Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: light weight hammock failure

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
      i couldn`t help but LOL about the good laugh you guys had in surgery<G>
      but i understand (& have to agree) about it not being worth saving a few ozs on the fabric weight. after all, i dought the differance in weight would`nt be much.
      i had another fall a while back (i belive it was the webbing that broke) onto the hardwood floor...& it wasn`t a slow drop like last night.
      i belive i must have broke something in my elbow too. it was months before it got better.
      yep, i`ll be using a stronger fabric for the next one. ...tim

      Jeff Ross <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote: I had a hammock "fail" on me once. It was the rope actually. I had
      it pitched between two posts on a concrete patio. I was laying in it
      just enjoying life. 2 milliseconds later I was flat on my back on
      the concrete with agony blasting thru my elbows. One elbow wouldn't
      quit hurting even months later. Finally I went to a doctor and got
      it X-rayed. I had broken the tip of the elbow bone off, and it was
      just floating around in there. It took minor surgery to remove it.
      The doc had a sense of humor tho. While I was laying on the
      operating table in a drugged stupor, he showed me the peice of bone
      (about like a gristle covered Life Saver without the hole in it) and
      asked me if I wanted it for anything. The anesthetic they had me on
      made everything funny. We all had a good laugh.

      So I am real wary of flimsy ropes, puny trees, weak knots, and worn
      out or wimpy hammocks now. I would rather carry an extra pound or
      two of weight than have my bed collapse under me out in the
      boondocks. .. .
      .

    • Rat
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
        Hey tim, was that the herad end or the foot end? Or do you use yours
        for either, ir, no designated head or foot end? That is an interesting
        tear. It looks like it may have started in the center and ripped
        towards the sides (no tear in that one hem). Do you think it was
        because of the weight or could you find a possible fault in the
        fabric?

        I busted one not long ago. I was sitting in it putting the broadheds
        on my arrows and I dropped one of the blades. When I reached for it,
        kinda under my butt/leg area, I must have pushed the tip through the
        fabric and instantly it ripped from end to end and put me on the
        ground. I guess my point is, a very small hole can lead to
        catastrophic failure in Nylon pretty quick. Could that have been a
        possibility?

        Glad you weren't hurt, that hardwood floor looks, well, hard.

        Rat
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
          and such a purdy green hammock. glad it let you down easy...

          I have long suspected that the knot/hammock interface is where my blue
          hammock let me down. I guess this area gets a lot of stress. Maybe
          whipping will solve this in your next hammock. I havent whipped one
          yet. My last hammock seems to be holding up well but I'll keep an eye
          on it.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
            it was the end most often used as the foot, but i was using it as the head last night. i used it both ways at times.
            i dont know what to make of the tear. i added one more photo that shows an odd, angled pulling of the treads.
            i had noticed a weak spot or two in the side areas last week. i figured that`s were it would go.
            the best i can tell, it was from the stress were the fabric was bunched up tight & comming out of the knot.
            mabey there was a little more pivioting going on right there too.... i like to swing.
            hey rat... (& anyone else interrested of course), i also put a couple photos in the hot springs album that michele took of my set-up. a few weeks ago i was trying to explain an idea about covers that protect the ends of the hammock from blowing rain, but wasn`t doing to good a job of explaining it.
            what you see in the photos were just the 1st attempt. more later on the improved version. ...tim

            Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote: Hey tim, was that the herad end or the foot end? Or do you use yours

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
              Looks like you are trying to keep them from bunching up towards the
              hammock support. Good idea. I use a ridgeline so it would be even
              easier for us that do. You could also make them sliding, so that you
              could have them redy, and when it started rainind just pull the cord
              and slide them into place. They look more like a hammock bra than
              boots now. :)

              On a side note, hammocks aside, those photos look like an add for
              Croc's Footwear!

              One of these day's I'm gonna make to HS for one of these. I was
              actually in TN that weekend, but on the West end. I know, I know, it's
              only six hours.

              Rat

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                hammock bra??? naw, any thing but that<G>
                it`s really a variation of the sock, or something.
                part of the reason for the elastic cord was to keep them in a position that they would shed any water that did collect on them. that`s the mini, summer version.
                i`m thinking about one unit that would cover the outside/bottom of the hammock too. i saw a photo sgt rock had on white blaze, in the hammock section, were he had something simular on a hh. i need to email him & ask about that.
                man yeah, you should try to come on up to hot springs sometime. we had people from ohio & michigan... jeff even came in from ca. ...tim

                Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote: Looks like you are trying to keep them from bunching up towards the