Re: cold weather set up

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
      Sounds like you have a good modification worked out. I'd love to see
      pics. You may have noticed you can tie a string from the zipper
      pull to zipper pull (on a 2-way zipper) to limit how much it will
      open. It helps to have someone do this for you after you get in
      (then leave it or remember the distance). Also cramming extra
      clothes in the foot end helps keep out drafts. However, on
      backpacking trips, extra clothes may be needed worn so might not be
      available. Any sag under you will make your back feel cold. You
      should be able to put your arm under you (between hammock and bag
      under hammock) but not flop it up and down. If this is the case you
      need to figgure a way to tighten the bags circumfrance to pull it
      snuggley under you.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "natesdenn71"
      <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

      > Hi all! I was finally able to test out my cold weather system in
      the
      > backyard. I had a footbox zipper installed in my old 20 degree
      > Slumberjack bag. This enabled me to use it around my entire
      hammock.
      > Thanks to Coy for the idea!
      >
      > Last night it reached 35F under my tarp. I moved the thermometer
      > inside my bag and got a reading of 75F. I was only wearing a long
      > sleeve T and jeans, cotton socks. I had my patagonia wool blend
      > stocking cap on too.
      >
      > I slept nice and toasty until 5am when nature called. I noticed at
      > 5am my back was slightly chilly. I guess this was caused by the
      > footbox zipper coming completely unzipped causing a draft
      underneath
      > me. On "real" trips I plan on dressing more for the weather and
      if it
      > plans to get really cold I will bring my homemade top quilt. I can
      > also rig the zipper so it won't come completely unzipped.
      >
      > I would like to add some sort of wind layer to the bottom. I am
      > looking at designing something to the JRB weathershield bottom.
      >
      > Overall, I am pleased with this set up and hope to try it out on a
      > "real" trip soon. If anyone would like to see some pics, I can
      post
      > some. Let me know.

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
        wrote:

        > If anyone would like to see some pics, I can post
        > some. Let me know.

        You kiddin?! Pics are always needed!!

        Never thought about using a Weather Shield with a bag like that. Let
        us know how it works when you try it.

        Jeff
      • robert hanlon
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
          yea i would like to know more, i went camping last weekend and i just
          about froze! i ended up gettting up at about 2 in the morning, taking
          my tarp down and using it as a back pad. that helped. Also, i posted a
          comment a couple weeks ago about keeping the rain out. I tied chords
          to my strings and i got soaked none the less, so i was convieniently
          cold and wet, the whole weekend. Luckily it rained on our first night,
          making sure everything was soaked for the whole trip. oh well, i felt
          like one hell of a trooper for 3 days.

          > > If anyone would like to see some pics, I can post
          > > some. Let me know.
          >
          > You kiddin?! Pics are always needed!!
          >
          > Never thought about using a Weather Shield with a bag like that. Let
          > us know how it works when you try it.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Nathan Denn
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
            I currently away from home for a few days and will post some pics as soon as I get back. My hammock is still set up in the back yard minus the sleeping bag! As for adjustment on the bag, it has two places to cinch it up inside. One is around the shoulder and the other is around the midsection. When around the hammock these cinches are above my head and at my shoulder respectively. This really brings it in close to the hammock. Unfortunately when I had the zipper installed in the footbox, I didnt have a double zipper installed. I thought of this much too late.

            Right now I zip it closed as much as possible. The bag is a litttle lop sided but doesnt seem to be a problem. I think I have a way to keep the zipper closed. I will try it out sometime when I get home.

            I emailed the guy from kick ass quilts to see if he could sew me a weather shield similiar to his quilts. I am sure he is uber busy and I havent heard back yet. If not, I think I will try to sew one myself. I few months back I rigged a tarp underneath the hammock taco style and seemed to work well. It is just heavy.

            Pics say a thousand words and this will be true once I get them posted.

            -Nate

            Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
            -John Muir

          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
              Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.

              I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the low 20*s
              and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad has a R7
              rating.

              The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear, Possum down
              socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a quilt on
              top and slept directly on the TR pad.

              This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer hammock with
              PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm totally sold on
              under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.

              My sleeping kit:
              Speer 8.0A hammock
              Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
              Speer PeaPod
              Speer TopBlanket
              HH Explorer UL Asym
              HH Hyperlight
              JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
              TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
              Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
              Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
              Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants

              I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder temps.

              This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
              the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
              my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.

              Rich
            • John
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Richard Perlman <richard@...>
                wrote:

                > Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.
                >
                > I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the
                low 20*s
                > and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad
                has a R7
                > rating.
                >
                > The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear,
                Possum down
                > socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a
                quilt on
                > top and slept directly on the TR pad.
                >
                > This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer
                hammock with
                > PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm
                totally sold on
                > under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.
                >
                > My sleeping kit:
                > Speer 8.0A hammock
                > Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
                > Speer PeaPod
                > Speer TopBlanket
                > HH Explorer UL Asym
                > HH Hyperlight
                > JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
                > TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
                > Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
                > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
                > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants
                >
                > I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder
                temps.

                > This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
                > the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
                > my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.
                >
                > Rich

                Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
                great for me too! All my trips these days are in western Montana
                so, even May thru October, I have to be ready for hard freezes and
                nasty weather. I therefore carry insulated clothing all the time
                and using it for a sleep system gives me double-usage. I use
                Integral Designs' Dolomitti jacket w/hood and Denali pants (since
                replaced by BMW's Cocoon pants). If it's in the middle of summer
                and hard freezes don't look like a realistic possibility I'll leave
                the pants at home. The rest is the typical collection of balaclava,
                fresh wool socks and booties, long underware and fleece mittens. I
                use the 7oz Oware pad and usually clip a light fleece throw to it
                for a total of 21oz for that under insulation. To date, I've only
                used a sleeping bag as a quilt once, all other times I didn't use,
                or need, a top cover/bag. I have added a quilt to extend my range
                but haven't used it in cold weather hammocking yet.

                All this has kept me comfortable to the high-20s which I expected it
                to do. The unanticipated benefit was the late-night Nature
                calls...already dressed including booties, I just drop out of the
                Hennessy, walk to a good tree :) and return. No struggling with
                putting on clothes in the cold, no cold sleeping bag to return to,
                etc. No early morning dressing in the cold, either. I just
                wait 'til temps are 'more comfortable.'

                john
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jmgarberson@...> wrote:
                  > Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
                  > great for me too!

                  I've always done this, even before converting to hammocks. I've
                  always thought it odd that people don't pay more attention to it. The
                  colder it gets the greater the proportion of insulation that must be
                  shifted to protective clothing. What's the point of having a
                  bombproof cold-weather hammock setup if you freeze yourself numb
                  fixing breakfast and packing up?

                  Doug Frost
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                    i agree. makes sense to me that the clothing that keeps me warm when i`m up, is part of my sleep system. & like you said, makes getting up less of a shock. ....tim