Re: too cold / too hot

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      Thanks, that is good information. Was there any noticable
      difference in the wind or the humidity on the two nights and where
      were you cold at on the first night- all over, underside only,
      topside only, etc? A few other factors that might be of interest is
      the type of hammock, tarp size/shape and whether you used bugnetting.

      You might be interested in the info I put together last year, if you
      were using a regular RidgeRest it is basically a 5/8" closed cell
      pad when comparing what I projected in article 2, "A Look at
      Insulation and How Much Is Enough Sleeping in Hammocks". My numbers
      are based on personal measurements/experiences, guesswork and
      projections based on R-values... I obviously didn't test every
      combination I listed and even if I did a lot of it is subjective.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jkneilson" <jkneilson@...>
      wrote:

      > Data point for those interested:
      >
      > Just returned from Emigrant Wilderness in CA where temps dropped
      to 27
      > degrees. With a full-length RidgeRest, 15-degree rated down bag, a
      down
      > jacket, fleece top, wool base layer, and two fleece pants, I FROZE.
      >
      > Next night saw warmer temperatures, low was 35 degrees. I had to
      shed a
      > layer of fleece and lose the down jacket because I was COOKING.
      >
      > Cheers,

    • jkneilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        Wind was roughly the same. Humidity was a bit higher on the second,
        warmer night - it even briefly rained. I was cold all over with the
        exception of where my RidgeRest was, though my flanks were probably
        the coldest.