splash-up

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
      in the hot springs camp ground i got a lot of sand (& water) splashed
      over onto my backpack & other stuff, & even some on the bottom of the
      hammock.
      this hasnt been much of a problem before but a couple things were
      differant in my set-up at hot springs.
      for one, i`ve usualy got grass or other plant life, or pine
      needles, or leaves around my hammock to absorb the heavy run-off from
      my tarp when it rains that hard. but just sand at hot springs.
      another thing that was differant was the new tarp. i had already
      realized that i needed longer lines on the corners, especialy if i`m
      going to hang it that high. the shorter lines forced me to have the
      sides come down more steeply & nearer to the hammock than ever before.
      so that heavy run-off was landing a lot closer to my stuff than normal.
      any way, my tarp`s 8' wide so i can fix that proplem w/ a wider
      spread so the run-off is landing farther away from my hammock if i`m
      going to set-up over sand or dirt. but i can`t help but wonder if
      some of yall w/ those really narrow tarps (5 or 6')ever have problems
      w/ that?
      besides, that mite not be a bad thing to give some thought to ahead
      of time, especialy those that are newer to using a tarp & hammock.
      ...tim
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006
        I was pitched fairly close to the ground and had a mixture of sand and
        loam under me. I had no problems with "splash up".

        Rick