cold weather set up

  • natesdenn71
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi all! I was finally able to test out my cold weather system in the
      backyard. I had a footbox zipper installed in my old 20 degree
      Slumberjack bag. This enabled me to use it around my entire hammock.
      Thanks to Coy for the idea!

      Last night it reached 35F under my tarp. I moved the thermometer
      inside my bag and got a reading of 75F. I was only wearing a long
      sleeve T and jeans, cotton socks. I had my patagonia wool blend
      stocking cap on too.

      I slept nice and toasty until 5am when nature called. I noticed at
      5am my back was slightly chilly. I guess this was caused by the
      footbox zipper coming completely unzipped causing a draft underneath
      me. On "real" trips I plan on dressing more for the weather and if it
      plans to get really cold I will bring my homemade top quilt. I can
      also rig the zipper so it won't come completely unzipped.

      I would like to add some sort of wind layer to the bottom. I am
      looking at designing something to the JRB weathershield bottom.

      Overall, I am pleased with this set up and hope to try it out on a
      "real" trip soon. If anyone would like to see some pics, I can post
      some. Let me know.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
        Sounds like you have a good modification worked out. I'd love to see
        pics. You may have noticed you can tie a string from the zipper
        pull to zipper pull (on a 2-way zipper) to limit how much it will
        open. It helps to have someone do this for you after you get in
        (then leave it or remember the distance). Also cramming extra
        clothes in the foot end helps keep out drafts. However, on
        backpacking trips, extra clothes may be needed worn so might not be
        available. Any sag under you will make your back feel cold. You
        should be able to put your arm under you (between hammock and bag
        under hammock) but not flop it up and down. If this is the case you
        need to figgure a way to tighten the bags circumfrance to pull it
        snuggley under you.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "natesdenn71"
        <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

        > Hi all! I was finally able to test out my cold weather system in
        the
        > backyard. I had a footbox zipper installed in my old 20 degree
        > Slumberjack bag. This enabled me to use it around my entire
        hammock.
        > Thanks to Coy for the idea!
        >
        > Last night it reached 35F under my tarp. I moved the thermometer
        > inside my bag and got a reading of 75F. I was only wearing a long
        > sleeve T and jeans, cotton socks. I had my patagonia wool blend
        > stocking cap on too.
        >
        > I slept nice and toasty until 5am when nature called. I noticed at
        > 5am my back was slightly chilly. I guess this was caused by the
        > footbox zipper coming completely unzipped causing a draft
        underneath
        > me. On "real" trips I plan on dressing more for the weather and
        if it
        > plans to get really cold I will bring my homemade top quilt. I can
        > also rig the zipper so it won't come completely unzipped.
        >
        > I would like to add some sort of wind layer to the bottom. I am
        > looking at designing something to the JRB weathershield bottom.
        >
        > Overall, I am pleased with this set up and hope to try it out on a
        > "real" trip soon. If anyone would like to see some pics, I can
        post
        > some. Let me know.

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
          wrote:

          > If anyone would like to see some pics, I can post
          > some. Let me know.

          You kiddin?! Pics are always needed!!

          Never thought about using a Weather Shield with a bag like that. Let
          us know how it works when you try it.

          Jeff
        • robert hanlon
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
            yea i would like to know more, i went camping last weekend and i just
            about froze! i ended up gettting up at about 2 in the morning, taking
            my tarp down and using it as a back pad. that helped. Also, i posted a
            comment a couple weeks ago about keeping the rain out. I tied chords
            to my strings and i got soaked none the less, so i was convieniently
            cold and wet, the whole weekend. Luckily it rained on our first night,
            making sure everything was soaked for the whole trip. oh well, i felt
            like one hell of a trooper for 3 days.

            > > If anyone would like to see some pics, I can post
            > > some. Let me know.
            >
            > You kiddin?! Pics are always needed!!
            >
            > Never thought about using a Weather Shield with a bag like that. Let
            > us know how it works when you try it.
            >
            > Jeff

          • Nathan Denn
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
              I currently away from home for a few days and will post some pics as soon as I get back. My hammock is still set up in the back yard minus the sleeping bag! As for adjustment on the bag, it has two places to cinch it up inside. One is around the shoulder and the other is around the midsection. When around the hammock these cinches are above my head and at my shoulder respectively. This really brings it in close to the hammock. Unfortunately when I had the zipper installed in the footbox, I didnt have a double zipper installed. I thought of this much too late.

              Right now I zip it closed as much as possible. The bag is a litttle lop sided but doesnt seem to be a problem. I think I have a way to keep the zipper closed. I will try it out sometime when I get home.

              I emailed the guy from kick ass quilts to see if he could sew me a weather shield similiar to his quilts. I am sure he is uber busy and I havent heard back yet. If not, I think I will try to sew one myself. I few months back I rigged a tarp underneath the hammock taco style and seemed to work well. It is just heavy.

              Pics say a thousand words and this will be true once I get them posted.

              -Nate

              Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
              -John Muir

            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.

                I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the low 20*s
                and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad has a R7
                rating.

                The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear, Possum down
                socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a quilt on
                top and slept directly on the TR pad.

                This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer hammock with
                PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm totally sold on
                under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.

                My sleeping kit:
                Speer 8.0A hammock
                Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
                Speer PeaPod
                Speer TopBlanket
                HH Explorer UL Asym
                HH Hyperlight
                JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
                TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
                Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
                Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
                Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants

                I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder temps.

                This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
                the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
                my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.

                Rich
              • John
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Richard Perlman <richard@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Sorry for the late reply. I'm way behind on reading this group.
                  >
                  > I've used a 25" x 2" TR in a HH Explorer UL Asym many times to the
                  low 20*s
                  > and have been perfectly warm. I called TR and they said the pad
                  has a R7
                  > rating.
                  >
                  > The rest of the clothing was medium weight Duofold long underwear,
                  Possum down
                  > socks, and fleece balaclava. I used a TNF Blue Kazoo (20*) as a
                  quilt on
                  > top and slept directly on the TR pad.
                  >
                  > This system is awesome, but H E A V Y ! Now that I have a Speer
                  hammock with
                  > PeaPod and TopBlanket, I'll never sleep on a pad again. I'm
                  totally sold on
                  > under-the-hammock/around-the-hammock insulation.
                  >
                  > My sleeping kit:
                  > Speer 8.0A hammock
                  > Speer 8' x 10' silnylon fly
                  > Speer PeaPod
                  > Speer TopBlanket
                  > HH Explorer UL Asym
                  > HH Hyperlight
                  > JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt/Under Quilt
                  > TNF Blue Kazoo bag 20*
                  > Big Agnes Horse Thief bag 35* (top bag, bottom has no insulation)
                  > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pullover
                  > Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon pants
                  >
                  > I like HH in summer when bugs are present and Speer in colder
                  temps.

                  > This "modular" approach allows mixing and matching gear to meet
                  > the temperature. Being able to use insulated clothing as part of
                  > my sleep system allows me to use a lighter bag, saving real weight.
                  >
                  > Rich

                  Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
                  great for me too! All my trips these days are in western Montana
                  so, even May thru October, I have to be ready for hard freezes and
                  nasty weather. I therefore carry insulated clothing all the time
                  and using it for a sleep system gives me double-usage. I use
                  Integral Designs' Dolomitti jacket w/hood and Denali pants (since
                  replaced by BMW's Cocoon pants). If it's in the middle of summer
                  and hard freezes don't look like a realistic possibility I'll leave
                  the pants at home. The rest is the typical collection of balaclava,
                  fresh wool socks and booties, long underware and fleece mittens. I
                  use the 7oz Oware pad and usually clip a light fleece throw to it
                  for a total of 21oz for that under insulation. To date, I've only
                  used a sleeping bag as a quilt once, all other times I didn't use,
                  or need, a top cover/bag. I have added a quilt to extend my range
                  but haven't used it in cold weather hammocking yet.

                  All this has kept me comfortable to the high-20s which I expected it
                  to do. The unanticipated benefit was the late-night Nature
                  calls...already dressed including booties, I just drop out of the
                  Hennessy, walk to a good tree :) and return. No struggling with
                  putting on clothes in the cold, no cold sleeping bag to return to,
                  etc. No early morning dressing in the cold, either. I just
                  wait 'til temps are 'more comfortable.'

                  john
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jmgarberson@...> wrote:
                    > Incorporating insulated clothing into my sleep system has worked out
                    > great for me too!

                    I've always done this, even before converting to hammocks. I've
                    always thought it odd that people don't pay more attention to it. The
                    colder it gets the greater the proportion of insulation that must be
                    shifted to protective clothing. What's the point of having a
                    bombproof cold-weather hammock setup if you freeze yourself numb
                    fixing breakfast and packing up?

                    Doug Frost
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                      i agree. makes sense to me that the clothing that keeps me warm when i`m up, is part of my sleep system. & like you said, makes getting up less of a shock. ....tim