Re: Peapod Taper

  • abok731
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
      Hi David, depends on your design. First, Are you making a
      down-stuffed pod or just a shell (it seems that Risk designed just a
      shell that he fills with on-site materials - leaves, clothes, etc)?

      If just a shell then you should be able to lay out your rectangle and
      just make the cuts as per Risk and then sew it up. Indeed, you could
      cut it completely in half lengthwise and then make a middle extension
      piece and add that and then sew it up.

      _________________
      | \ / |
      | \ / |
      | \ / |
      | \/ |
      | |
      | |
      | /\ |
      | / \ |
      | / \ |
      | / \ |
      |___/________\___|

      If on the other hand, you're making a down stuffed pod (like I am) and
      say, have stuffed it already, the task is a bit harder, but I think
      doable. Make parallel stitching following the diagonals in the
      diagram above about 1/2" apart. Cut between the stitching (two rows
      will keep all your down contained). Sew up as per Risk. The left
      over stuffed triangles can be recycled to prevent lines of cold spots
      along the new seams. If you haven't stuffed it yet, just do what I
      suggest for the just a shell case.

      As for adding length, in either case, I would just cut pieces to fit
      the ends and sew them on. If just a shell fine, and if down stuffed,
      the bitter ends don't really insulate anything anyway - just hold the
      pod on the hammock.

      Hope this helps.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"