Re: Peapod Taper

  • David Wills
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27 10:05 PM
      Aww, I wish I would have seen that before I made my 8x5" pea pod. Any
      ideas on how to convert an 8x5 rectangle to one of those, but 6-12"
      longer, or should I just start a new one?
      I did have an idea though, to increase the shoulder girth of a pod and
      get velcro off of your face, if you use it to keep your pods together.
      make an insulated triangle with opposing velcro on two sides to insert
      under your chin. About 6"x6"x6" finished volume is about what would
      give me enough shoulder room for my hammock to expand for more
      comfort. Just a thought, I haven't made one yet.

      David from Blairsville
    • abok731
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28 1:17 PM
        Hi David, depends on your design. First, Are you making a
        down-stuffed pod or just a shell (it seems that Risk designed just a
        shell that he fills with on-site materials - leaves, clothes, etc)?

        If just a shell then you should be able to lay out your rectangle and
        just make the cuts as per Risk and then sew it up. Indeed, you could
        cut it completely in half lengthwise and then make a middle extension
        piece and add that and then sew it up.

        _________________
        | \ / |
        | \ / |
        | \ / |
        | \/ |
        | |
        | |
        | /\ |
        | / \ |
        | / \ |
        | / \ |
        |___/________\___|

        If on the other hand, you're making a down stuffed pod (like I am) and
        say, have stuffed it already, the task is a bit harder, but I think
        doable. Make parallel stitching following the diagonals in the
        diagram above about 1/2" apart. Cut between the stitching (two rows
        will keep all your down contained). Sew up as per Risk. The left
        over stuffed triangles can be recycled to prevent lines of cold spots
        along the new seams. If you haven't stuffed it yet, just do what I
        suggest for the just a shell case.

        As for adding length, in either case, I would just cut pieces to fit
        the ends and sew them on. If just a shell fine, and if down stuffed,
        the bitter ends don't really insulate anything anyway - just hold the
        pod on the hammock.

        Hope this helps.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"