Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
      !! HELP !!
      I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
      Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

      I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I completed
      a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.

      I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.

      Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost

      Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection

      What do y'all think?

      Pray for Peace ... JIM
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
        wow... that seems like a loaded question<G>
        some people like one & some people like the other. then some people like both!
        i clearly like the speer (top loading) type. for one thing, it seems to work a little better w/ a thicker pad like the exped d.a.m.
        but even more important to me is that i don`t like being closed in w/ bug net unless it`s REALLY needed. since i started using a hammock in spring of 05, i`ve not used a bug net. i also like to be able to reach stuff on the ground.
        but that`s just one persons oppinion. ..tim

        Jim <james.a.thompson@...> wrote: !! HELP !!
        I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
        Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

        I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I completed
        a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.

        I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.

        Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost

        Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection

        What do y'all think?

        Pray for Peace ... JIM

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
          I have only used it for weekend R&R along our community lake (had hip replaced earlier this year), but my el cheapo Byer's of Maine hammock has some features that I really like: top entry, bug screen with ridge line and zipper along the side (easy to reach for stuff outside), can be flipped over to use sans net, "almost queen size," stuffs into own gear pocket... oh, and did I mention it was cheap?

          Does not come with tarp, which is why I ordered the HH tarp that cost me about $60!! And I am concerned about the bulk and weight of that tarp!

          http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

          Has anyone camped with the Byer's? Comments?

          I bought their toggle rope set from Campmor - C & C Outdoors has another style.

          tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
[...]

        • bbqporksteak
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <james.a.thompson@...>
            wrote:

            > !! HELP !!
            > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
            > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

            Personally,
            I am quite fond of the Speer. I must admit, though, that I have not
            used the Hennessey, but I did spend time sweating over this same
            issue before buying. With the Speer I like top entry, the removable
            bug net, the bigger tarp, the tarp being separate from the hammock
            (it doesn't sag when you get into the hammock), no need to peg the
            sides to the ground, very easy to set up, very comfortable, and if
            you aren't afraid to try sewing, very cheap. It was my very first
            sewing project, and I breezed right through it. If you buy it pre-
            sewn, it is still fairly priced. And Ed will give you a signed copy
            of his book with the purchase. I can hang my LED light and medical
            needs form the bug net line, within easy-to-find-in-the-darkness-
            reach. I must say that I also like the elegant simplicity of the
            design.
            Hope this helps.
            Bob.
          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
              Jim-

              I don't have a Speer, but do have several Hennessys. I'm sending you a PM. We might be able to meet in between us for a dayhike or overnight to compare gear. I'm relatively near you (in MA). I don't have a roadworthy bike, but I bet you have good legs for riding or walking.

              Rosaleen

              Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A
              Posted by: "Jim" james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...> marriedmuscle

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                Jim,

                I've used both those hammocks before. The weight difference isn't
                very much and most of it is in the tarp size so if you go with the
                same size tarps there likely isn't a weight difference of any
                significance. Most people find both those hammocks comfortable but
                there are folks who prefer one type or the other. Some of the
                issues that divide some folks one way or the other are the sewn-in
                bugnet versus removable bugnet, access to gear outside the hammock,
                bottom entry versus side entry, full time integral ridgeline,
                differences in setup procedures, how well it functions as a camp
                chair and flexibility with insulation. The flexibility with
                insulation effects wrap around insulation like a Peapod or other
                large sleeping bags that can encompass the hammock for the most part
                and the bottom side entry being somewhat of an issue with bottom
                side insulation when you exit and enter the hammock to a smaller
                degree.

                Youngblood

                wrote:

                > !! HELP !!
                > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
                > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?
                >
                > I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I
                completed
                > a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.
                >
                > I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.
                >
                > Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost
                >
                > Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection
                >
                > What do y'all think?
                >
                > Pray for Peace ... JIM

              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Hi Jim,

                  I also have both types of hammocks. I don't own Ed's model but I do
                  have a top entry.

                  The only difference I can see is in the HH you are fully enclosed
                  all the time and that gives a slightly more tent-like feeling. I
                  liked this when I first transitioned from my tent to a tree
                  dweller. The bottom entry is also very nice as I didn't have to
                  worry about rolling myself out in my deep sleep. :)

                  As far as insulation goes, they are different but there are option
                  suited for both on the market and from what I have seen they are
                  comparable.

                  In my opinion the plusses go like this....

                  HH - Pros - More tentlike, bug protection is wonderful, bottom entry
                  gives me a safe feel, excellent craftsmanship and service from HH,
                  several insluation options, easier to keep a sleeping pad in place
                  on the inside (this is my personal experience, I'm others might
                  disagree)

                  Speer type - Pros - slightly lighter than HH, some are cheeper,
                  removable bug netting, side entry allows faster entry and exit
                  during moonlight restroom breaks, you can make your own, you can use
                  a ridgeline or not, works great as a chair, and you can reach things
                  on the ground. If you buy from Ed you will also get impeccable
                  craftmanship and service.

                  Jamie in AZ

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Thanks for your question Jim-glad to see you made it online and joined us!
                    As you can see by the numerous thoughtful responses, this is a wonderful
                    List and a great place to learn about hammock camping. I'd also like to
                    thank everyone who responded to Jim's question. The responses are
                    respective and very informative-but I'd also like to thank everyone for
                    helping maintain the spirit of this List. As long as we continue to openly
                    & respectfully share our personal experiences, our List will remain
                    healthy..Ed

                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                    Editor, Hammock Camping News

                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                      Jim-

                      Where was my brain the other day? Hmm! Besides getting our opinions on-line, consider attending a gathering of some sort where you can see hammockers and their gear. There should be some hammock fans (like Ed, maybe) at the ALDHA Gathering in W VA this month. Closer to you, a bunch of us are getting together less formally at Dingmans Campground in the Delaware Water Gap region of PA, and the PA "RUCK" in January.

                      JD and I are getting the ball rolling on the Nov. one, and it is wide open to anyone who wishes to attend. Some of us will show up Thursday, Nov. 9, in order to get some hiking in on Friday, and several will mosey on in over the weekend. I anticipate all of us will be out of there by Sunday Noon or so. I've received some Atsko Sport-Wash samples to pass out. The grain company hasn't responded, so no Hogsdon Mills dishes to share, so far. We may do some pot luck dinners, burgers over gas grilles, whatever. Jeff G. (another list) is donating one of his Magna Screens, and I'll make at least one stove and probably some other pet goodies to donate as "prizes." I doubt we will have the competition involving a length of hose and a funnel, but may go for neatest/lightest rig, greatest distance, whatever. At least we will have some toys to use for drawings. You would have a chance to meet some other hammockers and see at least one Hennessy and at least one Speer set up.

                      If you aren't in a rush to buy, consider some fun field study options...

                      Everyone is welcome. Send me a PM and I'll add you to our E-mail list.

                      Cheers!

                      Rosaleen

                      (PS-You must meet J.D.'s dog, too!)

                      Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A
                      Posted by: "Jim" james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...<mailto:james.a.thompson@...>> marriedmuscle
                      Date: Tue Oct 3, 2006 4:56 pm (PDT)

                      !! HELP !!
                      I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
                      Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?

                      (SNIP)
                      What do y'all think?

                      Pray for Peace ... JIM

                    • Richard Perlman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
                        Rosaleen Sullivan wrote:
                        > I've received some Atsko Sport-Wash samples to pass out.

                        I've been using this stuff for a couple of years now, on the
                        recommendation of the guys at Campmor. It's much less expensive
                        than McNett and the other mfrs of wash soap for W/B laminates,
                        fleece, base layers, etc. I use it for all my hiking and
                        skiing clothes.

                        Rich