[Hammock Camping] Re: Tarp Tent

    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 2, 2006
      If you have a small enclosed area, like a tent, you can light a
      candle and warm your hands in particular and the rest of the area a
      little as well. Works great for a few minutes on chilling mornings
      to warm up, if you can do it safely... the safely part is where the
      cookpot comes into play. With the hammock tarptent I was thinking
      you would set it on the ground beside you and also need the high
      walls of the cookpot to keep any ground level breeze from blowing
      out the candle. I have used that before on cold mornings in a tent
      and Ed has mentioned that cavers(?) sometimes do that for warmth as
      well for most of the night.

      > i hate to be the one to ask, but i`m going to any way...
      what`s "the old candle in your cook pot routine"? ...tim

      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph