Crazy Creek straps

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
      Several people have expressed an interest in getting the Crazy Creek
      strap/buckle set. All you have to do it click on the "Contact" link
      at the top of their homepage (www.crazycreek.com) and request a
      set. It's $10 by credit card.

      Brian H told me they'll sell the buckles separately as well.
      Getting more info on that right now.

      Jeff

      =====

      Hello Jeff,
      Yes, we sell a pair of straps with the buckles for $10 Plus
      shipping.
      Please send your shipping information, a phone number and a credit
      card number with expiration date and we can send them out to you.
      You may also call this information in to the number below.
      Thank you,
      Annie Fitzgerald
      Crazy Creek Products
      800-331-0304
      afitzgerald@...
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
        I'd like to try their buckles, but I'm afraid they wouldn't be strong
        enough for use with a single support strap. Their suspension is
        doubled, so the half with the buckle is only holding ~ 350 lbs.
        Thoughts, Jeff?

        Also (and this is for anybody) - There are two sewing terms I've heard
        mentioned a lot - "dart" and "rolled hem". Can somebody give me a
        fairly clear explanation of these? The hem seems to be a favorite
        technique for a variety of projects, and apparently darts are
        necessary for making quilts....I just can't seem to find anywhere that
        explains either one very well. Thanks, guys!

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
          that`s good to hear jeff.
          since it may be possible to order the buckles w/o the straps, what are your thoughts on the straps?
          i know you may not be able to say just how they compare w/ other straps of the same size over time, but what`s your impression?
          thanks. ...tim
          Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Several people have expressed an interest in getting the Crazy Creek

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
            I've asked if they have a tested strength for their straps and
            buckles - haven't gotten a reply yet. My gut feel is that the
            buckle won't break - I think it's cast or stamped rather than
            welded. Depending on what kind of webbing is used, it might not
            have enough friction to hold...but again, I'm confident enough that
            it'll work that I'm ordering some buckles unless they reply that the
            tested results are too low.

            The straps work fine in their system. I get some stretch in the
            hang, but I can't tell if it's the hammock or the strap that's
            stretching. I guess I could measure it but it hasn't been enough to
            really matter. I wouldn't want to hang a single strap w/o a good
            answer from Crazy Creek about the strength, though. They may be
            strong enough, but I already have enough webbing from Ed that I'm
            just gonna order the buckles. Besides, they print "Crazy Creek" on
            their straps and I'd rather use Ed's all black webbing.

            I'll post the answer on the strength when I get a reply.

            Jeff
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
              Hey Kieth, a dart is used to allow for expansion. Some pockets on
              cargo pants and shorts have them. Here is a link for a very good
              picture description. http://tinyurl.com/qajyn A rolled hem is an
              outside, or finished, hem in the fabric. Here is a pictorial.
              http://tinyurl.com/g9jcn This one use pins and irons and all that but
              in reality most of us just roll on the fly. When you first start it is
              easier t mark the fabric, but eventually you will learn to feel the
              right length and use the marks on the sewing machine.

              Rat

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                I've used the CC straps in this way.

                My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with a lark's head.

                I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.

                If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps separate.

                Bear

              • terry_and_pearl
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

                  or these:

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

                  I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                  straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

                  I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                  They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
                  widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
                  to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
                  doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
                  polyester.

                  Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
                  buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
                  strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

                  The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
                  for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
                  Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
                  use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
                  lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

                  > I've used the CC straps in this way.
                  >
                  > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
                  into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
                  a lark's head.

                  > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
                  the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
                  the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                  > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
                  >
                  > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
                  last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
                  separate.

                  > Bear

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
                    <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                    > Does anybody have pics of the buckles??

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
                    20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Jeff%20Jackson/Initial%20Report/

                    There's a pic in the most recent SEHHA folder on this forum.

                    Their straps are nylon. She didn't give a breaking strength but
                    seemed confident they would hold up (straps and buckles).

                    Strap/buckle sets are $10 a set when purchased separately.

                    Jeff
                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                      i don't know the answer to the question, but I have ordered cam buckles from Quest Outfitters (google them)...they have a LOT of stuff to make things, plus they have these cam buckles in plastic.

                      terry_and_pearl <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                      Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                      http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm

                      or these:

                      http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm

                      I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                      straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).

                      I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                      They sell nylon, polyester and polypropylene straps also in various
                      widths. I purchased their 1" polypropylene strapping also - they refer
                      to it as webbing. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water like nylon and so
                      doesn't stretch like nylon. Also, it is more abrasion resistant than
                      polyester.

                      Their cam buckles are rated at 800 lbs. Their Stainless Steel cam
                      buckles are rated at 750 lbs. (I have no financial interest in
                      strapworks, but I got very good service from them).

                      The polypropylene webbing I received is heavy duty and I am using it
                      for wrapping the tree in the hammock suspension. I use the Hennesy
                      Hammock and their tree huggers were just too short and I would rather
                      use the cam buckles I purchased rather than fuss with knots or
                      lashings, especially when my fingers are wet and cold.

                      > I've used the CC straps in this way.
                      >
                      > My hammock has casings at either end, a two-foot length of cord tied
                      into a loop, and a 1-1/2 inch diameter ring attached to the cord with
                      a lark's head.

                      > I attach the CC strap to the tree with a lark's head, positioned so
                      the buckle lands about a foot away from the trunk. The standing run of
                      the strap goes through the hammock ring then back through the CC buckle.

                      > This works great except for the ugly printing on the strap.
                      >
                      > If anybody finds a source for these buckles, please let me know. The
                      last time I talked to CC, they wouldn't sell the buckles or straps
                      separate.

                      > Bear

                      Sandy Kramer

                    • RevT
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
                        Here are a couple of close up shots of the buckles.

                        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20Lightweight/Brian%20Tannehill/Initial%20Report/

                        or
                        http://tinyurl.com/ke7uo

                        Brian

                        > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble these:

                      • bbqporksteak
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 5, 2006
                          <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

                          > Does anybody have pics of the buckles?? Do their buckles resemble
                          these:

                          > http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcb1.htm
                          >
                          > or these:
                          >
                          > http://www.strapworks.com/Stainless_Steel_Cam_Buckle_p/sscb1.htm
                          >
                          > I looked on the Crazy Creek website but no pics of the buckles (or
                          > straps) that I could find - some of the hammocks, but no detail).
                          >
                          > I purchased the above cam buckles from the site addressed above.

                          terry_and_pearl,
                          Did you, by chance, happen to weigh those buckles? Have you had any
                          slippage or wear to the straps with them?
                          Thanks