Tarp Tent

  • terry_and_pearl
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 30, 2006
      Has anybody tried duplicating the tarp tent that Youngblood has in his
      photo section? Labeled Catenary Tarps/130 x 120 inch tarp.

      I think it is actually 130 x 126.

      If anybody else has made a duplicate or close to it, have you used it
      in the field?

      How does it actually work?

      Using 1.1 oz silnylon, I calculate the weight to be about 27+ oz. If
      you have made one, what is your actual weight?

      It is intriguing and I am sorely tempted to try duplicating. Lots of
      room under the tarp, plenty of configurations and I like the idea of
      really closing it up in nasty conditions (that is if it works as well
      as it looks).

      The weight is a concern, but then a tent that is under 2 lbs with that
      size is pretty good.

      It appears there are 3 catenary cuts along each bottom and 2 on each
      end. Does anybody have anymore information?
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2006

        > ralph... they`ll have to be the ones from farther south... or alaska, or
        > somewhere.
        > the skeeters in n.c. aren`t big enough. ...tim
        > PS... how big do they get in idaho?

        Two of them together have been known to pick up small children....

        takes about a dozen working together for a steer. :]

        Ralph