Re: cold weather set up

  • Nathan Denn
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
      I currently away from home for a few days and will post some pics as soon as I get back. My hammock is still set up in the back yard minus the sleeping bag! As for adjustment on the bag, it has two places to cinch it up inside. One is around the shoulder and the other is around the midsection. When around the hammock these cinches are above my head and at my shoulder respectively. This really brings it in close to the hammock. Unfortunately when I had the zipper installed in the footbox, I didnt have a double zipper installed. I thought of this much too late.

      Right now I zip it closed as much as possible. The bag is a litttle lop sided but doesnt seem to be a problem. I think I have a way to keep the zipper closed. I will try it out sometime when I get home.

      I emailed the guy from kick ass quilts to see if he could sew me a weather shield similiar to his quilts. I am sure he is uber busy and I havent heard back yet. If not, I think I will try to sew one myself. I few months back I rigged a tarp underneath the hammock taco style and seemed to work well. It is just heavy.

      Pics say a thousand words and this will be true once I get them posted.

      -Nate

      Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
      -John Muir

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
        Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.

        I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the low 20*s
        and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad has a R7
        rating.

        The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear, Possum down
        socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a quilt on
        top and slept directly on the TR pad.

        This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer hammock with
        PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm totally sold on
        under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.

        My sleeping kit:
        Speer 8.0A hammock
        Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
        Speer PeaPod
        Speer TopBlanket
        HH Explorer UL Asym
        HH Hyperlight
        JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
        TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
        Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
        Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
        Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants

        I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder temps.

        This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
        the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
        my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.

        Rich
      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Richard Perlman <richard@...>
          wrote:

          > Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.
          >
          > I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the
          low 20*s
          > and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad
          has a R7
          > rating.
          >
          > The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear,
          Possum down
          > socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a
          quilt on
          > top and slept directly on the TR pad.
          >
          > This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer
          hammock with
          > PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm
          totally sold on
          > under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.
          >
          > My sleeping kit:
          > Speer 8.0A hammock
          > Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
          > Speer PeaPod
          > Speer TopBlanket
          > HH Explorer UL Asym
          > HH Hyperlight
          > JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
          > TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
          > Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
          > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
          > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants
          >
          > I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder
          temps.

          > This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
          > the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
          > my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.
          >
          > Rich

          Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
          great for me too! All my trips these days are in western Montana
          so, even May thru October, I have to be ready for hard freezes and
          nasty weather. I therefore carry insulated clothing all the time
          and using it for a sleep system gives me double-usage. I use
          Integral Designs' Dolomitti jacket w/hood and Denali pants (since
          replaced by BMW's Cocoon pants). If it's in the middle of summer
          and hard freezes don't look like a realistic possibility I'll leave
          the pants at home. The rest is the typical collection of balaclava,
          fresh wool socks and booties, long underware and fleece mittens. I
          use the 7oz Oware pad and usually clip a light fleece throw to it
          for a total of 21oz for that under insulation. To date, I've only
          used a sleeping bag as a quilt once, all other times I didn't use,
          or need, a top cover/bag. I have added a quilt to extend my range
          but haven't used it in cold weather hammocking yet.

          All this has kept me comfortable to the high-20s which I expected it
          to do. The unanticipated benefit was the late-night Nature
          calls...already dressed including booties, I just drop out of the
          Hennessy, walk to a good tree :) and return. No struggling with
          putting on clothes in the cold, no cold sleeping bag to return to,
          etc. No early morning dressing in the cold, either. I just
          wait 'til temps are 'more comfortable.'

          john
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jmgarberson@...> wrote:
            > Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
            > great for me too!

            I've always done this, even before converting to hammocks. I've
            always thought it odd that people don't pay more attention to it. The
            colder it gets the greater the proportion of insulation that must be
            shifted to protective clothing. What's the point of having a
            bombproof cold-weather hammock setup if you freeze yourself numb
            fixing breakfast and packing up?

            Doug Frost
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
              i agree. makes sense to me that the clothing that keeps me warm when i`m up, is part of my sleep system. & like you said, makes getting up less of a shock. ....tim