too cold / too hot

  • jkneilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      Data point for those interested:

      Just returned from Emigrant Wilderness in CA where temps dropped to 27
      degrees. With a full-length RidgeRest, 15-degree rated down bag, a down
      jacket, fleece top, wool base layer, and two fleece pants, I FROZE.

      Next night saw warmer temperatures, low was 35 degrees. I had to shed a
      layer of fleece and lose the down jacket because I was COOKING.

      Cheers,
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        Thanks, that is good information. Was there any noticable
        difference in the wind or the humidity on the two nights and where
        were you cold at on the first night- all over, underside only,
        topside only, etc? A few other factors that might be of interest is
        the type of hammock, tarp size/shape and whether you used bugnetting.

        You might be interested in the info I put together last year, if you
        were using a regular RidgeRest it is basically a 5/8" closed cell
        pad when comparing what I projected in article 2, "A Look at
        Insulation and How Much Is Enough Sleeping in Hammocks". My numbers
        are based on personal measurements/experiences, guesswork and
        projections based on R-values... I obviously didn't test every
        combination I listed and even if I did a lot of it is subjective.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jkneilson" <jkneilson@...>
        wrote:

        > Data point for those interested:
        >
        > Just returned from Emigrant Wilderness in CA where temps dropped
        to 27
        > degrees. With a full-length RidgeRest, 15-degree rated down bag, a
        down
        > jacket, fleece top, wool base layer, and two fleece pants, I FROZE.
        >
        > Next night saw warmer temperatures, low was 35 degrees. I had to
        shed a
        > layer of fleece and lose the down jacket because I was COOKING.
        >
        > Cheers,

      • jkneilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          Wind was roughly the same. Humidity was a bit higher on the second,
          warmer night - it even briefly rained. I was cold all over with the
          exception of where my RidgeRest was, though my flanks were probably
          the coldest.