Peapod Taper

  • abok731
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
      Hi, I'm going to make my own peapod to fit my Spear-type hammock. My
      question is do I taper the pod near the ends? I think I may be able
      to save some weight since the circumference around the hammock is less
      near my shoulders and knees than around the middle. Experience,
      comments?
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2006
        Here is a page with measurements that work out for me:

        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

        Rick

        abok731 wrote:
        > Hi, I'm going to make my own peapod to fit my Spear-type hammock. My
        > question is do I taper the pod near the ends? I think I may be able
        > to save some weight since the circumference around the hammock is less
        > near my shoulders and knees than around the middle. Experience,
        > comments?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Wills
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2006
          Aww, I wish I would have seen that before I made my 8x5" pea pod. Any
          ideas on how to convert an 8x5 rectangle to one of those, but 6-12"
          longer, or should I just start a new one?
          I did have an idea though, to increase the shoulder girth of a pod and
          get velcro off of your face, if you use it to keep your pods together.
          make an insulated triangle with opposing velcro on two sides to insert
          under your chin. About 6"x6"x6" finished volume is about what would
          give me enough shoulder room for my hammock to expand for more
          comfort. Just a thought, I haven't made one yet.

          David from Blairsville
        • abok731
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
            Hi David, depends on your design. First, Are you making a
            down-stuffed pod or just a shell (it seems that Risk designed just a
            shell that he fills with on-site materials - leaves, clothes, etc)?

            If just a shell then you should be able to lay out your rectangle and
            just make the cuts as per Risk and then sew it up. Indeed, you could
            cut it completely in half lengthwise and then make a middle extension
            piece and add that and then sew it up.

            _________________
            | \ / |
            | \ / |
            | \ / |
            | \/ |
            | |
            | |
            | /\ |
            | / \ |
            | / \ |
            | / \ |
            |___/________\___|

            If on the other hand, you're making a down stuffed pod (like I am) and
            say, have stuffed it already, the task is a bit harder, but I think
            doable. Make parallel stitching following the diagonals in the
            diagram above about 1/2" apart. Cut between the stitching (two rows
            will keep all your down contained). Sew up as per Risk. The left
            over stuffed triangles can be recycled to prevent lines of cold spots
            along the new seams. If you haven't stuffed it yet, just do what I
            suggest for the just a shell case.

            As for adding length, in either case, I would just cut pieces to fit
            the ends and sew them on. If just a shell fine, and if down stuffed,
            the bitter ends don't really insulate anything anyway - just hold the
            pod on the hammock.

            Hope this helps.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"