Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net

    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2003
      I mentioned this in a previous post. I now have a little more
      information.

      It works well to keep all bugs out.

      It stops a little more breeze than the noseeum, but both seem to stop
      the majority of breeze coming into the hammock.

      Significant problem with the chiffon is that in a saturated
      atmosphere (in a cloud, up on a mountain) the chiffon can become
      saturated with moisture and feel quite wet. This does not seem to be
      true of noseeum.

      chiffon seems a little lighter than noseeum.

      So, advantage of weight, but disadvantage of getting wet... For
      those who might care to try the stuff out.

      Rick
    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2003
        Rick-

        Cool!  Pardon me for "profiling."  I don't expect most men to know much about fabrics.  Guys in auto parts stores didn't usually expect me to have a clue about which part I'd need.  We can all feel the pinch, I guess.

        Keep us posted as to whether or not you want to switch to no-see-um in the dog days of summer.  There have been nights I was tempted to take out window screens because they impede airflow.

        Try "cutting" the chiffon with a quick pass with a hot soldering iron.  Hold the edge with a metal rule, or one that you don't mind damage to the edge.

        From: "Rick" <geoflyfisher@...>
        Subject: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net

        The stuff is very sheer.  It was labeled chiffon in WalMart - made of
        polyester.  Very lightweight, much lighter in feel than noseeum.  It
        seems very strong!  I have used it for more than a week of camping
        and had no problem with snags, tearing, or other problems.  Only
        problem I had was that it needs to have its edge seared, unlike
        noseeum which does not need this treatment.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        >Rick-
        >
        >Do you really mean "chiffon," or could you be talking about a fine
        nylon net

        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2003
          Rosaleen,

          No appology needed... I just wish I could get more of the XY members
          of this group interested in the little bit of sewing necessary to do
          hammock experiments.

          I am going to switch to noseeum for now anyway... I really did not
          like that wet feeling early in the AM from absorbed moisture.

          I have tried cutting nylon and other fraying fabrics several ways. I
          keep coming back to a method I learned while making skin on frame
          kayaks... A cheap wood handled steak knife (or cheese knife) heated
          about a half inch from the pointly end to dull red with a propane
          torch.

          I have found that almost all "plastic" fabrics need to be cut this
          way (nylons, polyester) with the major exceptions being silnylon and
          noseeum net.

          Have fun sewing.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
          > Rick-
          >
          > Cool! Pardon me for "profiling." I don't expect most men to know
          much about
          > fabrics. Guys in auto parts stores didn't usually expect me to
          have a clue
          > about which part I'd need. We can all feel the pinch, I guess.
          >
          > Keep us posted as to whether or not you want to switch to no-see-um
          in the
          > dog days of summer. There have been nights I was tempted to take
          out window
          > screens because they impede airflow.
          >
          > Try "cutting" the chiffon with a quick pass with a hot soldering
          iron. Hold
          > the edge with a metal rule, or one that you don't mind damage to
          the edge.

          > > From: "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
          > > Subject: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net
          > >
          > > The stuff is very sheer. It was labeled chiffon in WalMart -
          made of
          > > polyester. Very lightweight, much lighter in feel than noseeum.
          It
          > > seems very strong! I have used it for more than a week of
          camping
          > > and had no problem with snags, tearing, or other problems. Only
          > > problem I had was that it needs to have its edge seared, unlike
          > > noseeum which does not need this treatment.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
          > > >Rick-
          > > >
          > > >Do you really mean "chiffon," or could you be talking about a
          fine
          > > nylon net

        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2003
            Rick,

            For what it's worth, I Rob Dawson, am interested in sewing my own hammock gear and making kayaks/canoes, skin on frame, again lots of sewing.....

            In fact I have become so intrigued with the idea of sewing my own gear, that i plan on making lots.

            there are lots of things i need (OK, would really like) and sewing my own will give me the satisfaction that I have made it myself. I truly believe the time spent on creating things is time well spent. Much nicer than a store bought item.

            for example, my children go to a Waldorf Steiner school... point is in grade 3, they knit hats as part of their handy craft lessons. I have been wearing one my son Aron made for the last two winters, i get laughed at because it looks a bit strange, not so good color combinations and he was not knitted evenly. But it was made by someone special to me and with love and I would not trade that for any store bought, mass produced hat!

            I guess i am old fashioned with this attitude towards homemade gear/items... well, enough of this gibberish, have to get out and finish the cob oven i am building with the kids so we can make even better bread and pizzas...

            robi

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            a3e6d.jpg
            a3efa.jpg