about 1 & 1/2 lbs.
      if you ordered the heavyer coated hex & haven`t used it yet, mabey HH would let you send it back to swap for the silnylon (but the silnylon cost more).
      i have a ray way tarp that i`ve for the last year & a half or so. i like it.
      i made it the full width w/ the intention of making a two person tarp t...t...t...nt.......tent WOW... that does seem like a dirty word now!
      i still have the bug net in a bag & i used what would have been the silnylon floor for snake skins.
      anyway, i think it weighs about 1 & 1/2 lbs too. it actualy does great w/ a hammock. the only rub i had w/ it was on occasion, when the trees were a little to close, i had to put the beaks on the ends against the tree in an odd position. no big deal though. the beaks did give extra rain protection on the ends.
      just a thought... if i were making another ray way tarp to use over a hammock, i would be thinking of instaling the beaks the same way ot the ends of the tarp, but not join them in the middle. that would give a lot of flexability in hanging the tarp at differant angles & close to trees.
      as long as the main section of the tarp is long enough to cover the hammock, the main function of the beaks would be to block wind blown rain.
      oh yeah... i realy like the pull-outs on the sides of the ray way. they make the tarp a LOT more roomy. ...tim

      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph