light weight hammock failure

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
      report time... the hammock i was using at hot springs let me down
      last night. thank the Lord, it let me down gently, so neither i or
      the exped dam were hurt.
      i looked back through the messages on this group to try & be sure
      of things like the weight of the fabric & when i made it. i still can
      only be approximant on those things, but at least it can serve as
      somewhat of an exsample. course we know there`s always varibles.
      anyway, i belive i made it back in early spring, but i`ve been
      using it on a regular basis for about 2 months. that includes
      backpacking/camping trips and nightly at home.
      i belive the fabric was about 1.5oz per sq yard.
      i figured it would fail somewhere along the length under my pad, but
      it tore right at the knot.
      anyway, it had become my favorite hammock & i will make another w/
      the same dementions but of another fabric i found in the $1.00 bin
      that`s got a really nice feel to it, but a stronger (& heavyer) fabric.
      the width is 48", & 10' from knot to knot. the next one will be whiped.
      i liked the narrow width because i can see around just fine. i got a
      pretty flat lay in this hammock by hanging it tight (not much sag) &
      using the exped dam. so this put more force on the fabric.
      i probably wouldn`t have a problem w/ making another one from fabric as
      light as the one that just failed, but just use it for backpacking &
      not long-trem. ...tim
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
        oh yeah... i put a couple photos of the torn hammock under slowhike/
        hammock failure
      • Jeff Ross
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
          I had a hammock "fail" on me once. It was the rope actually. I had
          it pitched between two posts on a concrete patio. I was laying in it
          just enjoying life. 2 milliseconds later I was flat on my back on
          the concrete with agony blasting thru my elbows. One elbow wouldn't
          quit hurting even months later. Finally I went to a doctor and got
          it X-rayed. I had broken the tip of the elbow bone off, and it was
          just floating around in there. It took minor surgery to remove it.
          The doc had a sense of humor tho. While I was laying on the
          operating table in a drugged stupor, he showed me the peice of bone
          (about like a gristle covered Life Saver without the hole in it) and
          asked me if I wanted it for anything. The anesthetic they had me on
          made everything funny. We all had a good laugh.

          So I am real wary of flimsy ropes, puny trees, weak knots, and worn
          out or wimpy hammocks now. I would rather carry an extra pound or
          two of weight than have my bed collapse under me out in the
          boondocks.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...>

          &

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
            i couldn`t help but LOL about the good laugh you guys had in surgery<G>
            but i understand (& have to agree) about it not being worth saving a few ozs on the fabric weight. after all, i dought the differance in weight would`nt be much.
            i had another fall a while back (i belive it was the webbing that broke) onto the hardwood floor...& it wasn`t a slow drop like last night.
            i belive i must have broke something in my elbow too. it was months before it got better.
            yep, i`ll be using a stronger fabric for the next one. ...tim

            Jeff Ross <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote: I had a hammock "fail" on me once. It was the rope actually. I had
[...]

            .

          • Rat
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
              Hey tim, was that the herad end or the foot end? Or do you use yours
              for either, ir, no designated head or foot end? That is an interesting
              tear. It looks like it may have started in the center and ripped
              towards the sides (no tear in that one hem). Do you think it was
              because of the weight or could you find a possible fault in the
              fabric?

              I busted one not long ago. I was sitting in it putting the broadheds
              on my arrows and I dropped one of the blades. When I reached for it,
              kinda under my butt/leg area, I must have pushed the tip through the
              fabric and instantly it ripped from end to end and put me on the
              ground. I guess my point is, a very small hole can lead to
              catastrophic failure in Nylon pretty quick. Could that have been a
              possibility?

              Glad you weren't hurt, that hardwood floor looks, well, hard.

              Rat
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
                and such a purdy green hammock. glad it let you down easy...

                I have long suspected that the knot/hammock interface is where my blue
                hammock let me down. I guess this area gets a lot of stress. Maybe
                whipping will solve this in your next hammock. I havent whipped one
                yet. My last hammock seems to be holding up well but I'll keep an eye
                on it.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
                  it was the end most often used as the foot, but i was using it as the head last night. i used it both ways at times.
                  i dont know what to make of the tear. i added one more photo that shows an odd, angled pulling of the treads.
                  i had noticed a weak spot or two in the side areas last week. i figured that`s were it would go.
                  the best i can tell, it was from the stress were the fabric was bunched up tight & comming out of the knot.
                  mabey there was a little more pivioting going on right there too.... i like to swing.
                  hey rat... (& anyone else interrested of course), i also put a couple photos in the hot springs album that michele took of my set-up. a few weeks ago i was trying to explain an idea about covers that protect the ends of the hammock from blowing rain, but wasn`t doing to good a job of explaining it.
                  what you see in the photos were just the 1st attempt. more later on the improved version. ...tim

                  Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote: Hey tim, was that the herad end or the foot end? Or do you use yours

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Looks like you are trying to keep them from bunching up towards the
                    hammock support. Good idea. I use a ridgeline so it would be even
                    easier for us that do. You could also make them sliding, so that you
                    could have them redy, and when it started rainind just pull the cord
                    and slide them into place. They look more like a hammock bra than
                    boots now. :)

                    On a side note, hammocks aside, those photos look like an add for
                    Croc's Footwear!

                    One of these day's I'm gonna make to HS for one of these. I was
                    actually in TN that weekend, but on the West end. I know, I know, it's
                    only six hours.

                    Rat

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                      hammock bra??? naw, any thing but that<G>
                      it`s really a variation of the sock, or something.
                      part of the reason for the elastic cord was to keep them in a position that they would shed any water that did collect on them. that`s the mini, summer version.
                      i`m thinking about one unit that would cover the outside/bottom of the hammock too. i saw a photo sgt rock had on white blaze, in the hammock section, were he had something simular on a hh. i need to email him & ask about that.
                      man yeah, you should try to come on up to hot springs sometime. we had people from ohio & michigan... jeff even came in from ca. ...tim

                      Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote: Looks like you are trying to keep them from bunching up towards the