Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tarp Tent

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 3, 2006
      This summer, I bought a HH Hyperlight without the fly and tree huggers.
      I used the 8' x 10' fly from my Speer 8.0A and was most satisfied with the
      results. The weight is acceptable and the excellent workmanship lets me rig it
      tight-as-a-drum without feeling like a tie-out will fail.

      I really like the full A-frame protection in rain and cold wind. It's also
      nice to have a larger dry area underneath, compared to a HH asym fly. Not
      that I "need" the extra area, as I hang everything (except Crocs and a sit/stand pad)
      from an auxiliary clothes/ridge line between the fly and hammock.

      For what it's worth, I've had no problems with the stock set up on a HH
      Explorer UL Asym in heavy blowing rain. I simply hung the fly attached
      directly to the trees (lower than the tree huggers) and staked the corners
      down, tight to the hammock. To tell you the truth, I wasn't too optimistic.
      It was a Scout car camping trip and I had spare "everything", just in case
      I got soaked.

      terry_and_pearl wrote:
      > I am thinking of going then to a simple 10' x 10' silnylon tarp. The
      > fly/tarp supplied standard with the HH BPA is 11' 7" along the
      > diagonal which is more than enough for the length of the hammock, 9'
      > 7".
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph