Re: Tarp Tent

  • terry_and_pearl
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 2, 2006
      To both Youngblood and Rat - I thank both of you for your thoughtful
      and interesting input. I hadn't really thought about the setup and
      takedown time. As you say, it can be complicated.

      I have usually tried to follow the KISS principle (Keep It simple
      Stupid). The times that I don't, it usually turns out bad.

      I use the HH Backpacking A-sym which has the side tie-outs for the
      hammock. I looked at the inside pics of Youngboold's tarp when setup
      in tent mode. No room for the hammock side tie-outs. I have a few of
      the Micro Grip Clips and was going to use them for the middle tie outs
      (and forego the permenently positioned side middle tie outs), then I
      could haved tied the hammock side tie outs to one side of a Grip Clip
      and then the other side of the Grip Clips just tie out as normal.
      Also, the Grip Clips would let me vary the position of the middle tie
      out points to the appropriate position for the terrain.

      Again, setup gets complicated.

      Note: the following is off the top off my head - thinking as I type.

      I am thinking of going then to a simple 10' x 10' silnylon tarp. The
      fly/tarp supplied standard with the HH BPA is 11' 7" along the
      diagonal which is more than enough for the length of the hammock, 9'
      7". However, getting the side tie outs positioned properly to protect
      the side of the hammock is not easy and takes (at least for me) some
      re-positioning and tightening and loosening of the tie outs and even
      then the sides on the long side cuts are somewhat exposed. I had
      considered the MacCat, but in reviewing the material on one web site,
      it turns out that the MacCat doesn't really supply any more protection
      for the hammock sides at the end than the stock fly/tarp or a simple
      8' x 8' square tarp rigged on the diagonal.

      With the 10' x 10' tarp I can rig it A-Frame style and get maximum
      hammock end protection or rig it diagonally and get maximum side
      protection. An 8' x 8' tarp rigged diagonally would give me the same
      diagonal as the stock Hennesy fly/tarp, but would be about 1' 7" too
      short for the hammock when rigged as an A-Frame. 10' x 10' would give
      me over 14' of diagonal. I will probably cut the sides on a catenary
      to prevent flapping. With all 4 sides cut on the catenary, I can rig
      either diagonally or A-Frame. Also, with 10' x 10' and cut on a
      catenary, I can get the weight down to about 14 oz. (assuming 1.3 oz
      silnylon ripstop) or slightly over 12 oz using 1.1 oz ripstop.

      I will probably leave the tie out straps off and just use the Micro
      Grip Clips, that makes the sewing easier - hem the edges and fell seam
      the middle seam and seam seal it. If you haven't used the Micro Grip
      Clips for silnylon, I highly recommend them (I have no financial
      interest in them whatsoever).

      hmm ... 10' x 10', 6 2/3 yards, need to purchase 7 yards, less than
      $42 for the material. Tempting. Now if I had a lot of money, I could
      get 7 yards of Cuban for $168 and the tarp would weigh slightly over 3
      oz. Only it would be rectangular, 10' x 8' 4". Is Cuban waterproof??
      That's a day dream!

      For a 10' length, what would you recommend for the depth of the
      catenary? I'm thinking maybe 3".

> [...]
      > and guylines with thick warm gloves on and after a certain amount of
      > time you have to stop and rewarm your hands before continuing.
      >
      > It is kind of tantalizing because it is very nice to have a warmish
      > protected area when it is freezing cold and breezy to sleep in,
      > change clothes in and cook. I think you could use the old candle in
      > your cook pot routine to warm things up in the morning as well...
      > but there are these dang tradeoffs.
      >
      > Youngblood
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, I built the Youngblood tarp-tent. Jsut like his, and it works
      > > just the way you think it would from the pictures. I also built
      > what I
      > > thought would be an improvement on it. A totally enclosed design I
      > > lovingly dubbed "The Tunnel of Hate", you can proly guess how that
      > one
      > > turned out. I also prototyped a convertable tarp system for total
      > > weather protection called "Uber-tarp". All of these were built
      > with
      > > 1.1 or 1.9 oz material, they were prototypes after all, and each
      > has
      > > been scrapped.
      > >
      > > My main reason for scraping all of these is very simple. They were
      > TOO
      > > COMPLICATED! 1) They all needed pretty much identical set up
      > points
      > > each time. And it's just not realistic to expect to find
      > the "perfect
      > > spot" evey time. 2) The Uber-tarp had 22 tie out points, that's
      > alot
      > > of cord to keep up with, not to mention stakes. 3) The complexity
      > of
      > > the tarp-tent wasn't that bad, but it was more than the benefits.
      > The
      > > Uber-tarp was just way too complicated. Entry and Exit required
      > about
      > > a minute each. 4) Weight 5) Set up time was crazy long.
      > >
      > > One of the main benefits to me with a tarp and hammock system is
      > the
      > > relative ease of operation. Set-up, entry, exit and breaking are
      > EASY,
      > > I was making it much too complicated.
      > >
      > > I finally settled on a 10 x 10 tarp and a weather sock (like
      > Jeff's
      > > and Risks Travel Pod). I have never gotten wet with just the tarp,
      > but
      > > I use the sock to cut the wind in extreme cold. This system is
      > > extremely flexible, simple and light.
      > >
      > > Rat
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On that note would Youngblood be willing to sell a few of these
      > > > interested tree hangers. I have tried a simular set up to this
      > and
      > > > it worked great. I don't have any sewing skills however and
      > this
      > > > type of thing is not on the market to my knowledge.

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph