RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tarp Tent

    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 3, 2006
      Dave, Tim

      Candles can add significant warmth under a tarp, but I have no actual
      numbers. Of course wind & safety concerns can greatly reduce the effect.
      Cavers in the US have developed & used a
      candle-in-an-open-ended-tube-tent-hammock setup-but the no wind conditions
      in a cave are drastically different than outdoors where wind currents are
      often a major problem, especially in the mountains were we all like to camp.
      Cavers on multiple night expeditions underground sometimes use candles for
      warmth instead of carrying bulky sleeping gear. Of course, CO2 buildup &
      burn concerns are potential life-threatening problems to overcome. The
      candle lantern or the conversion to an oil lantern may be suitable in some
      outdoor situations. This is an idea I've considered, but have no experience
      using. I have a brass miner's oil lantern that burns even in strong winds,
      but it weighs nearly 3 lbs without the fuel! Has anyone tried a candle or
      oil lantern?-let us know how it worked. Maybe this winter I'll do some
      testing...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph