Re: Crazy Creek straps

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
      I'd like to try their buckles, but I'm afraid they wouldn't be strong
      enough for use with a single support strap. Their suspension is
      doubled, so the half with the buckle is only holding ~ 350 lbs.
      Thoughts, Jeff?

      Also (and this is for anybody) - There are two sewing terms I've heard
      mentioned a lot - "dart" and "rolled hem". Can somebody give me a
      fairly clear explanation of these? The hem seems to be a favorite
      technique for a variety of projects, and apparently darts are
      necessary for making quilts....I just can't seem to find anywhere that
      explains either one very well. Thanks, guys!

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
        that`s good to hear jeff.
        since it may be possible to order the buckles w/o the straps, what are your thoughts on the straps?
        i know you may not be able to say just how they compare w/ other straps of the same size over time, but what`s your impression?
        thanks. ...tim
        Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Several people have expressed an interest in getting the Crazy Creek
        strap/buckle set. All you have to do it click on the "Contact" link
        at the top of their homepage (www.crazycreek.com) and request a
        set. It's $10 by credit card.

        Brian H told me they'll sell the buckles separately as well.
        Getting more info on that right now.

        Jeff

        =====

        Hello Jeff,
        Yes, we sell a pair of straps with the buckles for $10 Plus
        shipping.
        Please send your shipping information, a phone number and a credit
        card number with expiration date and we can send them out to you.
        You may also call this information in to the number below.
        Thank you,
        Annie Fitzgerald
        Crazy Creek Products
        800-331-0304
        afitzgerald@...

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
          I've asked if they have a tested strength for their straps and
          buckles - haven't gotten a reply yet. My gut feel is that the
          buckle won't break - I think it's cast or stamped rather than
          welded. Depending on what kind of webbing is used, it might not
          have enough friction to hold...but again, I'm confident enough that
          it'll work that I'm ordering some buckles unless they reply that the
          tested results are too low.

          The straps work fine in their system. I get some stretch in the
          hang, but I can't tell if it's the hammock or the strap that's
          stretching. I guess I could measure it but it hasn't been enough to
          really matter. I wouldn't want to hang a single strap w/o a good
          answer from Crazy Creek about the strength, though. They may be
          strong enough, but I already have enough webbing from Ed that I'm
          just gonna order the buckles. Besides, they print "Crazy Creek" on
          their straps and I'd rather use Ed's all black webbing.

          I'll post the answer on the strength when I get a reply.

          Jeff
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
            Hey Kieth, a dart is used to allow for expansion. Some pockets on
            cargo pants and shorts have them. Here is a link for a very good
            picture description. http://tinyurl.com/qajyn A rolled hem is an
            outside, or finished, hem in the fabric. Here is a pictorial.
            http://tinyurl.com/g9jcn This one use pins and irons and all that but
            in reality most of us just roll on the fly. When you first start it is
            easier t mark the fabric, but eventually you will learn to feel the
            right length and use the marks on the sewing machine.

            Rat

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
              I've used the CC straps in this way.

              My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with a lark's head.

              I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

              This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.

              If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps separate.

              Bear

            • terry_and_pearl
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

                or these:

                http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

                I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

                I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
                widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
                to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
                doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
                polyester.

                Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
                buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
                strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

                The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
                for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
                Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
                use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
                lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

                > I've used the CC straps in this way.
                >
                > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
                into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
                a lark's head.

                > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
                the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
                the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
                >
                > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
                last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
                separate.

                > Bear

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
                  <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                  > Does anybody have pics of the buckles??

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
                  20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Jeff%20Jackson/Initial%20Report/

                  There's a pic in the most recent SEHHA folder on this forum.

                  Their straps are nylon. She didn't give a breaking strength but
                  seemed confident they would hold up (straps and buckles).

                  Strap/buckle sets are $10 a set when purchased separately.

                  Jeff
                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                    i don't know the answer to the question, but I have ordered cam buckles from Quest Outfitters (google them)...they have a LOT of stuff to make things, plus they have these cam buckles in plastic.

                    terry_and_pearl <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                    Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                    http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

                    or these:

                    http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

                    I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                    straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

                    I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                    They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
                    widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
                    to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
                    doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
                    polyester.

                    Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
                    buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
                    strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

                    The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
                    for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
                    Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
                    use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
                    lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

                    > I've used the CC straps in this way.
                    >
                    > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
                    into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
                    a lark's head.

                    > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
                    the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
                    the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                    > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
                    >
                    > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
                    last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
                    separate.

                    > Bear

                    Sandy Kramer

                  • RevT
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                      Here are a couple of close up shots of the buckles.

                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Brian%20Tannehill/Initial%20Report/

                      or
                      http://tinyurl.com/ke7uo

                      Brian

                      > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                    • bbqporksteak
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 5, 2006
                        <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                        > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble
                        these:

                        > http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm
                        >
                        > or these:
                        >
                        > http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm
                        >
                        > I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                        > straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).
                        >
                        > I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                        terry_and_pearl,
                        Did you, by chance, happen to weigh those buckles? Have you had any
                        slippage or wear to the straps with them?
                        Thanks