Re: Tarp Tent

    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 2, 2006
      Rat is right, the tarp tent that I have is not only complicated to
      make it is complicated to use. The way I've used mine I can justify
      it's weight and bulk for the benefits it provides in cold conditions
      but the setup and take down time is problematic as well as sloping
      ground. It is not so bad in nice weather but that is not when I
      want to use it as even in a high hung A-frame pitch it blocks more
      view than I prefer. In nice weather it might double or even triple
      the time it takes to mess with setting it up as a hammock tarptent
      versus a decent size tarp; in bad weather that is significant and it
      can get worse because in bad weather you don't operate as
      efficiently and often have more trouble doing simple task correctly
      the first time. Even take down time can be miserable when it is
      cold and everything is wet because you can't really handle the tarp
      and guylines with thick warm gloves on and after a certain amount of
      time you have to stop and rewarm your hands before continuing.

      It is kind of tantalizing because it is very nice to have a warmish
      protected area when it is freezing cold and breezy to sleep in,
      change clothes in and cook. I think you could use the old candle in
      your cook pot routine to warm things up in the morning as well...
      but there are these dang tradeoffs.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I built the Youngblood tarp-tent. Jsut like his, and it works
      > just the way you think it would from the pictures. I also built
      what I
      > thought would be an improvement on it. A totally enclosed design I
      > lovingly dubbed "The Tunnel of Hate", you can proly guess how that
      one
      > turned out. I also prototyped a convertable tarp system for total
      > weather protection called "Uber-tarp". All of these were built
      with
      > 1.1 or 1.9 oz material, they were prototypes after all, and each
      has
      > been scrapped.
      >
      > My main reason for scraping all of these is very simple. They were
      TOO
      > COMPLICATED! 1) They all needed pretty much identical set up
      points
      > each time. And it's just not realistic to expect to find
      the "perfect
      > spot" evey time. 2) The Uber-tarp had 22 tie out points, that's
      alot
      > of cord to keep up with, not to mention stakes. 3) The complexity
      of
      > the tarp-tent wasn't that bad, but it was more than the benefits.
      The
      > Uber-tarp was just way too complicated. Entry and Exit required
      about
      > a minute each. 4) Weight 5) Set up time was crazy long.
      >
      > One of the main benefits to me with a tarp and hammock system is
      the
      > relative ease of operation. Set-up, entry, exit and breaking are
      EASY,
      > I was making it much too complicated.
      >
      > I finally settled on a 10 x 10 tarp and a weather sock (like
      Jeff's
      > and Risks Travel Pod). I have never gotten wet with just the tarp,
      but
      > I use the sock to cut the wind in extreme cold. This system is
      > extremely flexible, simple and light.
      >
      > Rat
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On that note would Youngblood be willing to sell a few of these
      > > interested tree hangers. I have tried a simular set up to this
      and
      > > it worked great. I don't have any sewing skills however and
      this
      > > type of thing is not on the market to my knowledge.
      > >
      > > How about it sir????
      > >
      > > jamie in az

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph